Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

I do agree with you that the game now days is a bit TOO accessible. Its too casual / alt friendly, but that's what the current generation of players have come to expect, which is quite disgusting.
    Don't put words in my mouth please.

I didn't say it was too accessible, I like how accessible the game is now. It's way easier to get friends into WoW now than ever before. It's great TBH.

Making a game hard isn't good game design, making the game selectively difficult is good design. You don't NEED to grind a 10 M+ every week, you don't NEED to mythic raid to get good gear, you don't NEED to play the game that much at all to stay relevant.

Legion is good because it keeps players who don't dedicate much time to the game closer in power to those who do. It's the function AK serves. It's why I like the AP system so much.

Vanilla was bad because you had to grind all the damned time to get anything done. The ends often didn't justify the means as validated by the tiny percent of players who cleared Naxx 40. That shit was too hard for the majority of players, which is bad. If players can't see your end content what's the point of it?

I don't agree with you that the game to too accessible, it's great as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    This 100%.

Gearing was more methodical than it is now. Seeing a piece of loot drop that was correct for your class and spec was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayy more exciting than it is now. Players even memorized the names of the items back then because they knew if that Quagmirran's Eye dropped it was exactly what they needed for their ranged caster dps spec that would help them in the raiding scene.

Now, it almost feels as if loot is just generic: "Random Plate Belt Epic #432 Mythic 6" then you as the player looks at the piece of loot and it has Vers / Mastery and you're like "this is shit" and vendors it.

Just the excitement of loot dropping is no longer there.
    Exactly. Spellweaver's Turban anyone?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Addiction.

I really doubt that a lot of players here even played vanilla though (yes its easy to lie in that poll in the other thread). I see plenty of comments that claim to know how vanilla played while it is hardly accurate at all. Its especially noticeable when they only tell about vanilla's end game quality while vanilla wasn't even about the end game at all, the whole 1-60 experience was the game. They didn't start to focus on end game till TBC, where you only needed to level for a week or 2 and focussed more on dungeons and raids.

1-60 was the tutorial, by 60 you had a good grasp of your abilities you knew what you could do, at that point you joined a guild and tried putting that knowledge into advancing your char.

its kinda why levelling doesn't make much sense any more, legion did for me, because i had to relearn my class, so levelling served its purpose, if you don't have major spec overhauls or new abilities during the levelling process you don't really learn anything. even so at this point there is very little the game can really teach you unless were talking spell mechanics.

Same as now, trying to progress, trying to get that gear, trying to keep raiding, etc.

In vanilla TBC it was more trying to get to the end game, trying to find a guild with a raid I could get into on my tiny server etc. Basically power progression then and now. For me socially not a lot changed except who I socialized with, it went from RL friends, to randoms, to guild mates, to raid mates. Now most guild and raid mates and whoever strikes up a convo.

Because of the pure awe. I started a human paladin and sword and boarded it. It was amazing kind of doing the things that you otherwise only read about in fantasy books. The world was huge, so much to explore. The sense of adventure was amazing.
    My Ele Shaman PvP YouTube channel: https://goo.gl/s0u6Hn

This 100%.

Gearing was more methodical than it is now. Seeing a piece of loot drop that was correct for your class and spec was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayy more exciting than it is now. Players even memorized the names of the items back then because they knew if that Quagmirran's Eye dropped it was exactly what they needed for their ranged caster dps spec that would help them in the raiding scene.

Now, it almost feels as if loot is just generic: "Random Plate Belt Epic #432 Mythic 6" then you as the player looks at the piece of loot and it has Vers / Mastery and you're like "this is shit" and vendors it.

Just the excitement of loot dropping is no longer there.
    I'm still this way with gear, I know exactly who drops exactly what I want for my progression path, and the super badass loots I know by name. Just like then it wasn't every piece of loot by name (outside tier), but those certain bits that were the cream of the crop. Draught of Souls anyone? Weapons before the Artifact system etc. Unless you've stopped playing or don't care about power progression this still exists. With more universal gear drops it isn't even a big deal. So many of the vanilla loot tables were flooded with junk gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth please.

