Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Admittedly, I thought they were still propelled with steam.

I don't keep up with the latest Naval technology.
    They are, so you're not wrong. They just produce steam by way of a nuclear reactor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    May not be better, but may be cheaper. Not sure.
    Are you guys turning into China now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    EMALS - ElectroMAgnetic Launch System.
    That sounds suspiciously like "Emails" to me.

The failure rate is probably tied to Clinton. Benghazi is also probably involved somehow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    damn...if Trump supports making us a steampunk society...

I'm conflicted
    Feh. Steampunk is derivative and intellectually barren.

So actually yeah, sounds like something Trump'd push.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Amran20 View Post
    They are, so you're not wrong. They just produce steam by way of a nuclear reactor.
    I know they are. The funny thing is all these people are trying really hard to look smart by just reading something on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Are you guys turning into China now?
    Cheaper as is overall cost during its lifetime, its more expensive up front.

Here is the thing though, the carriers themselves are steampowered....
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2017-05-13 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Isn't handing our troops inferior equipment just to cut costs some sort of liberal style unpatriotic treason? Trump promised to build the military back up!
    Nah, it is more right wing.

Just look at what the Australian liberal party did to our NBN. Made it worse just to 'cut costs' on something that is going to get replaced in a few years anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://thehill.com/policy/defense/33...craft-carriers

He is so out of touch
    A trebuchet would be able to throw a 90kg stone 300m away
    You do realize the "steam catapult" on an Aircraft carrier, is to catapult AND STOP PLANES, Yes?

They're not "firing" rocks with a fuckin steam catapult from an aircraft carrier.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    You do realize the "steam catapult" on an Aircraft carrier, is to catapult AND STOP PLANES, Yes?

They're not "firing" rocks with a fuckin steam catapult from an aircraft carrier.
    The cats do not stop the planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Cheaper as is overall cost during its lifetime, its more expensive up front.
    Which is actually good. That is called upfront spending for long term planning.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If he's worried about costs he should stop going on fucking golfing trips every other weekend and taking all his buddies and advisers with him. What a greedy asshole.

Now, if these were just trips down to your average golf course it wouldn't matter, but with Trump's taste, it costs millions each time. Isn't that ridiculous?

The cats do not stop the planes.
    The arrestors do. They are typically hydraulic if I am not mistaken. It takes more energy to get an aircraft into the air than it does to halt it's kinetic energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The arrestors do. They are typically hydraulic if I am not mistaken.
    Hydraulic yes, steam no.

Hydraulic yes, steam no.
    Fluid viscocity varies on the weight of the aircraft that is landing I would imagine. Surely that can be dynamic along with pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Sorry, USA, but your new president is a retard.
    Is that even English he is speaking in? Just who speaks like THAT?
    And I am not even talking about his military... expertise.
    P.S.
    Yeah, Skroe probably just got an aneurysm.
    It is strange how our MAGA president born in NY has little mastery of the English language. I have coworkers who learned English as a second language and speak more coherent compared to Trump.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fluid viscocity varies on the weight of the aircraft that is landing I would imagine. Surely that can be dynamic along with pressure.
    They are valved such as to provide proportional retarding based on the weight of the aircraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It is strange how our MAGA president born in NY has little mastery of the English language. I have coworkers who learned English as a second language and speak more coherent compared to Trump.
    I just read an article that actually concluded most ESL people (at least in the professional world) speak English "better" than native speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    There's English, and then there's New York (Noo Yawk).

http://www.wikihow.com/Talk-Like-a-S...cal-New-Yorker

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries Donny, the people operating this dangerous new tech actually know what they're doing, unlike some.
    Just looked up some basic info about the new system here.

My guess is he's frustrated because someone gave him papers with some info about it, but the workings couldn't be conveyed on a single page with nothing but pictures, so it was too complicated for him.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2017-05-13 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    No worries Donny, the people operating this dangerous new tech actually know what they're doing, unlike some.
    It's not dangerous...it's just not at all ready for combat or wartime operations whatsoever. If something goes wrong and a carrier is unable to launch planes during some sort of combat situation, it could end up in very fucking dire straits. Considering EMALS has a penchant for not working well even during laboratory conditions, it's simply not reliable enough and could end up getting a couple thousand people killed if the ship were to be attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    There's English, and then there's New York (Noo Yawk).

http://www.wikihow.com/Talk-Like-a-S...cal-New-Yorker
    People outside the US don't understand the diversity of the linguistics of American English. I have tried explaining several times before to no avail. We have 7-8 different generic words just for a soft drink(Coke) depending on what region of the US you are from.
    Unless you speak Cajun, you might not even be able to understand someone from a small town in south Louisiana. Even people from Brooklyn have different accents than people from parts of NYC. Just as people from different parts of Texas have different accents. A yankee wouldn't be able to tell the difference but I sure could.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-05-13 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amran20 View Post
    It's not dangerous...it's just not at all ready for combat or wartime operations whatsoever. If something goes wrong and a carrier is unable to launch planes during some sort of combat situation, it could end up in very fucking dire straits. Considering EMALS has a penchant for not working well even during laboratory conditions, it's simply not reliable enough and could end up getting a couple thousand people killed if the ship were to be attacked.
    The "dangerous" part was sarcasm alluding to the fact that people tend to be scared of things they don't understand.

And the only criticism ever has been uttered by Orange D., because except for much higher electricity consumption, it seems to have nothing but upsides and is actually considered to be more reliable than the old steam piston catapults.