View Poll Results: Should mounts in older dungeons and raids (pre-current expac) drop within 50 runs?

Voters
289. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Eventually you should be rewarded for all your effort.

69 23.88%
  • No - Get it the old fashioned way... loser.

203 70.24%
  • Other - Explained below cause Yes or No is not an option for me.

17 5.88%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I think mounts (and other rare drop cosmetics) should have a bad luck protection system, especially the ones that are 0.1%, but I don't think it should kick in earlier than the average, so I voted Other. Somewhere around 300 kills for 1% drops (based on account-wide kills) would be good, 50 is way too soon (I'd say ~2k for 0.1%). The goal is to prevent cases of extreme bad luck, not to straight out make the mounts easier to get.

Problem is, I don't think this is very easy to implement. What do you do when the player is not alone in the raid? Do you reset their bad luck protection if someone else wins the mount? If you do, it suck big time, if you don't, they can just sell the mount every week. Neither situation is good, so even if they do this, it can only apply to newer mounts that are personal loot (and even then, the mechanics of party trading can be a problem).

On another note, the people who prattle about "exclusivity", "hard work" and "earning stuff" disgust me beyond words. Do something in real life to feel proud about, don't cling to some cosmetic item in a game that you don't want anyone else to get because you want it to make you special. One expansion of exclusivity for hard content rewards is enough.
    It's easy to get abuse protection for that: If an account already has the mount, reset the drop rate to the default and keep it there. So, if you are in a group and lucky again, then you could trade the mount - I did one friend of mine that favor a couple of times - but it would not be happen as often as you could sell runs to others and make a fortune.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I've been farming invincible on between 1 and 3 characters for the last 3 or so years. Would I like the mount? Well, why else would I do it for that long?

But no, the rarity is part of why I want it so bad, so if it dropped for everyone in the first X go's, it wouldn't be as rare.
    I see this mount at least once a day. It's not that rare anymore. And I have been farming it for weeks on multiple alts since the end of MoP (sometimes more excessively than other times). I am quite sure that I have reached about 100 kills on all my characters, and with the droprate of 1% this should be the threshold.

The main difference: I am not a spiteful person and I like to share my joy with others.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're fine the way they are, you just need to create some alts to try the raid/dungeon for more chances. I got Invincible and both those revamped ZG mounts on alt runs (Among others, I'm sure). We've just gotta keep at it.

I'd rather like to see some way to get some of those old pvp mounts added to the BMAH or something because those gronnlings are freaking awesome and I'd kill to add them to my collection.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, I completely disagree. It should remain a low chance RNG.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

There is arguably some merit to better bad luck protection on legendaries.
    A raid or dungeon drop mount though is not influencing progress through current content, and therefore I would say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    No. The probability of the mount dropping should go down a lot over time to compensate for the fact that the content is trivialized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I think some sort of bad luck protection should be there. Number of boss kills is stored in statistics, so its not hard to count it. Increase drop rate by 10 after 100 kills, by 20 after 200 kills, by 30 after 300 kills and so on. That would be enough to fix terrible luck cases without making it too easy.

Keep it per character, so player wouldn't just throw army of alts on boss to get reward in couple of weeks. And on personal loot to prevent abuse.

Also drop rate should never be below 1%. World boss drop rates are stupidly low that make entire thing frustrating rather than fun.

Also mounts should never be removed from game. Every mount should be somehow obtainable. Mounts limited to specific expansion or event should be there after that expansion/event, just harder to obtain.
    ^ This. Still dependent on RNG and luck, but at least you can work up some luck without making it too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Those mounts are the only "prestige" left in the game, only reason they are allowed to drop after the expansion is done is because people whine too much.

I know "prestige" and "game" doesnt sound well with some people but it is how it is people use those things as prestige, there is no reason to remove it from them.

Blizzard adds them as a "goal" a "reward" for completing the difficulty apart from items, people use it as prestige, Blizzard doesnt care, but it cares how the forums fill up with QQ about them hence chances reduced, never removed.

