Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Rin View Post
    That's actually backwards. The pre-alpha maps didn't have Thal'dranath, but the Blizzcon map did, and Blizzard said that they were adding Thal'dranath as a patch zone during the Blizzcon Q&A. They later changed their minds on it.
    At some point the in-game map actually had an area with Thal'dranath scrawled on it(as in, they literally wrote that on the map). Never go beyond a rough outline of the area, though. So not like they ever did any real work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    TD was not BS, BS was already completed when TD was still on the map. TD most likely became Argus or Argus related.

- - - Updated - - -

People that actually wanted to go to Farahlon, the people that enjoy the lore, those are the people that were upset.
    Prior to the Broken Shore, TD was the name of the area around the Temple of Elune (the other island was scrapped).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Rin View Post
    That's actually backwards. The pre-alpha maps didn't have Thal'dranath, but the Blizzcon map did, and Blizzard said that they were adding Thal'dranath as a patch zone during the Blizzcon Q&A. They later changed their minds on it.
    They showed the Broken Isles (with the original TD) at Gamescom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    Hey there,

we've known for a while that Thal'Dranath, an island west of Stormheim, got scrapped during development. Since it was as big as a normal zone, it's safe to assume that it was going to be the center of a big content patch.

The reasoning for the removal was "We replaced it with something that's not another isles with elven ruins"

That was almost a year ago. With Patch 7.2 being released and 7.3 to be confirmed as Argus, I can't wrap my head around this "replacing" argument. Both Argus and the Broken Shore seemed to be safe bets for content from the get go, so I don't think they meant either of those options when talking about the replacement. But there was always that one content patch, that slightly shifted away from the main baddie of the expansion. ( Very slightly! )
    Ulduar, Firelands, Throne of Thunder, that sort of thing. Thal'dranath would have fit perfectly in there, I think. But since Argus seems to be very final for Legion, I doubt we're going to see this "replacement" at all.

Am I missing something here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothrinz View Post
    Broken Shore
    Nope, Argus. Broken Shore was always meant to be in because of Tomb of Sargeras and our initial defeat there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Things get cut. It happens. It's only a big deal because people make it one.
    Things getting cut is not ok. It means they are lazy and are breaking their promise. Thal'dranath didn't really get cut, it gets replaced. Replacing things is ok, because people still get the same amount of content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    At some point the in-game map actually had an area with Thal'dranath scrawled on it(as in, they literally wrote that on the map). Never go beyond a rough outline of the area, though. So not like they ever did any real work on it.
    Yeah, it was in the alpha for a while before they decided to replace it. But it was announced as patch content so they likely hadn't planned to work on it until after the rest of the Broken Isles were done anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    They showed the Broken Isles (with the original TD) at Gamescom.
    Yeah, sorry, it was probably Gamescom instead of Blizzcon. Forgot they announced it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Things getting cut is not ok. It means they are lazy and are breaking their promise. Thal'dranath didn't really get cut, it gets replaced. Replacing things is ok, because people still get the same amount of content.
    So every stupid idea should be implemented unless you can think of something to replace it? And you don't see the problem with that?

Deleted
    So every stupid idea should be implemented unless you can think of something to replace it? And you don't see the problem with that?
    Farahlon wasn't a stupid idea. Your argument is invalid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard scrap ideas all the time, Thal'dranath just happened to be a concept we were let in on. Let's fucking complain about every single thing Blizzard ever scrapped amirite? Like the Dragon Isles, ffs Blizzard stop scrapping shitty ideas!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    What is it with Blizzard and always showing some god forsaken island on a map for the new expansion. Then cutting it out which in turn creates a shit storm.
    they are islandcists obviously.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people who make complaints like this don't see much past the idea of content cuts. They obsess over the act of content being cut, but don't care about learning why something was cut or just simply decide not to believe it.
    Last edited by Seramore; 2017-05-13 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Thal'Dranath was the original name for Broken Shore, then they decided to redo it a bit, less elven ruin and more fel blighted mess.
    no, thal'dranath was supposed to be an island south of the broken shore, with elven ruins.

