Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    ...It is a quality, tell me why it isn't?
    In what way, specifically, is Theresa May personally "in the pocket of big business"? I assume you think she is, as your position on Corbyn's suitability for the job of prime minister as opposed to Theresa May's appears to hinge on that issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You forgot to list the qualities you think Corbyn has that would make him a good prime minister. I'd be interested to read them.
    Everything else has very low priority for me other than the reason I stated. I just really want someone who isn't a bitch of the corporations and won't immediately get a seat on a directors board in a bank or something the second they leave office.

I'm continually amazed other people don't understand why it is so important for a PM to be represent the people not corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Everything else has very low priority for me other than the reason I stated. I just really want someone who isn't a bitch of the corporations and won't immediately get a seat on a directors board in a bank or something the second they leave office.

I'm continually amazed other people don't understand why it is so important for a PM to be represent the people not corporations.
    So you can't think of any, fair enough.

Specifically in what way is Theresa May "a bitch of the corporations"?

Deleted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39485083

Here's Theresa May defending supplying arms to Saudi Arabia, who btw, are currently massacring civilians in Yemen. Maybe it's nothing to do with corporations, but if that's the case then she's just an idiot instead of a sellout.

Please don't think this is me saying "MAY BAD CORBYN GOOD", I've bashed corbyn myself in this very thread, I just think he's less of an asshole than May. You're welcome to try and change my mind, I will listen.

Deleted

I could, I'm just not interested in the personality-based celebrity nonsense you seem to be alluding to. I don't care how charming my plumber is, I want him to fix my shower.

I wasn't referring to Theresa May particulary. The default assumption nowadays that any politician will end up in the corporate sector if they didn't come from there. This is because almost all of them do, whatever party they are in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    But being in the pocket of the unions is A-OK?
    He's hardly in the pockets of the unions. They disagreed publicly over nuclear weapons and power.

Despite all the talk of Corbyn's "extreme leftism" he is to the right of the unions on many issues.

The default assumption nowadays that any politician will end up in the corporate sector if they didn't come from there. This is because almost all of them do, whatever party they are in
    should politicians be banned from having jobs once they move on from politics?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    should politicians be banned from having jobs once they move on from politics?
    That shouldn't be necessary. These jobs are usually no more than kickbacks from favours given in office. It is corruption plain and simple that is the problem, not the issue of giving politicians employment itself.

These jobs are usually no more than kickbacks from favours given in office. It is corruption plain and simple that is the problem
    and your proof of this is? all politicians apart from Jeremy Corbyn being obviously evil and corrupt and only in it for themselves doesn't count
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2017-05-11 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Not sure Blair is as evangelical as you’re making him out to be. Anyway, this is a completely separate debate. In some form or another it was inevitable. The main issue is the bilateral Anglo-American action and how it was spun vs a lack of international consensus.
    Sorry for the offtopic but I distinctly remember the "post PM" interview where he said he had genuinely believed he was doign gods work. Now if you told me he was bullshitting on that, I wouldn't doubt it but he went out there on record and said it; that's all

But fair cop, looking at the votes posted a few pages back it looks as though we would have been MORE involved under a Tory leadership
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-05-11 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Sorry for the offtopic but I distinctly remember the "post PM" interview where he said he had genuinely believed he was doign gods work. Now if you told me he was bullshitting on that, I wouldn't doubt it but he went out there on record and said it; that's all

But fair cop, looking at the votes posted a few pages back it looks as though we would have been MORE involved under a Tory leadership
    Ahh ok, that must have passed me by. What a bizarre statement for him to make. This is my main problem with Tim Farron and the Lib Dems at the moment. I guess religion-bashing isn't allowed here, but evangelical christians I find hard to identify with.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Ahh ok, that must have passed me by. What a bizarre statement for him to make. This is my main problem with Tim Farron and the Lib Dems at the moment. I guess religion-bashing isn't allowed here, but evangelical christians I find hard to identify with.
    According to Jacques Chirac's official autobiography Bush believed in the Iraq war being "the battle of Gog and Amog", some kind of biblical prophecy about the end of days. Blair must have known about this.

That a UK PM could involve us in that kind of apocalyptic lunacy is a primary reason why I will never trust a "centre-left" politician again.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

and your proof of this is? all politicians apart from Jeremy Corbyn being obviously evil and corrupt and only in it for themselves doesn't count
    Look at the jobs politicians do after they leave office. It is no big secret.

He's hardly in the pockets of the unions. They disagreed publicly over nuclear weapons and power.

Despite all the talk of Corbyn's "extreme leftism" he is to the right of the unions on many issues.
    Taking 4.5 million from Unite to subsidise the spending on the GE, scrapping all trade union legislation and making every privatised sector a public one again for them to ruin, like they did the last time they had this much proposed power.

Len Mcluskey having any say in public sector going on, will vastly have a negative impact on this Country very quickly.

If that is not in the pocket of the Unions, I'm not sure what is to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleuria View Post
    Taking 4.5 million from Unite to subsidise the spending on the GE, scrapping all trade union legislation and making every privatised sector a public one again for them to ruin, like they did the last time they had this much proposed power.