PvP mounts are another thing, and there is a reason they are unobtainable.

Obviously people will farm it 2 years after and everyone will have it, but its supposed to be prestige when its relevant.

Obviously talking about the Mythic only mounts.

What i am trying to say, its one of those things that "Not everyone is supposed to have", but the QQ is too massive, so they are allowed to have it if they get lucky, if you really wanted it, go get it when its relevant.
    WHEN its relevant sure...

I am in favour of a stacking buff that increases by 1% everytime you kill a boss that can drop a mount/pet. After 100 clears of something, you deserve to have the mount/pet based on persistence and the people who had it for "prestige" will be riding the new shiny "look how small my real life peen is" mount.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm torn on this, because mounts are vanity only, with the exception of multi-person mounts having that game play utility, however, all of the multi-person mounts (or variants of the mounts, in the case of the VoA one) can be obtained otherwise with a guaranteed method to acquire (granted, the sandstone requires an alcy with the recipe or the recruit a friend ones).
    So, because there are no actual game play implications attached to any specific ones that cannot be remedied by other means, I want to say no.
    But.
    The other part of me says "who the fuck cares?".
    If someone is flying around in Mimiron's head, how does that affect me? It doesn't.
    If they got that because they slogged through 100+ runs on multiple toons each, whereas the next guy got lucky on run #1, again, who cares?
    If there's someone with 300+ runs on 20+ toons and nothing to show, that's on them... again, aside from the individual in question, who cares?
    Give whatever vanity things to whomever wants them because, at the end of the day, it doesn't hurt one person one way or the other, aside from maybe the butt-hurt guy who poured hundreds of hours into farming all of the 'rare mounts' just to see some random joe get them for minimal effort.
    Doesn't affect me, my game play, or anything about which I would give a damn because no one gains any advantage by possessing them.

So, I went with Other because, ultimately, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    It's easy to get abuse protection for that: If an account already has the mount, reset the drop rate to the default and keep it there. So, if you are in a group and lucky again, then you could trade the mount - I did one friend of mine that favor a couple of times - but it would not be happen as often as you could sell runs to others and make a fortune.
    Good point. If they can manage to implement that, then they should absolutely look into bad luck protection.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Those mounts are the only "prestige" left in the game, only reason they are allowed to drop after the expansion is done is because people whine too much.

I know "prestige" and "game" doesnt sound well with some people but it is how it is people use those things as prestige, there is no reason to remove it from them.

Blizzard adds them as a "goal" a "reward" for completing the difficulty apart from items, people use it as prestige, Blizzard doesnt care, but it cares how the forums fill up with QQ about them hence chances reduced, never removed.

PvP mounts are another thing, and there is a reason they are unobtainable.

Obviously people will farm it 2 years after and everyone will have it, but its supposed to be prestige when its relevant.

Obviously talking about the Mythic only mounts.

What i am trying to say, its one of those things that "Not everyone is supposed to have", but the QQ is too massive, so they are allowed to have it if they get lucky, if you really wanted it, go get it when its relevant.
    Blizzard doesn't use these items to provide "prestige" when there is no such thing. Nobody anywhere gives two fucks if you have 1 mount of 400 in a fucking vidoe game that 99.999% of people don't play.

What Blizzard wants is people to spin their wheels endless chasing this kind of crap instead of just setting a bar of work that when crossed allowed you to get it. The perfect compromise between RNG "excitement" (which is actually 2 seconds lived and is actually just a crude way to misuse people's reward system to produce addiction) would be loot protection limiting tries to a reasonable number and it is debatable whether 100 tries is even that.

This whole "everyone isn't meant to have it" mentality is simple delusion on the part of a small segment of the playerbase and a tool Blizzard uses to pluck way too much time from people who are essentially addicted to scratch off lottery tickets that they pay with their time.

