Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cocacolawheresthesoda View Post
    I am just shocked and I mean shocked by the responses of some people.

Look, in this world, people never change their opinions, that requires a very high intellect and self-conciousness, but understand, you are completely wrong, to cite neuroscience on how trick questions are actually and how they're meant to work and what their purpose is...that'll make me seem like a douchebag. It's a god-damn game, after all, it's baffling to me that guilds do this.

My goal here is not to get likes, that's a given most people won't agree with this, since they think it's a cool thing, but to actually make atleast some people aware of how this defeats their chances to get recruits, good ones sometimes.

Please, regardless of what you think, if your guild is doing this, understand that it's the absolute worst possible way to test a person's capability to read rules. Again, put a message in the rules, ask them to talk about it when they make the app.

Wow.
    You have a fascinating approach to getting people to listen to your "advice."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    This guy has serious mental issues, no question about it.

A ton of businesses have yet to learn this lesson. Making the application process a pain gets you less applicants, sure, but that doesn't mean they are going to be any better, just more desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Perhaps bad wording, my post was more of a rant, but I did offer a solution and explained the situation briefly.

There's nothing I can realistically do, honestly, to change someone's views, but just hope that they'll see this and think again.

Ofcourse I went to obliterate the officers' asses. Imagine how they are on Discord, jerking each other off to the thought of how sweet that system is.

So, speaking as someone who has guild lead or been an officer in a high end raiding guild since Vanilla: What you're describing doesn't happen and people with your perception is often exactly the kind of person we're looking to keep out -.- Circle jerking each other? What exactly do you think it is the officers in high end guilds do?

From experience, we've used different application techniques over the years and none of them were haphazard or just thrown together so we could pat each other on the back. Generally, something like what you experienced is to weed out the people who have less attention to detail. You likely can't even fathom how many people apply to these types of guilds and so weeding out people is the name of the game. We've done things similarly to get rid of the people that couldn't follow instructions, pay great detail to what they were doing, maintain focus, etc.

I guarantee you it's no skin off their back by losing you. They have lines of people wanting to join. They're picking, and DEMAND attention to detail from every one of their raiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

This is what you get for trying to join a "guild" that thinks it's some kind of business or ultra kewl (the idiotic misspelling of "cool" is fully intentional), rather than a small group of friends looking to have fun in a video game. You're better off without. Every last one -- every last one -- is full of nothing but douchey assholes and elitist twats who only want to use you and everyone else in the guild for their own entertainment.

Fuck each and every one of them.

That is just idiotic.

Deleted
    The retard check is not there to filter out retards, it's to filter out people who easily rage and want "Justice" over ignored applications and who don't pay attention to detail. You.

In my experience many of the guilds take the apps way too seriously. If you are a heroic guild or below apps are just a way to pretend like you are selective with your roster. Even for most mythic guilds people do it just because they seem to think it is something they should. Most don't even look at them or check anything on them. Logs are the only thing I have known any to verify and that is rare, unless you are pushing actual progression top 100 world level.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    So, speaking as someone who has guild lead or been an officer in a high end raiding guild since Vanilla: What you're describing doesn't happen and people with your perception is often exactly the kind of person we're looking to keep out -.- Circle jerking each other? What exactly do you think it is the officers in high end guilds do?

From experience, we've used different application techniques over the years and none of them were haphazard or just thrown together so we could pat each other on the back. Generally, something like what you experienced is to weed out the people who have less attention to detail. You likely can't even fathom how many people apply to these types of guilds and so weeding out people is the name of the game. We've done things similarly to get rid of the people that couldn't follow instructions, pay great detail to what they were doing, maintain focus, etc.

I guarantee you it's no skin off their back by losing you. They have lines of people wanting to join. They're picking, and DEMAND attention to detail from every one of their raiders.
    As per one of the officer's line, they're interested to see if people read rules.

They're not even close to high-end, not even remotely close.

