Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fix your ads, keep your malware away, and have your site actually run with ads on. The site slows to an absolute crawl with the ads, THAT PLAY FUCKING AUDIO WHILE I AM ON YOUTUBE LISTENING TO STUFF I WANT TO HEAR!

Fix your site's ad policies before you ask anything of me! LIKE COME THE FUCK ON WITH MALWARE, YOU KIDDING ME!

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The same as it is today probably. Premium will only add features, not remove ones that exist for you today.
    "Probably." You gonna be paying for better mods with those sweet premium dollar bills, too?

"It's not possible to check ads!! :C" So then don't have any? You people are literally infecting your users with malware and you don't give two fucks. Shame... You're just like the gold sellers.

DOWNLOAD UBLOCK - https://www.ublock.org/
    DOWNLOAD NOSCRIPT - https://noscript.net/

PS: I've always used Adblock but Adblock has decided (with its success) that they now show ads, so GO WITH UBLOCK

I'd be more than happy to pay a premium for the website the moment you completely remove the general off-topic subforum.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a virus from MMO-C in the first place is what prompted me to get an adblock and start paranoidly running two different virus scanners in case one missed something after I got my computer devirused and cleaned up. I like you guys, but I'm gonna be real here, fam, I'm not risking a $1500 computer for one website no matter how much I like it. Until I can be 500% assured that my computer won't get fried just because I'm curious about patch notes or the weekly boss rotation, ads are staying off.

I sincerely hope MMO-C doesn't pull a WoWhead and buypass (sorry, couldn't resist) adblockers so they can bog down the site with ads that take upward of over a minute to load on a PC with 12GB RAM due to the sheer volume of requests battering my adblock and slipping through because the ad agency bribed my adblocker's developer. I miss WoWhead.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many ads contain malware for me to whitelist. I need assurances before I'll do that, removing the ad after the fact means nothing to me.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Realistically, the problem with advertisements on the Internet will probably never go away. So I think you should consider offering premium services (other than removal of ads.) instead. I saw a few examples mentioned already like customized profiles (titles, color, font, signature, avatar etc), or perhaps even other venues altogether like Patreon.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    This site hardly ever gets updated with features and you're saying they're gonna have to be payed for? Years people have been asking for certain features and all those get are "no".
    For the most part I'm the entire content and development team for MMOC. Additional revenue will allow us to actually develop more features.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    "It's not possible to check ads!! :C" So then don't have any? You people are literally infecting your users with malware and you don't give two fucks. Shame... You're just like the gold sellers.
    The last time we have had a confirmed malware issue with ads was 2011.

Well, seems like i was to early at saying redirects are gone. Now i also get warnings from my provider that some malicious code is on the pages i get redirected. Good job at renewing your Ad-Partners MMO-C.

For everyone wondering what the second image says: "Harmful content found. Your device and your personal data are in danger".

So yeah, please all whitelist, it will be fun.
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    For the most part I'm the entire content and development team for MMOC. Additional revenue will allow us to actually develop more features.

Such as? Like say new forum board skins? Or an archive subforum? Custom titles?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I keep seeing people toss around this idea that somehow ads are "infecting people with malware", and really I have no idea where it comes from. Most ads don't actually contain malware. An ad being annoying =/= malware. Even if the ad in question did contain malware (it probably didn't) it can't then infect your computer by simply existing; it would require some action on your part along with having abysmal levels of security on your OS. The worst most malicious ads can do is redirect your browser to another website and tell you your computer is infected and to call a scam number listed to get it "fixed", but it's just that, a website, that doesn't mean it's installed anything to your computer, and if you go clicking on links or calling a number through such prompts, that's on you, not some other website. That said, if you're seeing behavior that kind of behavior, then your computer was likely already infected to start with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    For everyone wondering what the second image says: "Harmful content found. Your device and your personal data are in danger".

So yeah, please all whitelist, it will be fun.
    Ads like that are just a part of using mobile devices to browse the web, unfortunately. It seems ad networks give a lot more leeway to mobile ads as to what kind of content they'll allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    I keep seeing people toss around this idea that somehow ads are "infecting people with malware", and really I have no idea where it comes from. Most ads don't actually contain malware. An ad being annoying =/= malware. Even if the ad in question did contain malware (it probably didn't) it can't then infect your computer by simply existing; it would require some action on your part along with having abysmal levels of security on your OS. The worst most malicious ads can do is redirect your browser to another website and tell you your computer is infected and to call a scam number listed to get it "fixed", but it's just that, a website, that doesn't mean it's installed anything to your computer, and if you go clicking on links or calling a number through such prompts, that's on you, not some other website. That said, if you're seeing behavior that kind of behavior, then your computer was likely already infected to start with.

- - - Updated - - -

Ads like that are just a part of using mobile devices to browse the web, unfortunately. It seems ad networks give a lot more leeway to mobile ads as to what kind of content they'll allow.
    Wow, so much nonsens in just one post.
    "You can't get infected by the ads just trough existing!" -> Welcome to the Internet, u ever heard of something exotic like....i dont know...java?
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Wow, so much nonsens in just one post.
    "You can't get infected by the ads just trough existing!" -> Welcome to the Internet, u ever heard of something exotic like....i dont know...java?
    Yes, you ever heard of something exotic like... I don't know... basic security?
    Last edited by Egitel; 2017-05-12 at 05:08 AM.