Chasing after mounts that have no challenge to get (ie old raids that fall over dead with any 100 or 110 character) isn't "prestige" or Blizzard meeting some moral work ethic standard - it's filling up Blizzard time stats so they can tell investors about it in a quarterly report.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I am genuinely very curious about this. Is this true? I hardly ever notice people's mounts, I mostly care only about mine and what I have, so I just assumed everybody thinks along the same lines...
    I imagine it depends on your focus in the game; for some people, it might be the mount they ride that impresses you or it could be the weapon they have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post

I am in favour of a stacking buff that increases by 1% everytime you kill a boss that can drop a mount/pet. After 100 clears of something, you deserve to have the mount/pet based on persistence and the people who had it for "prestige" will be riding the new shiny "look how small my real life peen is" mount.
    I'm sure many would agree with you. Probably not enough to sway Blizz into effectively adding it, but this at least shows there are those who support the notion.

As a mount collector, I say; Fuck no.

You want it? Pursue it until you get it. If you give up, then suck it up buttercup, you won't have it.

The mounts shouldnt even drop anymore after the next tier is released imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    If ur sick of farming it, then dig deep and buy em of BMAH for a hefty cost.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Yes you should get them after X amount of kills. 50-100 kills sounds right, That's 50 weeks on one character or a ton of alt clears and is still a decent chuck of time.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 100% fine with this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'm sure mine is an unpopular opinion but I think they should no longer be available once the raids become trivial to do.

I think the system should be in place as is for the prior xpac only, but once it becomes legacy and you can pretty much just breathe and annihilate the instance the mounts should be gone forever. The people who got them are the people who got them and current players can look forward to new awesome mounts.

You aren't putting any "effort" in, your biggest effort is to travel there and run around inside the instance, and imo should be thankful that there is any chance at all for you to still get a mount that used to be obtained from heroic raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    I'm sure mine is an unpopular opinion but I think they should no longer be available once the raids become trivial to do.

I think the system should be in place as is for the prior xpac only, but once it becomes legacy and you can pretty much just breathe and annihilate the instance the mounts should be gone forever. The people who got them are the people who got them and current players can look forward to new awesome mounts.

You aren't putting any "effort" in, your biggest effort is to travel there and run around inside the instance, and imo should be thankful that there is any chance at all for you to still get a mount that used to be obtained from heroic raiding.
    Here's the problem I have with the opinion though. Exactly what reason is removing stuff from a game a good thing? A thing that in no way impacts anything. If someone could give me a feasible answer I could start to see the other side, but I've yet to hear/come up with anything that supports it.

Why? Not everybody in the game needs to have all the mounts. I don't have quite a few of the old raid mounts that I'd like to have, looking at you Elegon mount. I've farmed some mounts that never dropped and I gave up on, because they weren't worth it. However I don't think I magically deserve them either.

Part of the lure of those mounts to me IS that they're low droprate, and less people have them overall. It's one of the two reasons I ride around on the Crimson Pandaren Phoenix. I like the way it looks, and you can't just go grab it now that the content is ultra trivial. I honestly wish they'd do more mounts like the moose, or the phoenixes/yeti for PvE. None of them required you to be insanely skilled or anything. You just had to do the content when it was still a challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I think some mount protection would be nice, nothing too high, maybe 0.1% extra chance each unsuccessful week, as there are plenty of people who repeatedly farm the instance, and have zero luck with it.

I mean, I have been farming Baron Mount from Strat since launch, practically lived in that place during Original, 2manned it during BC, then soloed from Cata onwards, 2-3 runs a day at some points, and no mount.

So yeh, some form of protection would be nice with all honesty. Luck shouldn't be the single and primary factor.
    Saying you did it in Vanilla doesn't matter here because it used to be 1/10000 so basically any time spent back then and getting it would like be winning the lottery haha

Now it's like 1/100 and a joke you can clear in 2 minutes.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.