I didn't say it was too accessible, I like how accessible the game is now. It's way easier to get friends into WoW now than ever before. It's great TBH.

Making a game hard isn't good game design, making the game selectively difficult is good design. You don't NEED to grind a 10 M+ every week, you don't NEED to mythic raid to get good gear, you don't NEED to play the game that much at all to stay relevant.

Legion is good because it keeps players who don't dedicate much time to the game closer in power to those who do. It's the function AK serves. It's why I like the AP system so much.

Vanilla was bad because you had to grind all the damned time to get anything done. The ends often didn't justify the means as validated by the tiny percent of players who cleared Naxx 40. That shit was too hard for the majority of players, which is bad. If players can't see your end content what's the point of it?

I don't agree with you that the game to too accessible, it's great as is.
    The game being too accessible isn't a good thing, and no it is not "easier" to make friends than it was in vanilla what a complete idiotic lie, did you even play in vanilla? There was no dungeon finder so you had to actually "find" people to party with and then all head to the location or if one was there he could summon you all, regardless someone had to actually go there.

There was no automated combination of people from different servers who you didn't give a damn about once the dungeon was finished because you would never see that person ever again. Dungeons were not candy cheese like they are now, your team had to actually communicate, use CC, advise strategies etc. This brought the team together and made it actually feel like a real "team", so once that dungeon was completed you wanted to add that person to your friends list so you could dungeon with him again and again.
    It was entirely different from global friending because you didn't have to be transferred to another server or any of this phasing bs, your friend was on YOUR server which brought the community together in ways legion could never imagine.

Chain quest, attunements, weapon quest, class quest, there was such a large variety of different things you had to do that required teamwork EVEN at low levels. There was no "rush to 110 herp derp" you had to actually work for your progression but in the end the reward was significant.

Why do you think dark souls and demon souls, bloodbourne, nioh are such critically acclaimed games? Because you have to work for your progression and put in tons of effort. Accessibility doesn't make anything better in anyway it just brings the sense of reward further away which brings repetition, which brings people leaving your game.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of reasons.

1) It was based on Warcraft universe, and that tickled my fancy something fierce.
    2) The huge, open world was something completely new to me. And I loved it.
    3) There were lots of people, everywhere.
    4) The gameplay was very fluid. Always been WoW's strong suits.
    5) Friends played it.
    6) The sound and music department was, and still is, glorious. Always been a huge fan of that, and is an important factor in every game I play.
    7) I had shit-ton of time on my hands, which was pretty much a prerequisite to do the harder dungeons, which was a lot of fun.
    8) Game being so huge and new + me being a kid, preserved the magic of the game for long time.
    9) Can't be arsed to dwell on it any longer, but I'm sure there are other reasons.

Checking for dungeon groups.
    I'd either fail to find a group or would have people leave in the middle and couldn't recover, so I'd just try the next day.

Classic WoW for me was the closest I ever got to quitting WoW, funny enough.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or TBC for that matter.

Why did you continue to log in day after day when you played Vanilla or TBC?

For me:

