View Poll Results: Should mounts in older dungeons and raids (pre-current expac) drop within 50 runs?

Voters
289. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Eventually you should be rewarded for all your effort.

69 23.88%
  • No - Get it the old fashioned way... loser.

203 70.24%
  • Other - Explained below cause Yes or No is not an option for me.

17 5.88%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    "Get it the old fashioned way... loser." is really a bit of elitist way of seeing things. If I missed out a raid tier, or an expansion alltogether, for whatever reason, I should be permanently excluded from getting a mount from that era? (Or did I misunderstand what this option means)

It's a really a hard question, since you can solo stuff with ease (hell, you could solo pre-MoP stuff even on lvl 100 with early raid gear), so you don't put in nearly as much effort to it than you did "back then", and also it could take a shitload of time. Even if a mount was garanteed to drop on a kill "back then", if you were unlucky with the rolls, it could take you 20 weeks... Or even more if you missed kills.
    Hoever, for example I killed HC Alysrazor over 50 times (8 on my current main, 30 on my WoD main, and another 18 times on my WoD alts), still didn't see the mount drop. And since "farming Cata raids for money" is no longer a viable option, because Legion mobs drop a shitload of money (and the WoW token costs nearly 200k gold), so the money you can gather from Cata raid farming is basically chump change, I kinda stopped farming the place.

But well, I doubt there's a perfect solution for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. As much as I hate RNG, and trust me I do, this is one of the rare circumstances where RNG is good for the game. Keeping rare mounts rare.

Believe me I feel the pain and frustration farming mounts can cause. It took me nearly 300 runs to get Invincible. By the end of it I never wanted to look at ICC again. I know how awful that feels... but at the end of the day, it's good for the game that these mounts are hard to obtain.

Deleted
    Never liked the pvp exclusive armored glad mounts for top 5% arena players vs top 5% raiders getting one drop that 2 expansions laters riding common as trash farm mounts.

All farmable or none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    You did not.
    I noticed that too, and was going to respond the way you did, until I saw your post.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

As someone who has grinded out and had bad luck with many mounts including 300 runs for Mimiron's Head, leave it as it is.

Mount drops are not a right just because you invested time. It's random, and better yet you will eventually earn it no matter what if you're determined enough (excluding extremely bad luck). Many mounts like the Clutch of Ji-Kun are rare because of the fact that few people are willing to endure a dungeon that long just for a chance at a mount, and in my opinion that's how it should be. Some people might get it out of fun transmog runs, some people might grind for 100+ ToTs and not see either mount. That's the nature of the game, and if it were any different it would not feel satisfying to finish the grind.

Deleted
    The whole point of it being 100% was that you actually had to work for it, even if farming Firelands in DS HC gear wasn't very challenging, you still needed a set up and Raggy was ...probably harder than Madness :thinking:

Dropping to 1% is fine, Invincible took me 236 kills and I don't regret it for one damn second.

I m in that small % of people that believe if you didnt get your mount/title when it was active on the current expansion/raid
    then you shouldnt get it at all - ever!
    I really enjoy seeing people with unobtainable mounts/titles Scarab Lord , Hand of A'dal , Deaths Demise
    But thats just me i guess

Deleted
    I think that if you managed to complete 100 runs on your account without the mount dropping, then you should get it in your mailbox in the case of a 1% dropchance. We also should not have a dropchance below 1%. The Love Rocket Mount is an abomination. But if something has a better droprate like 10% or something, then bad luck protection is probably not needed.

With the question overall....No I don't think they should be guaranteed at some point. Would I like to have most? Sure. But once I get them then I don't have much reason to go back to those old raids. At least now when I'm in the mood for mog farming on my alts, it gives me extra incentive to actually go there and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    I don't care whether I am called a noob but I reckon that if you do the Firelands raid for example, you should have a guaranteed chance of getting the flying mount.. as proof of having done the raid... I have soloed that place 200 odd times on Mythic and never got the mount.
    Well, that is why you haven't gotten the mount. There is no mythic version. So solo'ing a non-existent version won't net you a mount. Also, there are "guaranteed" mounts for say Firelands. It's called the meta-achievement for the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    No, unless is the mount from deathwing, fucking asshole drop your god damn drake so i can get my achievement
    I think either the raid ones should be omitted from the achievement or something on those. Getting that achievement is 0.1% on top of 0.1% on top of 0.1% (think there are 3 raid mounts with each being 0.1%?)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I have most rare mounts. In fact, I got Invincible and Mimiron's head on the same day. (Three others, too [Flametalon, Pureblood, Al'akir mount], I just have the achievement dates to prove the first two). RNG mount drops aren't great. They shouldn't be 100%, but bad luck protection should be a thing.
    I also have many, but Invincible keeps eluding me after an expansion of excessive farming on multiple characters (yeah, I had not much else to do in WOD besides leveling alts and doing mount runs), and I will not start with Mimiron's Head before I get this mount. But I have Ashes of Al'ar, White Hawkstrider and Attumen's mount from TBC, many other WotLK mounts, and I have farmed all mounts which can drop from dungeons and raids in Cata (which finally got me the dragon achievement). It's not that I am not dedicated. I am just tired of the RNG lottery crap.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-05-12 at 09:13 AM.

If you make them a guaranteed drop you will drastically reduce the value of the mounts. Mounts, as all other prestigious items in the game and MMOPGs in general, get their value from their rarity. You would greatly devaluate the mount for those who currently have it (be it because they did it when it was current content or because they were lucky after), and for collectors it just would be mount++ without the emotional relief to finally have it.

So many posts about how RNG needs to go away.

