Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This is an interesting read and I believe millennials will do well to read it and take what it says to heart. The work place is a place to work. Not socialize or screw around. I've highlighted a couple of passages in the article.

Don't take this as negative feedback for millennials. Take it as a learning experience.
    I'm very fortunate to work for a very relaxed company when it comes to this stuff. It's a fairly large international company as well.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tone of this article is way off...which is unfortunate because the content is actually pretty spot on.

In a business environment you have to earn your way to success. You have to prove yourself. You can't come into a place expecting everything handed to you. There are plenty of stories of misguided millennials expecting promotions after a matter of weeks or months.

I also agree it isn't their fault -- the environment they were raised in creates expectations that don't match most modern work places.

However they also have things to contribute -- many millennials have been factors in workplaces shifting to more casual environments with flexible work options -- things that many people really enjoy. Having stuffy rigid sterile work environments just "because" isn't a good thing.

It's a balance -- but some of the less desirable traits of millennials in the workplace are really irritating to the older generations because there is a perception, right or wrong, of entitlement...and that rubs a generation that expected to work hard for recognition the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    The tone of this article is way off...which is unfortunate because the content is actually pretty spot on.

In a business environment you have to earn your way to success. You have to prove yourself. You can't come into a place expecting everything handed to you. There are plenty of stories of misguided millennials expecting promotions after a matter of weeks or months.

I also agree it isn't their fault -- the environment they were raised in creates expectations that don't match most modern work places.

However they also have things to contribute -- many millennials have been factors in workplaces shifting to more casual environments with flexible work options -- things that many people really enjoy. Having stuffy rigid sterile work environments just "because" isn't a good thing.

It's a balance -- but some of the less desirable traits of millennials in the workplace are really irritating to the older generations because there is a perception, right or wrong, of entitlement...and that rubs a generation that expected to work hard for recognition the wrong way.
    It's like working your ass off in school, volunteering, getting an excellent gpa, and applying early to college to get accepted but not to get any scholarships. Only to then have a peer who didn't really do much, got C's and fucked off to get into the same school with a scholarship because of their ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    More like that "advice" is how companies grow old and stale and lose talent. Treat your employees like shit, you get shit
    Advice? Companies are less productive than ever due to new "talent" thinking they're entitled to everything. When they might as well hire chinese or indians who are more skilled, more productive and require a fraction of the salary you demand.

I'm a millennial, graduated, got told to know my place when I asked for a promotion, built the code for the distribution center and then got a lucrative offer outside this company.

When they realized no one could build on top of the code at this salary level, they begged me to stay to which i said no thanks.

Plz try not to talk shit and generalize about this generation. Not all of us sit on our cell phones all day long pretending like work is a frat house. We actually care about the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Advice? Companies are less productive than ever due to new "talent" thinking they're entitled to everything. When they might as well hire chinese or indians who are more skilled, more productive and require a fraction of the salary you demand.
    Except they don't know our culture, are not as good at communicating results, or translating effective change. They may be superb at data analytics, but you need to pay well to keep people, chinese, indian, or american.

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post

The only thing I can really complain about millennials that differentiates them from my generation is that they want a life to go with their jobs and they want upward mobility. They want time to go hiking on the weekends, traveling every month to few months, etc. and it would be unreasonable of me to say that their life shouldn't revolve around their own happiness. They jump ship once a better opportunity rears its head instead of the traditional corporate loyalty that preceded them.
    For the bold: I think it's more "millennials" have realized their company doesn't give a fuck about them, and treats them the same way they treat workers. If companies want loyalty, maybe they shouldn't be such self-serving shits.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not a problem that only millennials exhibit. To be honest, I've seen more of these antics from 40 year old women than from younger folks.

People should learn to stop generalizing. All millennials are not slackers. Neither are all 40 year old women. Judge people on their merit and you might be surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not true in my experience, but I'm pretty sure you're yelling at clouds now

Give it 20 years or so and I imagine many here will be banging on about the shortcomings of Gen Z

Idiots are idiots no matter what arbitrary generation they fall in to

It's amazing the people in this thread who can't handle constructive criticism. The article is supposed to help young people survive in the work place. not come down on them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    It's amazing the people in this thread who can't handle constructive criticism. The article is supposed to help young people survive in the work place. not come down on them.
    The article is supposed to make Daily Mail readers feel better about themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    You knew exactly what you did by linking a piece that comes off arrogant, treats all millennial as the same, and refuses to look at what they themselves do wrong. It's also not your first millennial bash thread.

So millennials are just like every generation that came befor?
    Yeah, sounds about right.

All the millennials at my company completely outshine their elders. Were technologically superior and get work done way faster and we are less afraid to take chances and try new things. I've been promoted already to senior graphic designer and the company would be terrified to lose me.

I'm an older millennial between 30/31 though. :P
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

There is a thing called Juvenoia.

It's been around for, literally, thousands of years.

The article has a point. Not a well worded one, but one nonetheless.

Me and my mom used to work in catering. Now I was 25 at the time (I've no idea if that makes me a millenial or not, but whatever), and we would constantly get new staff in, young people, who are around 18-22 on average and have just left college or whatever for their first job.

Without fail, they would do next to nothing. They spent most of their shifts either talking in the pantry or going out on smoke breaks. And when nothing gets done, guess who gets bitched at? Actually, trick question, because even our supervisor doesn't want to do her job and supervise people either.

So in line with the article: No, you're not getting paid to do nothing; Yes, you're here to work, that's why you were hired; and Yes, know your place.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You knew exactly what you did by linking a piece that comes off arrogant, treats all millennial as the same, and refuses to look at what they themselves do wrong. It's also not your first millennial bash thread.
    Also this, I recommend reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie, if you really care to communicate more productively.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the article is 50/50. I absolutely believe people should give themselves self worth, and fight for what they believe they should be paid/treated at work. However, when I was an intern at my current job, there were about 12 of us "summer interns". 11 out of the 12 didn't take the role seriously at all, they were constant on their phones, taking "snap videos", and generally just fucking off. A lot of them missed deadlines, which in the real world cost the firm real money. I found it absolutely mind boggling that 22-24 year-old's would take a job at my private wealth firm/wire house seriously, a massive firm that treats employees and clients with nothing but dignity and respect. I never missed deadlines, worked my ass off all summer, and was 1 of 4 invited back as paid interns for the rest of the year. I kept up the hard work, when the other 3 didnt, and i was the only one brought on as a junior partner with one of the teams.

Moral of the story is, a lot of people just cant seem to grow up, and the way people are raised these days certainly seems to be the main issue along with how colleges have been coddling people. However, work environments have improved 10x over the last 20 years or so, and its been helped with people demanding better work cultures.

Deleted
    This is an interesting read and I believe millennials will do well to read it and take what it says to heart. The work place is a place to work. Not socialize or screw around. I've highlighted a couple of passages in the article.

Don't take this as negative feedback for millennials. Take it as a learning experience.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...G-seniors.html
    Stop shitting on millenials as if we are a different species.