Yes, you ever heard of something exotic like... I don't know... basic security?
    That isn't how that works. There are hundreds of thousands of new viruses and malware created every single day. It takes time for any system to update its database to protect from them. You can be infected just by the ads being there and opened. They transmit data straight to your computer. In order to view Anything on the internet, the data is downloaded to your computer and then opened and viewed.

That is why ads are so dangerous. Especially when the website hosting them doesn't try to filter them at all. You end up with computers getting infected because an ad was on your website that was carrying an infection. That is why most people won't whitelist a site. I, like many others, Wont whitelist any sites. This one included. Its too much of a risk. Even with up to date programs to fight them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    That isn't how that works. There are hundreds of thousands of new viruses and malware created every single day. It takes time for any system to update its database to protect from them. You can be infected just by the ads being there and opened. They transmit data straight to your computer. In order to view Anything on the internet, the data is downloaded to your computer and then opened and viewed.

That is why ads are so dangerous. Especially when the website hosting them doesn't try to filter them at all. You end up with computers getting infected because an ad was on your website that was carrying an infection. That is why most people won't whitelist a site. I, like many others, Wont whitelist any sites. This one included. Its too much of a risk. Even with up to date programs to fight them off.
    I do this for work, I'm well aware of how anti-viruses and anti-malware databases work, along with the concept of zero-day exploits, etc. The time it takes for security providers to add signatures to their database is typically a few hours of it being discovered so it's usually a non-issue for the average person but all that is beside the point. My point is saying things like "You people are literally infecting your users with malware and you don't give two fucks." is a gross exaggeration both on the presumption that Chaud et al. don't care, and the idea that "carrier" ads are just so incredibly rampant on legitimate websites which simply isn't true (I'm speaking mainly about browsing on a PC, I know mobile devices get sketchy ads from basically everywhere).

Also, yes, the data is downloaded to your computer and viewed through a browser, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily capable of installing or running tasks automatically without your input. Security programs don't need a database to detect tasks on your computer trying to run without your approval and even modern Windows is good enough to prevent a lot of that behavior on its own. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and the fight between malware and security is constantly evolving, but generally speaking people who have serious infections aren't getting them from sites like MMO-Champion.

With regard to white-listing, I agree completely. I visit sites less when they start pestering me about it and I refuse to visit pages altogether that require it (i.e. Forbes). My original point wasn't exactly in defense of ads, it was more meant to point out that hyperbole doesn't really help anyone here and it's pretty easy to express the general dislike of ads (and their potential risks) without making it personal against those providing the service that is this website.

I do this for work, I'm well aware of how anti-viruses and anti-malware databases work, along with the concept of zero-day exploits, etc. The time it takes for security providers to add signatures to their database is typically a few hours of it being discovered so it's usually a non-issue for the average person but all that is beside the point. My point is saying things like "You people are literally infecting your users with malware and you don't give two fucks." is a gross exaggeration both on the presumption that Chaud et al. don't care, and the idea that "carrier" ads are just so incredibly rampant on legitimate websites which simply isn't true (I'm speaking mainly about browsing on a PC, I know mobile devices get sketchy ads from basically everywhere).

Also, yes, the data is downloaded to your computer and viewed through a browser, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily capable of installing or running tasks automatically without your input. Security programs don't need a database to detect tasks on your computer trying to run without your approval and even modern Windows is good enough to prevent a lot of that behavior on its own. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and the fight between malware and security is constantly evolving, but generally speaking people who have serious infections aren't getting them from sites like MMO-Champion.

With regard to white-listing, I agree completely. I visit sites less when they start pestering me about it and I refuse to visit pages altogether that require it (i.e. Forbes). My original point wasn't exactly in defense of ads, it was more meant to point out that hyperbole doesn't really help anyone here and it's pretty easy to express the general dislike of ads (and their potential risks) without making it personal against those providing the service that is this website.
    I can see all that. I think their response is purely because of the fact that he says they don't even try to filter anything while others have pointed out that there are websites who do at least try to filter them. It gets frustrating being asked to white list the site while being told they won't at least attempt to do some filtering. So its probably got a few upset.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

You can just ask adblock to block the notification

I used to not use adblocker here, but it was so slow from the ads that i had to use it. Can you fix ad slowdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I can see all that. I think their response is purely because of the fact that he says they don't even try to filter anything while others have pointed out that there are websites who do at least try to filter them. It gets frustrating being asked to white list the site while being told they won't at least attempt to do some filtering. So its probably got a few upset.
    Yeah, I see the frustration, but I also think it's a step in the right direction that they're even asking our feedback on this issue and I appreciate the opportunity to be heard on this matter. That said, I suppose even the most visceral of reactions are technically feedback and probably still useful toward the original purpose of this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I used to not use adblocker here, but it was so slow from the ads that i had to use it. Can you fix ad slowdown?
    That's my big thing. This is one site where I would consider white-listing if the performance impact of the ads were reduced. I do appreciate what this site has to offer especially with the front page news during PTR and expansion cycles, etc., Failing that, the occasional request to white-list isn't a deal breaker for me, just don't force me to white-list in order to view the site, as that will cause me to just quit it altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have enjoyed being on this site for eight years now but I can't whitelist it. It's too risky and there has been little communication beforehand about how damn annoying these ads are for us. People were burnt once by the malware--why would anyone try to risk that again? It's not worth it, I am sorry. Without proper reassurance and proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.