Page 82 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

That right there people, is called paid endorsements. I would bet any amount of money they are getting paid by intel, how disgusting is that.

Its fine to recommend the g4560 and the 7700k, but there is no reason to even LIST the i3's and the i5 spot should be taken by the 1600.

Just absolutely gross, and i will never read a tomshardware article again.

I think i5 is fine, i3 though ...

lol go look at the comments section, people know they are paid shills now. Ive heard people say this throughout the years but never really believed it, well this article is proof of that.

casuals wont read the comments, they will just read the article and buy Intel

hopefully not an i3 ^^

Yup thats the frustrating part, now when i recommend an R5 im gonna have some mouth breather linking me that article.

fml

10+ Year Old Account
    The Pentium and the 7700k are just fine in the spots they have them listed. But I'm kinda scratching my head at the i3 and i5 recommendations.

There should be no recommendations for the i3 price point at this time. Either save money and go with the pentium or save up more money and go with a 1400.

The 7600k should only be recommended for mmo boxes or someone chasing 144 FPS at the exclusion of all else. Generally speaking I would suggest a R5 1600 over a 7600k but there are use cases where a 7600k would be the better choice. (Limited as those cases may be.) I don't have a problem with the 7600k recommendation as long as it came with a caveat.

Recommending the 7500 over a R5 1400 is just straight up face palm worthy.
    Last edited by ovm33; 2017-05-06 at 11:45 AM.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

There's a full on shitstorm about them recommending locked i3s and i5s.. The 7600k/pentium may be understandable and 7700k is really the king of gaming, but everything else is pretty hilarious.

Also funniest shit I've seen is the response of someone from Tom's to this, don't remember exactly where it was, but I saw it on Reddit earlier today. "Many of our readers are rocking five-year old processors, so they expect some sustainability as GPU technology improves.", was probably the best gem of the whole post. Considering they are recommending locked 4 thread CPUs.

Wow I thought toms was a good site, checked it for years, what sies should i use now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Intel at its finest.

TH is a paid advocate of the Intel brand.

Deleted
    Someone from tomshardware replied:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._list/dh74f8f/

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The comments offer no real reasoning for their disagreement, just a lot of nerd rage. I'm not saying I fully agree with their list, but the comments are worthless.
    They explicitly say it is a gaming orientated list and 7500 not withstanding, I think the list is good if you have to mention just one processor in each bracket. Hoping and wishing for millions of cores and threads to be relevant which seems to be the prevailing tack doesn't really help the fact that intels are better gaming CPUs right now in general.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    They explicitly say it is a gaming orientated list and 7500 not withstanding, I think the list is good if you have to mention just one processor in each bracket. Hoping and wishing for millions of cores and threads to be relevant which seems to be the prevailing tack doesn't really help the fact that intels are better gaming CPUs right now in general.
    They also specifically said, that people get CPUs and hold them for 5 or so years, which makes recommending a <8 thread CPU, just plainly wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next year is going to be really interesting, Zen+ vs Coffee Lake core count uplifting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    that list is giant bs, stock ryzen 1600 trades blows with 7500 in games. It can be OCed, got more cores/threads, will be more futer proof and cpu+mobo cost is same as intel cpu+mobo. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be on the list instead of 7500.

Im a fucking hypocrite, lol.

Here is my new Ryzen build I'm putting together for my son who wants to stream, tell me what you think!

Component
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
    Case Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply Antec - High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

PSU is from an older build I had but still works like a dream so its good enough for this build. Storage is a rock solid EVO 850. Otherwise, I can't wait to put this all together and try it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Im a fucking hypocrite, lol.

Here is my new Ryzen build I'm putting together for my son who wants to stream, tell me what you think!

Component
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
    Case Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply Antec - High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

PSU is from an older build I had but still works like a dream so its good enough for this build. Storage is a rock solid EVO 850. Otherwise, I can't wait to put this all together and try it out.
    Look OK.
    Though that ASRock board is pretty damn good hardware wise be aware that ASRock's BIOS is atrocious in both function and speed of updating. @Fascinate cannot get his RAM above 2400MHz still when I've used the cheaper ASUS PRIME B350-Plus in now over a dozen builds in total all capable of running 2933MHz RAM without even so much as breaking a sweat.
    So just mull that over for a bit... also going up to 3200MHz version of that RAM kit is worth it... if you want to keep that ASRock .. well they have to stop BIOS slacking at some point right? Ryzen scales nicely with RAM speed increases and there's (almost) no difference in prices between the 2666MHz and 3200MHz variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Look OK.
    Though that ASRock board is pretty damn good hardware wise be aware that ASRock's BIOS is atrocious in both function and speed of updating. @Fascinate cannot get his RAM above 2400MHz still when I've used the cheaper ASUS PRIME B350-Plus in now over a dozen builds in total all capable of running 2933MHz RAM without even so much as breaking a sweat.
    So just mull that over for a bit... also going up to 3200MHz version of that RAM kit is worth it... if you want to keep that ASRock .. well they have to stop BIOS slacking at some point right? Ryzen scales nicely with RAM speed increases and there's (almost) no difference in prices between the 2666MHz and 3200MHz variants.
    Already have the board which is at BIOs version 1.40 as shipped, the latest version is 2.50 so Im going to have to flash it, no biggie. I read up on the mobo and from what I can tell ram speed with the latest version is at the full 3200. If its true or not remains to be seen but fingers crossed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Already have the board which is at BIOs version 1.40 as shipped, the latest version is 2.50 so Im going to have to flash it, no biggie. I read up on the mobo and from what I can tell ram speed with the latest version is at the full 3200. If its true or not remains to be seen but fingers crossed.
    Remember that you will have to ask Noctua for an AM4 kit after buying the NH-D14.
    This does not come directly included, unless they've updated it already which I doubt.

And mounting kit deliveries tend to take fking ages.

That is funny jimmy, but hey at least you can see the value in ryzen after all the "you can only game on intel" videos that came out on youtube.

And ya my ram is still stuck at 2400 no idea if its my board or ram or a combo of the two, but one thing to consider is that when i had my 4000 speed ram to get it to 2933 stable (wouldnt do 3200) i had to increase my CPU volts as well. What this means at least for my 1700 is that you sacrifice heat and power consumption for a little bit of ram speed, which in all honesty isnt as big of an improvement as most review sites make it out to be. After looking at 7700k thread this is surprisingly common too, you cant just set 3200xmp and be done with it like you would expect, many had to increase cpu volts to get it stable even at stock CPU speeds.

That ties into my suggestion for CPU cooler, a large part of the value of the 1600 lies in the stock cooler. It is actually more than sufficient for a 3.8ghz overclock which i (and many who own ryzen) found to be the sweet spot overclock even for someone with aftermarket cooling. All you need is 1.25v to be stable at that clockspeed, to get to 3.9 you need 1.35 generally, and for 4.0 you need 1.4v and above which both produce a lot more heat than 1.25 does.

As for board (memory compatibility aside) that is the best b350 board hardware wise for the money, good choice.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-14 at 01:07 AM.