Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    @TEHPALLYTANK

I believe it's Aquaman (James Wan is directing it), and the next Batman film (Ben Affleck and Matt Reeves are directing it).
    Aquaman (thankfully) only has Zack Snyder in the credits as an executive producer, hopefully he'll keep his kryptonite-infused hands out of the real work for that movie.

Hmm...doesn't look like Ben is directing Batman, but he is still involved in writing the screenplay. I don't really know anything about Matt Reeves, but I'm hopeful that he isn't anywhere near as incompetent as Snyder.

I'm still worried about Wonder Woman, since Snyder is credited as a writer on that.

*Fingers crossed that the DCU doesn't suffer the same fate as the Fantastic Four*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dark and gritty works well for Batman. Not for Superman. Also, Zack Snyder writing / directing. Marvel have the sense to get good film makers on board for their movies.

On top of all this add the focus group oriented,feature-list heavy, design by commitee 'creative' process that has infested gaming and movie making for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    With Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, and the trailers for Wonder Woman and The Justice League, I can't help but feel that DC is trying so hard to be like Marvel instead of sticking to what actually worked really well for them.

The pinnacle of DC's achievement on film is encapsulated with The Dark Knight trilogy. It's not flashy. It's not goofy. It's dark, gritty and realistic.

While they have a ton of superheroes that are no doubt much harder to pull off realistically when they have extreme abilities, it can still be done in a sci-fi type way where - hey this might be within the realm of reason with genetic/robotic enhancements.

Marvel does what they do really well. Over the top flashy and goofy. Super entertaining. Personally one of my favorite of the Marvel catalogue is Civil War which is a little darker. But I think Guardians of the Galaxy captures closely how I view Marvel as a brand.

IMO DC needs to stop trying to be a 2nd place Marvel, and go back to what was so great about their Dark Knight Trilogy and cut out their own space in the superhero genre as something a little more down to earth with deeper story and characters.
    Actually... most of Marvels characters were stolen from DC. Plenty of proof of that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Aquaman (thankfully) only has Zack Snyder in the credits as an executive producer, hopefully he'll keep his kryptonite-infused hands out of the real work for that movie.

Hmm...doesn't look like Ben is directing Batman, but he is still involved in writing the screenplay. I don't really know anything about Matt Reeves, but I'm hopeful that he isn't anywhere near as incompetent as Snyder.

I'm still worried about Wonder Woman, since Snyder is credited as a writer on that.

*Fingers crossed that the DCU doesn't suffer the same fate as the Fantastic Four*
    NOTHING can be that bad

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    the marvel movies are doing well so there trying to copy them, dc has always been rather in-compliment when it comes to live action movies id rather they stick with the animated ones which are really good.

The reality is even simpler, DC and Marvel switched sides when it comes from comics to movies. So it translate like shit to 90% of their IP (best example superman), most of their character are light hearted and they try to make them not like marvel movies, but instead like marvel comics. Once DC stop trying to be gritty like idiots with every character, they might do a good movie

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "trying to be Marvel" other then trying to make money. Their movies are completely different in tone.

I always love it when I see people saying "they need to go darker with it" because in my opinion, this is where DC is losing something in their story telling. Having dark moments and dark characters is fine, but making the movie overly dark makes it tonally very one dimensional. DC tries so hard to take themselves overly serious and they are forgetting, it is a comic property, it's supposed to be fun and have heart, maybe even be inspirational.

I'd even go as far as to say DC isn't trying to copy Marvel movies enough which is strange because right now, DC is killing Marvel in the comics. So weird how Marvel comics are totally screwing up the comic book properties but the movies are blowing up the box office.
    Last edited by Mandar; 2017-05-13 at 02:44 AM.

Dark gritty realism is part of what isn't working for them. Batman lends himself to it, while characters like Superman don't.

Their problem is trying to rush out a cinematic universe, and half-assing copying marvel's more comic tone, while still attempting to go for the darker stuff.

They tried to be different with Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad. None of which worked out very well.

At least they ditched Snyder, that's a positive point. But it's probably Nolan that made The Dark Knight work, and a ''realistic'' superhero fare doesn't really work with heroes other than Batman. You can't be grounded when Superman, Wonder Woman or The Flash are involved. By nature, these characters are far larger than life. Trying to make him ''realistic'' is arguably what bogged down Superman's recent movies.

I'm not sure if going full Marvel is the best solution, but it'll probably work better than failing at doing their own thing. They could have gone for more ''mature'' superhero stories, but it seems that FOX got there first with Deadpool and Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    By nature, these characters are far larger than life. Trying to make him ''realistic'' is arguably what bogged down Superman's recent movies.

