Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Recordings here (Italian page, but the calls are in English):
    http://video.espresso.repubblica.it/...10368?ref=twhe

Pathetic doesn't begin to describe this.
    From the recordings, Malta stalled until the ship capsized.

13.05 - Malta is informed of the ship and takes control of the operation. Malta is also informed that they can use two fishing ships, while the navy keeps a cruiser in the area as a backup since it's their only ship at sea.

For the next few hours Malta doesn't do anything.

16.38 - Malta finally asks the Italian military to contact their ship for help. The request is first denied because they haven't even tried to contact the fishers which were supposedly closer.

17.07 - The ship capsized.

= Malta was unable to coordinate the operation, and their lack of decisiveness caused the incident.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boyaki View Post
    We did not read the same article. Apparently Italian authorities refused to act when they had to and delayed as much as possible.
    Maritime law is a thing and should not be debated when they are life in the line.
    The Coast Guard passed the information to the proper command in charge.

Sadly, Malta wasn't prepared to coordinate the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I dont have to grandstand for any dip shit on MMOC, you have me confused with some of the people in your life.

Comparing the saving of people drowning at sea to people in America needing food is a laughable joke. No one is dying tonight in the united states because of starvation, not even people in Detriot......... Come up with a decent argument if you want to to be condescending. /facepalm
    Wasn't my argument but ok...

Look sometimes its best to just admit that you did something foolish rather then dig a hole.

There is an old table-RPG joke in my country: 'are there any comfortable hiding spots in the room?' So you go to the first secure country, preferably one sharing your culture. It's hard to believe you are a refugee when you only consider Sweden or Germany safe enough.

Despicable. Hopefully everyone involved in ignoring it will face punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    Yes it is true.
    So you think the dozen of children that died were coming in to kill us? What evidence do you have to support that extremely generalist and biased assertion? There are also maritime borders with specific jurisdiction. As it is described in the article, international maritime law was broken by the Italian authorities that refused to help.
    If someone stabbed you and you called 911, and they refused to send an ambulance because you were *insert some label that people have prejudice against*, assuming things about you based on that label, you probably would find it unfair, and dare I say, illegal.
    comparing 911 to immigration is not very valid idea. 911 is a service that is provided for domestic emergency's.

there are 2 sides to the issue, no matter what you may believe is right or wrong, boths sides of the issue at hand have valid concerns on why they have chosen to be on that side. Further more as described that there is maritime laws that deal with issues like this and how a country shall react to the situation. It amazing how no one seam to care about the fact the these people, on there own, made the decision to get on a craft that was not fit, in condition, or other wise safe to travel that far out at sea with.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel nothing for them. They went on the journey knowing the risks. The navy did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I mean, you could find even with a basic Google search that there is a basic set of Western values. You're just so far down the regressive rabbit hole that you can't even acknowledge anything outside of your narrative. What I'm saying is, you're either pretending to be extremely unintelligent or you actually are extremely unintelligent.

[Infracted]
    There is a set of values which western civilizations adapted through out the history. They are not "western values" they are simply values.
    And you know what some of those values are? assimilation of human rights and the need for equality.
    One of the first mentions of these values dates back to 2500 years ago, Cyrus cylinder, which is believed to be the first charter of human rights. Yes, that's right, over 2000 years before the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizens was even written. Does that make freedom a Persian value? No! It's just a value.
    Even calling a value such as need for equality a "western value" is an oxymoron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Pretty clear, not sure why you're pretending otherwise.

I'm not shrugging anything off. You did lie. See above. That a later statement was just wrong doesn't change that.
    Nothing you quoted helps your case. After leaving Syria, which they did, they where no longer in a war zone. At that point they all became economic refuges, because they where no longer endanger of the war they where fleeing. I would also point out that their where non Syrian refugees on that boat as well.
    Last edited by Whitedragon; 2017-05-11 at 05:56 PM.

There is alot safer places to take your children then the sea and those boats are usually packet full and not safe at all, still a shitty situation though.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-05-11 at 05:59 PM.

Deleted
    Honestly scary how many that lack any kind of empathy towards this and think it's 'okay' they died.

Fucking awful thing that happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Do we personally know these people? Why should we care about 400 people out of 6 billion that are doing things they should not be doing?
    Because it is the human thing to do. I'm amazed how many people here are willing to throw away peoples lives, just because they're beyond an imaginary border you've created. We're more than happy to donate money but shun the idea of directly helping people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Honestly scary how many that lack any kind of empathy towards this and think it's 'okay' they died.

Have you considered that letting migrants in will lead to more terrorist attacks (as the one in Sweden) and other incidents such as sexual attacks in Cologne?

I am not saying they did the right thing (and honestly they were very likely just following orders), but this is not such a black and white situation as you are painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    They didn't do an SOS call. Which is quite a crucial point in this story for people to understand before pointing fingers at the Italians.
    What else then? Just casually mentioned in radio that they're drowning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Have you considered that letting migrants in will lead to more terrorist attacks (as the one in Sweden) and other incidents such as sexual attacks in Cologne?

I am not saying they did the right thing (and honestly they were very likely just following orders), but this is not such a black and white situation as you are painting.
    how many women and children have participated in terror and sexual attacks abroad?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What else then? Just casually mentioned in radio that they're drowning ?
    They didn't radio.

The guy on the boat made phone calls to coast guard headquarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

they willingly put themselves in that situation, why exactly should i feel bad for them?

Helping them only means more will come, if they realize that the road is dangerous and that they get sent back after they arive here then they will stop coming.

There are plenty of homeless people here living in canals with a heroine needle in their arms because the goverment stoped caring about them long ago.
    id wish people like that would be prioritized before we can think about doing charity for people outside our borders

And if you really want to do charity then it should be something the individual does out of his own free will not from my taxpayer money

It is depressing to read some of these posts. What the fuck is wrong with you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    how many women and children have participated in terror and sexual attacks abroad?
    I would say directly 0, indirectly possibly a few women.

But what would be your suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/upd...ss-calais-aid/

Muslim charity says 97% of refugees are working men not women and children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post

Well maybe they will now stop coming and stop endangering themselves did you think of that?

they don't come from countries of war and they only come for social benefits. Italy has 0 obligations towards them and any one who makes the shores if they are not from a war torn nation they should be sent back according to international law.

Deleted
    Maybe people would have empathy when they stop being such a horrific burden.