• Sense of community - I feel like the WoW community back then was more tight knit and while you were playing on your server, you actually felt like it was your home or neighborhood.
    • Server Reputation - If you were a great player, you quickly became known on your server and lots of respect went your way by other players of all guilds. If you were a bad player and or a troll, your reputation was negatively impacted as a result
    • Large Variety - Like it or not Vanilla and TBC had the highest amount of gameplay / content variety, more than any other expansion.
    • Doing dungeons actually mattered - During TBC I had a group of friends that were pretty much on every night with me, we would form a group, and usually we needed 1-2 more people to fill the last spots. We would choose which dungeon(s) we wanted to do, then we would roll together out to the dungeon entrance, zone in and do the dungeon.
    • Dungeons were challenging - Sure Mythic+ is challenging, but I felt that doing a dungeon that was extremely hard even with proper CC.. finally beating the last boss in the dungeon was highly satisfying. TBC heroic dungeons sometimes took 1-2 hours depending on how good the CC was, and the last boss had a 1 guarentee epic, and epic gems. The reward fit the challenge.
    • Loot wasnt everywehre - Loot was more rare, and took more time to come by. Players were more methodical in how they approached loot. Players would line up to get into my pugs of SSC / TK just for the very small chance to get a particular piece of gear.
    • Dungeons remained relevant - All expansion long, dungeons remained relevant, either by doing the heroic version and getting not just an upgraded piece of loot, but heroic dungeons had completely different loot tables than their normal counterparts. Rare trinkets and other items kept players going back to them all expansion long because those particular items stayed relevant and useful all expansion long.
    • Generally Lots of Content - TBC released with 2 raid tiers from day 1. You couldn't get into the second raid tier without accomplishing some lofty goals that were in the first raid tier and dungeons leading up to it. Because of this, players all progressed at their own pace. Previous raid tiers never became irrelevant because of this.

This is just a list off the top of my head as to WHY I kept logging in. It certainly may be different for the rest of you.
    1. i agree, but the gaming community has become so large and people have less free time on average these days meaning that people want stuff done fast, not commnity
    2. this had its pros and its cons- pros like yes you gained good rep, but cons like if a guild wanted to ruin your life, they could...
    3. what? really? this is in no way true, now you have mythic+ multipel raiding types, arenas and bgs (both things that were not in vanilla at first) multiple raid dificulties, pet battles, the new chromie defence coming
    4. doing dungeons mattered just as much as they do now
    5. dungeons were not "very" challenging, they were in you were in horrible gear, also ccing is not "challenge"
    6. loot was everywhere but not in purples, in blues, think of current epics as blue, and legendaries as epics and banm, there ya go, also "not alot of loot" is not allways a good thing.... to get a specific peice of gear off a boss in MC you needed to hope the item that dropped was one of the 2 items, that dropped, out of the possible 20 on that boss, also gear for shamies could drop for alliance groups... yeah... then you needed to compete with up to 39 other people, some of them not even level 60
    7. dungeons did not remain relevent, once the new raid came out that gear was better then the dungeons, or the new dungeon came out it was better then the old one, like no one was in sunwell in full sunwell epics going "you know what i need to do hellfire ramparts to get that one blue peice"
    8. nor do old raid teirs become irelevent now adays, people run them all the time for legendaries, ap, trinkets, and newbies
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

sense of wonder/addiction i suppose... everything was new and there seemed to be no end to the exploration of the game.
    prior to WoW my gaming experience was very limited. some nintendo as a kid and later on final fantasy 7-8 pretty much.

oh almost forgot about diablo 1-2.. smashed many keyboards playing those games
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

It was far easier to progress in Wow then it was in FF11. New world, story and lore for me since i never bothered with the Warcrafts prior to Wow.

Deleted
    Only thing that Vanilla had better then Legion is community for sure,harder difficulty and the feel of exploring the biggest world at the time.I don't see anything special except the fact it was my first multiplayer game I've played and the only reason I like it is because of Nostalgia,I don't belive that legacy servers would do the thing tho.It's better to keep it as a memory.

In Vanilla, for the short time I played, it was probably the sense of exploration until reaching a point where exploration got me killed because I was a newb back then. :P

For TBC it would be social aspects and experiencing stories of various kinds, especially the Nether Drake reputation quests. ^_^

a) Community
    b) Excitement
    c) Love (in the sense that I loved the series)
    d) Exploration

The social aspect for sure it's where I made most of my friends in the game, sadly most have quit and moved on and I lost contact since. I've made ties with other people since then but they weren't nearly as meaningful.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    The game being too accessible isn't a good thing, and no it is not "easier" to make friends than it was in vanilla what a complete idiotic lie.
    What a great factless opinion you have here. I was gonna read what you replied with but I stopped here because clearly I need not read further.

the game felt rewarding.

I would spend days doing something and when I completed it I felt like I accomplished something, now I feel its all a waste of time.