Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    I grant you IRA are/were terrorists, but they had a legitimate cause still.
    Legitimate my arse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Legitimate my arse.
    The UK didn't invade, occupy, and rule over Ireland?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    The UK didn't invade, occupy, and rule over Ireland?
    In 1536...
    You can't really dust for vomit.

10+ Year Old Account
    People think Teresa May is decisive? Fucking hell she's flip flopped more than anyone I've seen in the PM seat.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    People think Teresa May is decisive? Fucking hell she's flip flopped more than anyone I've seen in the PM seat.
    Oh c'mon, she and her government are strong and stable!

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It's what happens when the head of the opposition is even more of train wreck, that she is deemed the better option.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Anyway. Soon Corbyn will be history, and maybe the Labour party can move on from the dire state it's in at the moment.
    I really really really hope he stays, but if he does go after being crushed at the election that he is replaced by Diane Abbott, not unlikely imho. So much so that I have a score on this at odds of 200/1.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I must have missed the part where you showed that he wasn't general secretary on the editorial board of a publication sympathetic to the IRA, that he didn't attend commemorations for IRA terrorists, and that he didn't refuse to condemn IRA terrorism.

Because you can't, of course. These are all matters of public record. You just don't like it.
    As I explained in great detail on the previous page with reference to the actual quotes in question the publication did not endorse terrorism, indeed it probably helped bring the IRA into the peace process. You are repeating a lie.

Corbyn attended memorials for Republicans. So did the Queen of England, who offered generous condolences to the Republican dead. Or even Teresa May who sent Martin McgGuinnes's wife her condolences the other week.

Corbyn condemned all the violence in the troubles. He refused to single any one faction out for criticism. As virtually any sane politician would including most conservatives. The peace process was an extremely delicate operation, no one wants to start the troubles off again with a needless, already settled argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    It was in 1993 that McGuinness engaged in secret talks with the UK government, not the 80s. The IRA were still happily terrorising away in the 80s.

And to talk about is as if the unionists had no input in restoring the peace in NI is just, well, daft.
    Secret talks with the IRA actually go back to the early 1970's under the conservative Heath administration.

The unionists weren't much help frankly. It was the Dail and the SDLP, and to a lesser extent the yanks and Labour, that got the IRA to behave.

When the IRA disarmed they did make a go of it to be fair, but they weren't much use up to that point, and that was the hard bit.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2017-05-12 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Secret talks with the IRA actually go back to the early 1970's under the conservative Heath administration.
    But they didn't do much good did they? What I should have said was that the "back channel" didn't pay dividends until 1993.

Anyway, this:

The peace process was extremely delicate, no one wants to start the troubles off again with a needless, settled argument.
    I completely agree with.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Deleted
    But they didn't do much good did they? What I should have said was that the "back channel" didn't pay dividends until 1993.
    Fair point. Worth adding that Major was heavily criticized for opening channels.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I really really really hope he stays, but if he does go after being crushed at the election that he is replaced by Diane Abbott, not unlikely imho. So much so that I have a score on this at odds of 200/1.
    If Diane Abbott got elected leader, the party would be legitimately done for.

The biggest problem I've always had with this Labour party is the shadow cabinet that he picked, literally the worse possible choices.

Still the worse thing that ever happened to Labour was when Ed stabbed his brother in the back, If David had gotten Leadership they would of likely won the 2015 election or it would of been extremely close with Cameron.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-12 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

I'm starting to like this guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Have a read on her time as Home Secretary. A reign of indecision and incompetence
    I'm glad someone else noticed.

You notice the media never say anything about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post

I'm starting to like this guy.
    I'm not sure the Mail knows how stupid their readership is. I wonder how many people missed the sarcasm completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

I'm not sure the Mail knows how stupid their readership is. I wonder how many people missed the sarcasm completely.
    I don't know anything about the mail, but I do support legalizing tory hunting for foxes.
    Now thats a splendid idea!

I'm glad someone else noticed.

You notice the media never say anything about it?
    It says more about Corbyn, the fact the general populous consider her the safer choice given her dilly dallying but as I stated previously I think the majority of his issues arose from his pickings for shadow cabinet as every time they appear on a media presence they instantly fuck something up.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-12 at 09:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I don't know anything about the mail, but I do support legalizing tory hunting for foxes.
    Now thats a splendid idea!
    Its the policy any modern country is crying out for. Chasing a fox around dressed in a red tunic, galloping about on a horse while your dogs tear apart a fox cries : Digital age.

Deleted
    In 1536...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_...an_Brotherhood

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Oh c'mon, she and her government are strong and stable!
    She is very good with the tautologies.
    Brexit means Brexit.
    No deal is better then bad a bad deal.

Deleted
    The sad thing about this election and the last one is that policy really doesnt matter.

Its May vs Corbyn much like it was Milliband vs Cameron. If may doesn't even bother having a manifesto she will still win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Have a read on her time as Home Secretary. A reign of indecision and incompetence, yet she is the best our government has to offer to help guide us through the most important negotiation our country has ever seen.
    I know there are some on these boards (well at least one) who believe that we are living in a golden age of British politics, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We have the Labour Party in complete disarray and a Tory party with a leader who has yet to show any real competence, all this with brexit negotiations right round the corner.
    Personally i love the people beliving she will 'end freedom of movement' - I mean sure, legally undoubtedly.
    But she has been in charge of migration policy for 7 years, and the Non EU migration hasn't declined in the least.
    So going by that track record, FoM will end but 2-300 000 people will still move into the UK every year, presumably they will start complaining about the UN or some such after brexit is done.

Deleted
    Personally i love the people beliving she will 'end freedom of movement' - I mean sure, legally undoubtedly.
    But she has been in charge of migration policy for 7 years, and the Non EU migration hasn't declined in the least.
    So going by that track record, FoM will end but 2-300 000 people will still move into the UK every year, presumably they will start complaining about the UN or some such after brexit is done.
    The anti-immigrant brigade just seem to be ok with this.

Like, they know about the Chinese coming here in numbers. I think there has to be a few mail or express articles before they decide it is socially acceptable to hate those people. They seem to need some kind of permission from an authority figure.