Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    I remember having a Kindergarten graduation back in 1979 so it's not a new thing. But I'm pretty sure we didn't wear gowns back then.
    The gowns are probably more someone seeing an opportunity. I remember hearing about it in elementary school and thinking it was silly, but that was mostly due to switching schools in 1st grade from a school that didn't do it to one that did and basically being, "Wait, they got a graduation for kindergarden? Why? I didn't. Sounds silly." or whatever the 7-year-old equivalent of that thought process was.

Things like this exist to torture parents.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Since when does kindergarten graduation involve a gown?
    Pedophile proms.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

You are celebrating your hability as a parent to make your kid survive so far. It has little to nothing to do with the kid's accomplishment and everything to do with the parents. It's a collective tap on the back.

It's significance is more relevant to the parents when it's their firstborn and they have insecurities and all that.

Is it mandatory?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    My kid had 'graduation' from preschool... PRESCHOOL

It pissed me off so much...you get pressured into doing it to, cuz the kid will be there either way, the preschool is just a high end daycare so if you don't buy into the whole thing your kid will literally be alone watching the rest of the class with their parents doing this ceremony. So we had to take time off work and buy this stupid wizard robe.
    It was all worth it just for me to read those words.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would you need formal wear for something so small? Unless you already have something at home I wouldn't buy something for that even if they had graduation for my (hypothetical) children.

Last one of these I went to the kids made their own hats and there were no gowns. In my experience this is all for the parents much like a 1st birthday party. I don't know of any places that still do this though and I am friends with a handful of grade school teachers. I certainly can't imagine buying a gown for such an event.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    My kids never wore a gown.

Collared shirt maybe.

Seriously get over it. They are 5 year olds people let them have some fun.
    Just because most of you have a miserable existence....

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Can someone help me out here? Why do we celebrate the graduation from kindergarten? Not only is it silly, but I also have to pay for an overpriced gown. I can understand graduation from middle school and high school they are some touch years, hell I can even understand graduations from elementary that was even a challenge.

But kindergarten? Someone help me understand the reasoning for this.
    Just to check, kindergarden is 1-4 for you guys as well right? where they play all day, nap and poop?

When I have kids if I send them to one and they turn around and say theres a graduation I'll be walking out of the door and finding a new one.

Primary school 4-11 I'll let them attend, but I'm not paying over the top for graduations, its completely idiotic,

When we were in school we had a good bye form our teachers as well as a cheer, in secondary school we had a end of year meal at the local college that we had to pay 20 quid for a meal cooked by students, mainly marinated chicken drum sticks which were raw in the middle. We got given a little portfolio with our CV in and all the evidence of extra stuff like clubs, except we had it given to us in a plastic polly pocket because they decided it was stupid giving 16 year old kids a leather binder so they scrapped that.

I shit you not, literally raw chicken and a plastic pocket with our accomplishments in

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Can someone help me out here? Why do we celebrate the graduation from kindergarten? Not only is it silly, but I also have to pay for an overpriced gown. I can understand graduation from middle school and high school they are some touch years, hell I can even understand graduations from elementary that was even a challenge.

But kindergarten? Someone help me understand the reasoning for this.
    ... This is a thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I mean, it's all fine to hold an annual party(?) at the kindergarten...... but why is it called graduation?
    See yea right, nothing wrong with a little end of year party, get some snacks and play some games and such, just a fun day. We used to do that when I was in school. Now of course it has to involve a hollow 'ceremony'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    It was all worth it just for me to read those words.
    lol well im glad it had some positive impact in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Is this an American thing?

I was expecting the typical "millennial" nonsense, but I had a ceremony for kindergarten in 1970.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never did that in Germany.
    Kindergarten was basically daycare for kids aged 5-6 with a tiny bis of general education thrown in. I remember the lady would often gather everyone to sing or tell stories. It was basically just a lot of fucking around until the parents came to pick us up.
    Anyone left for school or moved away, we'd make a goodbye card but that was about it. Who came up with the idea of an official graduation ceremony?

Neaver heared of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because society currently has a hard-on for giving out awards for irrelevant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Appropriate:

Basically this.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-05-12 at 03:52 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Never did that in Germany.
    Kindergarten was basically daycare for kids aged 5-6 with a tiny bis of general education thrown in. I remember the lady would often gather everyone to sing or tell stories. It was basically just a lot of fucking around until the parents came to pick us up.
    Anyone left for school or moved away, we'd make a goodbye card but that was about it. Who came up with the idea of an official graduation ceremony?
    I think that was the whole point: you're done with the fucking around part, time to start your real schooling.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Graduation? Over here in Germany my daughter had this little event to get kicked out of Kindergarten. They threw out every single kid with a trampoline.
    And she was not disapointed that I did not bother to watch this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't, dont see why not though...

Why do you want to piss in some kid's cereal?

edit: was i done one who learned how to read and write (well looked like a drunk persons handwriting but i could write dammit) in kindergarten?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-05-12 at 04:46 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    My kid had 'graduation' from preschool... PRESCHOOL

It pissed me off so much...you get pressured into doing it to, cuz the kid will be there either way, the preschool is just a high end daycare so if you don't buy into the whole thing your kid will literally be alone watching the rest of the class with their parents doing this ceremony. So we had to take time off work and buy this stupid wizard robe.
    I had a preschool graduation 40+ years ago. I don't think we had robes.