Len Mcluskey having any say in public sector going on, will vastly have a negative impact on this Country very quickly.

If that is not in the pocket of the Unions, I'm not sure what is to you.
    Certainly will ruin the country. Fancy giving that much power to organised groups of workers, and writing laws to give them more power to represent those workers. Of course that will be the ruin of everything.

It's much better when you have a party that only represents big business, takes huge amounts of money from them, then enacts legislation that allows them to do pretty much anything they like to their workers without recourse. That can only have a positive impact on the country. Like suppressing wages. Zero hour contracts. Taking away legal aid for wrongful dismissal.

I assume you are running a large company then? Have a seven figure income? Lots of money going to offshore accounts? That must be why you are so scared that Labour might get into a position to redress the imbalance that has occurred in recent years. Of course, if you aren't one of those things, then I have to wonder why unions getting power scares you so much more than big business getting it. It's a head-scratcher, I can tell you.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Certainly will ruin the country. Fancy giving that much power to organised groups of workers, and writing laws to give them more power to represent those workers. Of course that will be the ruin of everything.

It's much better when you have a party that only represents big business, takes huge amounts of money from them, then enacts legislation that allows them to do pretty much anything they like to their workers without recourse. That can only have a positive impact on the country. Like suppressing wages. Zero hour contracts. Taking away legal aid for wrongful dismissal.

I assume you are running a large company then? Have a seven figure income? Lots of money going to offshore accounts? That must be why you are so scared that Labour might get into a position to redress the imbalance that has occurred in recent years. Of course, if you aren't one of those things, then I have to wonder why unions getting power scares you so much more than big business getting it. It's a head-scratcher, I can tell you.
    Yes because Trade Unions having no one to answer too is a good thing, the last time this happened, nothing ran in the UK for any legitimate amount of time and it paved the way for Thatcher and every one else after her. It's also the biggest reason the UK has never ever swung that far left again in the last 40 years.

It's not like I particularly care if Labour got into power(which they probably will not), some of the policies I think are legit but again he's probably just trying to do too much at once and I also just hate the fact that he wants to give that prick McCluskey rights to do anything he wants.

I also think if Chuka Umunna or Tom Watson, were the head of the labour party they would be in a far more beneficial position than they are now because unfortunately people just absolutely despise Corbyn/Abbott/McDonnell.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-11 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post

We had a time where unions (as much as they are needed) did run the country. It was basically the late 60s to the early 80s and basically you know how the French are mocked for striking for anything. Think of that here but 10 times worse. That's why the far left of labour will never be voted in again and why people even though they like unions want a limit on their power.

Look at the jobs politicians do after they leave office. It is no big secret.
    so politicians should be banned from all non shit jobs after leaving office, because any non shit job is obviously indicative of said politician being corrupt and evil, got it

Quote Originally Posted by Fleuria View Post
    Yes because Trade Unions having no one to answer too is a good thing, the last time this happened, nothing ran in the UK for any legitimate amount of time and it paved the way for Thatcher and every one else after her. It's also the biggest reason the UK has never ever swung that far left again in the last 40 years.

It's not like I particularly care if Labour got into power(which they probably will not), some of the policies I think are legit but again he's probably just trying to do too much at once and I also just hate the fact that he wants to give that prick McCluskey rights to do anything he wants.

I also think if Chuka Umunna or Tom Watson, were the head of the labour party they would be in a far more beneficial position than they are now because unfortunately people just absolutely despise Corbyn/Abbott/McDonnell.
    So the solution is to put ALL the power in the hands of the bosses?

I'm not suggesting that unions should have all the power. Just a fair share of it. Checks and balances to stop one side from tilting things too far their way. There is no question things are too far in favour of business at the moment, and things need to be re-balanced. The only way we will get that is throwing the Tories out. Otherwise you will be seeing a lot of the protections that unions fought for going west in the bonfire of the rights that will take place in a Tory Brexit.

- - - Updated - - -

so politicians should be banned from all non shit jobs after leaving office, because any non shit job is obviously indicative of said politician being corrupt and evil, got it
    Again, it's balance. I have no problem with politicians getting decent jobs after they finish. I have slightly more of a problem with them getting directorships in companies that they sold national assets to at a knock-down price. A conflict of interest is still a conflict after the event.

Anyway, have you seen the pensions that MPs get? It's not like they need to work after they leave.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Given the rise of the precariat and the explosion in food bank use I'm struggling to see how increased leverage or at least security for workers could possibly be considered a bad thing. No one wants a return to the bad days but that's not an excuse to be against Unions in principle.

Edit: Since we were talking about Labour policies being popular but the brand toxic earlier; a series of interesting tweets.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/st...78249985888256
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/st...77992199770112
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/st...77870309101568
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2017-05-11 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    God I hope the Tories get a big enough majority to cut some more disability benefits. Maybe even Pension Credit too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    God I hope the Tories get a big enough majority to cut some more disability benefits. Maybe even Pension Credit too.
    yeah fuck those people!!!

/s

sorry if your post was already sarcastic, hard to tell :P

OT: while i do personally know at least 4 people who fraudulently claim certain benefits and even one that manage dot get himself a council flat and all that, cutting those benefits just hurts the people who really need them more than anything.