Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    There should never be a cookie cutter build. There should be certain builds that work best against certain boss mechanics. Then randomize those mechanics EVERY boss attempt. That would totally eliminate cookie cutter builds because the perfectly optimized build is unknowable.

The reason cookie cutter builds exist is that the boss never changes.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Balancing.
    This is off topic but I just have to say your avatar triggered me so hard.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    I would really love to play my old Retri again, anything post-Wrath, minus Cata of course.

Legion is the first expansion I stopped playing my paladin after so long. I'm not really complaining, most new specs are fine and Havoc is satisfying and fun, but nothing compares to my old Retri Pala, even the WoD version. I just liked the fast playstyle, the animations and the hybrid feeling so much, it still saddens me that I had to retire this character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    then Blizzard will have to watch the meters more closely and pin down the talent that needs to be brought in line with the other talents. a hotfix every 2-3 days during the first few months of the expansion is not too much to ask for. we are talking Blizzard here.
    Then they wouldn't play like they used to. You're illustrating one of the reasons why Blizzard changes specs regularly

Players already bitch and cry because other spec from the same class do more Dps then the one they are currently using.

Now imagine that you will be able to play said spec but only if you use the worst/most boring playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yeah, but the TBC combo boosts each other's damage and provides free raid healing and mana regen.
    Dark Intent boosts damage as well, and you could boost Mana Regen and Raid Healing if the Shadow Priest went TBC. Which does sort of destroy my Combo though.

However, all this discussion proves is that there would be way too many combos with OP potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    Players already bitch and cry because other spec from the same class do more Dps then the one they are currently using.

Now imagine that you will be able to play said spec but only if you use the worst/most boring playstyle.
    Wouldn't even need to be the worst most boring play style it just needs to be the play style that isn't their favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    Every expansion we run into the same dilemma. A spec gets overhauled by Blizzard and some players love the new version, while others prefer the old one.
    Whenever they change a spell drastically or remove it completely, they should put the old version of it in the talent tree.

An elemental shaman, for example, should have the option to play his elemental the exact same way he did in MoP. There should be a talent build, that brings back the play style of MoP elemental.
    If a fire mage liked the play style of Cataclysm, then he should be able to spec into talents that allow for exactly that play style now in Legion.
    Instead of removing the hunter survival play style completely, they should have just made a talent build for MM hunters that feels exactly like survival did in WoD.
    Only ones I would want is Survival hunter pre-Legion and I would want to do BC Ret Pally again with Seal Twisting and judgement giving the buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it was 20% less dps, I would play the pre-Legion Enhancement in a heartbeat. And old demo.

But yes, please, this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you overestimate players' desire for experimentation as opposed to doing what a website tells them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Late TBC prot. warrior and mid WotLK Destro-lock were the best iterations of those specs (in my opinion) but the game would have to be rebalanced to take a lack of AoE tanking into account.
    How is MoP-era destro significantly different from Wrath destro in base playstyle?
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Every time I see an "idea" like this from players, I think they have no idea at all of what goes into programming and balancing a game like this. Or any game for that matter. It would be an enormous logistical nightmare to balance all those different playstyles to enable them to perform in a meaningful way.

Change is a serious part of MMOs. It's the only way to keep shit from getting stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    How is MoP-era destro significantly different from Wrath destro in base playstyle?
    Keep CoAgony up to for damage and to proc Molten Core (extra fire damage.)
    Keep Immolate up for good damage, it also boost Incinerate. Don't forget Conflag consumes it.
    Soulfire whenever your imp attacks proc the thing that makes it instant.
    Conflag when Immo is almost off, also activates Backdraft (best used on Shadow Bolt iirc.)
    Chaos Bolt whenever it's off cooldown, it's a slightly quicker, slightly harder hitting incinerate with funky visuals. Maybe try to make sure it doesn't consume a Backdraft charge.
    Corruption if Molten Core isn't up.
    Life Tap at opportune moments.
    Incinerate if nothing else.

Later they condensed it down and I can't remember what exactly happened (it's almost a decade ago,) but overall the theme of Destro during WotLK was really quick spell casting and seldom spamming filler thanks to the procs, DoTs and cooldowns.

scorch weaving arcane mage o.0
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There should never be a cookie cutter build. There should be certain builds that work best against certain boss mechanics. Then randomize those mechanics EVERY boss attempt. That would totally eliminate cookie cutter builds because the perfectly optimized build is unknowable.

The reason cookie cutter builds exist is that the boss never changes.
    What you ask for is actually impossible. You can't do true randomness with computers and mechanics on bosses will never be random as they would never be killed or take forever to program.

As such no matter how you build t he game there will always be cookie cutter builds as something will always be extremely superior to all the others..

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    What you ask for is actually impossible. You can't do true randomness with computers and mechanics on bosses will never be random as they would never be killed or take forever to program.

As such no matter how you build t he game there will always be cookie cutter builds as something will always be extremely superior to all the others..
    It would also make cookie cutter builds used even more if everything is random they will just take the build that gives the best odds of success every single time.

RIP MoP BM hunter, Destro, WW. I actually loved WoD ret pally though never had a pally during their supposed glory days i hear about in wrath. Rip wrath spriest while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    That would be really cool but unfortunately all the elitist players would just play the same old boring cookie cutter builds, no innovation
    Innovation is only worth it when it's an improvement, not a handicap.