they scrapped the idea because they didnt want another island with elven ruins and are replacing it with argus.
    later, in the audio dramas they reused the name 'thal'dranath' for the broken shore.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Blizzard scrap ideas all the time, Thal'dranath just happened to be a concept we were let in on. Let's fucking complain about every single thing Blizzard ever scrapped amirite? Like the Dragon Isles, ffs Blizzard stop scrapping shitty ideas!
    I wouldn't mind the Dragon Isles making a return but something different, honestly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    no, thal'dranath was supposed to be an island south of the broken shore, with elven ruins.

they scrapped the idea because they didnt want another island with elven ruins and are replacing it with argus.
    later, in the audio dramas they reused the name 'thal'dranath' for the broken shore.
    Personally, since it fills out the original concept art of the Broken Isles (within the RTS), I would like to have the island back.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    No it was not the broken shore, you guys are wrong. Argus replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Argus. They already stated this.
    No, they did not. They said Argus is going to be a thing after ToS. They never said that Argus is going to be the replacement for Thal'Dranath.

As for the Broken Shore - That can't be replacement. Even before 7.2 Blizz was getting a lot of flag that all the demon zones look the same. Scrapping "just another elven ruin" in favor for even more green stuff is something not even Blizz would pull off.

So it's most likely Argus - which is really odd, considering the huge difference between those places. Argus is the legion homeworld, a very lore heavy place, whereas Thal'dranath had basically no lore so far.
    This just makes the jump so unbelievable. I somehow doubt that the big Argus Invasion is nothing more than an afterthought.

It's Argus. Broken Shore was something Blizzard had on the plate from early development on Legion. Thal'dranath was obviously conceptualized at some point but when they realized they could use the Legion lore to bring us to Argus, the developers decided this would be a much cooler direction to go. Personally, I agree.

I just wish players would be more open to the idea that developers change their minds during the development process. Just because you saw Thal'dranath on a fucking .jpg screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet from 2014 doesn't mean it wholesale HAS to be in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's most likely Argus - which is really odd, considering the huge difference between those places. Argus is the legion homeworld, a very lore heavy place, whereas Thal'dranath had basically no lore so far.
    This just makes the jump so unbelievable. I somehow doubt that the big Argus Invasion is nothing more than an afterthought.
    Probably less of an afterthought and more that they simply didn't plan for us to go to Argus, either in this expansion or ever, but decided to send us there anyway sometime during Legion development, since it would be a more epic finale than the Tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    It was Argus. I don't remember where, but someone said "the team came up with something much cooler," and resulted in a story change from simply closing the portal in the tomb to going to Argus. The change WAS sometime in beta
    The statement you made was the exact statement blizzard gave aka: much cooler, it was indeed during the blizzard beta for Legion so its very probable Argus was their alternative.

That being said they have assets for Kul'tiras in the beta files sooooo.....

Thats just something out there as another potential.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I just wish players would be more open to the idea that developers change their minds during the development process. Just because you saw Thal'dranath on a fucking .jpg screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet from 2014 doesn't mean it wholesale HAS to be in the game.
    Nice try, but that's not the point. I don't give a damn if things get cut. I just wanted to get down to what replaced Thal'dranath.

Nice try, but that's not the point. I don't give a damn if things get cut. I just wanted to get down to what replaced Thal'dranath.
    Why the fuck does it matter so much to you? None of us are Blizzard developers so nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer. The best guess anybody has is exactly what I said: Shit happens.

Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Why the fuck does it matter so much to you? None of us are Blizzard developers so nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer. The best guess anybody has is exactly what I said: Shit happens.

Deal with it.
    This is a forum, for christ sake. If you want a place where people do not speculate/ask/discuss stuff, this might not be the place for you.
    Just because there is no definitive answer, doesn't mean a topic isn't worth discussing.

If you don't care about it, good for you. Apperantly enough people in here do.