Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Given that is what is being talked about, it is distracting and borderline disingenuous to conflate "it is acceptable to restrict speech based on these parameters" with "it is acceptable to restrict the content of speech based on these parameters".

So, yes, the argument "speech can be restricted because threats are illegal" isn't really relevant.
    "These parameters" being the content of said speech.

It's not a conflation of two separate arguments. It's one argument. You're the one trying to separate the act of speaking content-free gibberish from the concept everyone else refers to as "free speech", and that is disingenuous. If we're talking about freedom of speech, the content of said speech is what's relevant.

Which is why it applies to things that AREN'T explicitly sounds made by one's vocal chords, and includes newspapers and other print media, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not a conflation of two separate arguments.
    Yes it very much is, and you are flat out lying by pretending it's not.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Because it is.
    Except its not, most people would have a hard time figuring out my race yet I seem to be no different than the people that grew up with the same values. Race is pretty much meaningless, its what you do and who you are as a person that defines you. I feel sorry for people that think of themselves as limited by their race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's really more about how your race or perceived race influences other people in their interactions with you.
    Which was the point I was making in the original statement that Jotaux is deliberately and maliciously misquoting. And they know that, because this has been pointed out to them about half a dozen times already. They're just trying to bait me, for some reason.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-05-11 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    (Re)trainings of intellectuals by bureaucrats and apparatchiks have a long and ignoble history; I hope you’ll keep that history in mind as you think about this instance.

Now he’s the subject of two disciplinary proceedings – one for “unprofessional conduct” and one for “harassment” – and he is reportedly resigning after the 2017-2018 academic year.
    Quod erat demonstrandum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    He should be fired. There is no room for such intolerance in education.
    Based on the quote, what he's intolerant of is wasting his time.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2017-05-11 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Except its not, most people would have a hard time figuring out my race yet I seem to be no different than the people that grew up with the same values. Race is pretty much meaningless, its what you do and who you are as a person that defines you. I feel sorry for people that think of themselves as limited by their race.
    Except it is. How people treat you because of your race heavily influences your life experiences. While I was studying in australia, do you think I would be treated the same if I had been white instead of what I am? Or when I visited usa as a tourist? I had people specifically harassme because of my race.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-05-11 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    These two aren't polar opposites of each other? One supposedly wants to bring you all into the fold under one mind and culture of Marxism/Communism. The other train everyone to be different and its ok?
    Diversity training tries to force equality and fairness. How is this different than Marxist doctrine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Exactly.

This is why identity politics is going to cause liberals to lose a lot of elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Diversity training tries to force equality and fairness. How is this different than Marxist doctrine?

It why I asked the question for clarification. I was not sure. It seemed that Marxist is counter to diversify but in fact they could be one in the same.