What would the point of having a mount like Invincible or Mim's head be if everyone just had to farm the instance 50 times? Everyone would have it. The majesty would be gone. The whole fucking point of the mounts are their exclusivity.

No. You want the mount show your dedication and run it til it drops. Make some alts just so you can run it more, doesnt take long to get a demon hunter to the broken isles and park it in front of ICC or Ulduar or w/e.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Among Men View Post
    Should mounts in older dungeons and raids (pre-current expac) drop within 50 runs? Sure, RNG would still exist, but should these mounts eventually have some sort of loser buff like LFR? I have damn near every mount in the game, and the shop, so I am more or less curious about those who have horrible luck farming them.
    Nope..

Nope...

Nope....

Nope.....

Sorry, but it is old content and should have even less fiddling with than current content. People should suck it up and work for it, especially things like mounts, toys and pets.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I think some sort of bad luck protection should be there. Number of boss kills is stored in statistics, so its not hard to count it. Increase drop rate by 10 after 100 kills, by 20 after 200 kills, by 30 after 300 kills and so on. That would be enough to fix terrible luck cases without making it too easy.

Keep it per character, so player wouldn't just throw army of alts on boss to get reward in couple of weeks. And on personal loot to prevent abuse.

Also drop rate should never be below 1%. World boss drop rates are stupidly low that make entire thing frustrating rather than fun.

Also mounts should never be removed from game. Every mount should be somehow obtainable. Mounts limited to specific expansion or event should be there after that expansion/event, just harder to obtain.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2017-05-12 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Those mounts are the only "prestige" left in the game, only reason they are allowed to drop after the expansion is done is because people whine too much.

I know "prestige" and "game" doesnt sound well with some people but it is how it is people use those things as prestige, there is no reason to remove it from them.

Blizzard adds them as a "goal" a "reward" for completing the difficulty apart from items, people use it as prestige, Blizzard doesnt care, but it cares how the forums fill up with QQ about them hence chances reduced, never removed.

PvP mounts are another thing, and there is a reason they are unobtainable.

Obviously people will farm it 2 years after and everyone will have it, but its supposed to be prestige when its relevant.

Obviously talking about the Mythic only mounts.

What i am trying to say, its one of those things that "Not everyone is supposed to have", but the QQ is too massive, so they are allowed to have it if they get lucky, if you really wanted it, go get it when its relevant.
    Part of prestige is it being current. Clinging to old prestigeous rewards instead of achieving new heights is pathetic.

You even see this in the world today in literally everything: Cool things are current, old things are cheap shit. Cars, computers, literally everything that isn't a collectible (a status only acquired because things in the real world break so they become rare again over time).

Past expansions "prestige" items should no longer drop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Past expansions "prestige" items should no longer drop.
    Good thing Blizzard isn't listening to people like you.

Removing drops would only punish players who weren't playing at specific time, who weren't lucky when drop was current or who simply didn't win rolls.

For example lets take current prestige mount: mythic Gul'dan's mount. To get mounts for all players guild needs to kill it 20-30 times, so they need to farm it for many months while its current. But what if it stops being current before everyone gets mount? Did players who didn't get mount earn them? Yes, they did. They just weren't lucky enough with rolls. Should they be punished because they weren't lucky? According to your logic they should because you got lucky. How is that fair?

Keeping old rewards gives reason for players to visit old content. There is massive amount of old content that is forgotten as soon as next expansion hits.

People who think "prestige" in video game matters will have something newer to show off. That is if they are as good as they think they are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    I don't care whether I am called a noob but I reckon that if you do the Firelands raid for example, you should have a guaranteed chance of getting the flying mount.. as proof of having done the raid... I have soloed that place 200 odd times on Mythic and never got the mount.
    Kind of devalues it for those who not only killed the HC/Mythic boss back when the content was relevant, but also those who were lucky enough to win the roll. A small drop chance is fair imo, it keeps the mounts rare and still makes it an awesome item to have for those who received it before out-scaling it.

Also if you're worried about proof of clearing the raid, there's generally titles you can achieve for the majority of raids, alongside with achievements that get logged

I voted "other" because I don't want to pick either. I would LOVE it if mount drops were a sure thing in X runs, but I don't think it's necessary. If Blizz proposed it, I'd be on the "Yes" side, because I don't see any downside to it. But to be fair, I don't see any downside to random drop either, since they don't serve any purpose outside of adding another mount to the 300+ counter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Good thing Blizzard isn't listening to people like you.

Removing drops would only punish players who weren't playing at specific time, who weren't lucky when drop was current or who simply didn't win rolls.

For example lets take current prestige mount: mythic Gul'dan's mount. To get mounts for all players guild needs to kill it 20-30 times, so they need to farm it for many months while its current. But what if it stops being current before everyone gets mount? Did players who didn't get mount earn them? Yes, they did. They just weren't lucky enough with rolls. Should they be punished because they weren't lucky? According to your logic they should because you got lucky. How is that fair?

Keeping old rewards gives reason for players to visit old content. There is massive amount of old content that is forgotten as soon as next expansion hits.

People who think "prestige" in video game matters will have something newer to show off. That is if they are as good as they think they are.
    Viewing not receiving an item because you didn't do the content as punishment is called entitlement. You're not entitled to the same loot other people have received in the past just because you didn't play when they did. Sometimes it's nice to have unique rewards that are rare to come across, it gives a sense of a game having a background and history to see items/mounts around that are no longer obtainable. Keeping certain items with a VERY low drop chance still gives players who didn't do the content at the time to receive the item, while keeping it rare for those who were lucky enough to clear the content at the time.

All in all I'm really happy they keep certain things unattainable, like The Immortal achievement, War Bear from original ZA etc.. It adds an nice layer of history to the game and gives players something that makes their characters unique.