I'm not sure if going full Marvel is the best solution, but it'll probably work better than failing at doing their own thing.
    With so many animated heartwarming/light superhero movies, I don't think that style is going to work. Not on the Marvel scale.

They could have gone for more ''mature'' superhero stories, but it seems that FOX got there first with Deadpool and Logan.
    >"mature"
    >Deadpool

I'm not sure...I can trust your opinions anymore. /lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    DC has been putting out Superman and Batman movies long before Marvel started.
    and marvel has been putting out good movies while dc puts out trash.

I think you guys are underrating the comedy in Marvel movies. If it wasn't for the comedy, then the movies would just be boring sequences of supernatural action and personal life. Like Transformers movies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Actually... most of Marvels characters were stolen from DC. Plenty of proof of that

- - - Updated - - -

NOTHING can be that bad
    alot of them sure but not most.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    >"mature"
    >Deadpool

I'm not sure...I can trust your opinions anymore. /lol
    The quotations are there for a reason!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I mean, with Logan being what it is, I fully expect X-23 to make appearances in Marvel movies shredding people into ribbons.
    X-23 is owned by Fox. Ain't gonna happen. Sony was at least smart enough to allow SPiderman to be used within the MCU. Fox has repeatedly fought against any co-operation.

Hence why Marvel basically wiped out Mutants from the Comic book world and replaced them with the Inhumans, so they can start bringing "mutants" into the MCU.

- - - Updated - - -

They could have gone for more ''mature'' superhero stories, but it seems that FOX got there first with Deadpool and Logan.
    Marvel's version of those are their Netflix series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Marvel needed to do that because the public didn't really know Iron Man, Thor or Captain America. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are known however.
    Thor maybe, but Iron Man and Captain America were well known.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    With Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, and the trailers for Wonder Woman and The Justice League, I can't help but feel that DC is trying so hard to be like Marvel instead of sticking to what actually worked really well for them.

The pinnacle of DC's achievement on film is encapsulated with The Dark Knight trilogy. It's not flashy. It's not goofy. It's dark, gritty and realistic.

While they have a ton of superheroes that are no doubt much harder to pull off realistically when they have extreme abilities, it can still be done in a sci-fi type way where - hey this might be within the realm of reason with genetic/robotic enhancements.

Marvel does what they do really well. Over the top flashy and goofy. Super entertaining. Personally one of my favorite of the Marvel catalogue is Civil War which is a little darker. But I think Guardians of the Galaxy captures closely how I view Marvel as a brand.

IMO DC needs to stop trying to be a 2nd place Marvel, and go back to what was so great about their Dark Knight Trilogy and cut out their own space in the superhero genre as something a little more down to earth with deeper story and characters.
    Cus dc fucked up hard by trashing the dark knight series and going to fucking ben affleck as batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Thor maybe, but Iron Man and Captain America were well known.
    To the average movie-goer? No way.

In Hollywood people are lazy. That are always looking for the easy button. DC/WB thought they had that with the Nolan trilogy and they were wrong. Dark and gritty is hard to do right and the penalties for missing that target are more severe than for a more conventional style. Let me reiterate, the same degree of imperfection in a Marvel STYLE movie will be more tolerated than the dark and gritty style DC likes. As always YMMV.

DC is trying NOT to be Marvel. And I think that's what is killing them in the movie business. Realistic, dark, gritty works for Batman and all the villains he goes up against in Gotham. I agree with the one poster above, however, in that Heath Ledger is what made the Nolan movies (really, just one). Batman Begins was meh, Dark Knight was good because of Ledger, and Dark Knight Rises was shit. Replace Ledger with someone else (Leto, let's say), and Dark Knight goes from good/great to either meh or shit. Snyder was a terrible director (he was bad with Watchmen, he was bad with DC), and it's good to hear they got rid of him.

I wish DC would just stick to the animated universe, but get rid of this New 52 crap, and go back more towards their early/mid 2000s (2000-2006 or so) style.

Marvel is killing it with the live action movies, because they know that a more light-hearted tone works. Yes, you can have a bit of a darker overlay to the movie, but trying to be all serious just doesn't seem to be working. I guess the disaster that was Green Lantern has the execs of DC/Warner Bros treating light-hearted and comedic like Superman treats kryptonite, which is a shame, because super serious dark and gritty isn't exactly working for them.

Without Christopher Nolan at the wheel there attempts at dark and gritty has failed so now they are panicking and would like to just copy Marvel cause Marvel atm is in a different league when it comes to making movies people actually wanna see!

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    and marvel has been putting out good movies while dc puts out trash.
    Which is a matter of opinion not fact.