As for its purpose being attention to detail, I couldn't say exactly how this helps you decide that.

I didn't say they're sad they "lost" me, which they didn't. It's their right to deny me as it is my right to speak, on an anonymous note, out of respect for their players.

I am 10/10M on my other main and 9/10M on my other one. It would've been a somewhat down-grade for me to apply, when I could've just showed my 10/10 char and get into any guild, but I liked their players, numbers and such, so then, by no means it affected me with a "how can they deny me? I'm so good", lots of fish in the sea, but it just seemd super dumb.
    Last edited by cocacolawheresthesoda; 2017-05-14 at 02:31 AM.

Deleted
    Whoever did this didn't quite think this through. Almost feels like a prank.

it's 2017, why are you still bothering with guilds that ask you for a fucking job resume to raid?
    if I was looking for a guild, the first point of exclusion would be the need to make an account on a random website and pour out my reali life for them to evaluate me. fuck that. there are enough rules on my workplace, don't need those in a videogame too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post

You're being ridiculous. He's not good enough for the guild because he missed one subtle line right above a captcha? Yeah, keep him out of the guild. No big loss for them. Not like that line could've been missed by accident by someone who had actually read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    it's 2017, why are you still bothering with guilds that ask you for a fucking job resume to raid?
    I simply thought I'd try. As stated, had I seen what they were trying to do there, I would've told them on voice to go insert a banana in their buttholes and blocked them instantly.

I told 2 guilds that had just simply insanely long (rank 500-600) applications that their apps are stupid.

Internet speed? Really?

Please note that Mythic raiding requires explicit and precise coordination and following of instructions. That's the reason I don't mythic raid, I play a game - not work a WoW job.

1. The instructions were there, you didn't follow them.
    2. The employer can set what ever test they want.
    3. I was on an interview panel for a programmer once, and I set a test where the 'assumption' most made was A, and we selected the programmer who didn't make that assumption and solved the problem better because of it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Whoever did this didn't quite think this through. Almost feels like a prank.
    If you mean me, not sure what to say.

I reached a point in life where I just want to help others and even though my post was ranty, it was to draw attention to the mess that applying to guilds is and how these seemingly "smart techniques" that any reasonable person with experience for real recruitment (Damn...this thing is way too serious for a game) will laugh if you say this is a reliable thing to spot lack of attention to details.

If you meant them, they genuinely believe in this being a strong indicator of it.

I was precisely told that this "check" was a major point I missed in my application. Perhaps there were others, given my damage isn't as great on some bosses, but they made it known, this was a point.

I guess you should have read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Some people don't want to raid with bads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I've been in guilds who did shit like this.

Simply put, it's a retard check. Usually if an application was decent and they failed the retard check, we'd give them a try anyway. But if they failed the retard check and they're a shitty-to-mediocre app, we would simply never respond to them and when they eventually wondered why, we'd refer them to the retard check they failed.

I'm not saying that's what happened in your case, but it gave us an easy "out" when we got an app that was merely "okay."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Have you read your own post? What you're saying is, if it's a decent application and they failed the test, you give them a chance anyway, but if it's a bad application and they failed the test, you give them a pass. Do you not see what is wrong with this? Basicly, what decides is whether the application was decent or not. If they fail the test at the end, or not, has absolutely no relevance, because you would take them anyway if they failed. Way to show why this is completely redundant.

Also, this is in no way a "retard check". There's a logical end to a text and if I saw a text, that had that line attached at the end, I could easily see someone overlooking that one line. That is not proof as to whether they have read the text or not, neither does it mean the person is a retard. Jesus, elitist guilds are so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Please note that Mythic raiding requires explicit and precise coordination and following of instructions. That's the reason I don't mythic raid, I play a game - not work a WoW job.

1. The instructions were there, you didn't follow them.
    2. The employer can set what ever test they want.
    3. I was on an interview panel for a programmer once, and I set a test where the 'assumption' most made was A, and we selected the programmer who didn't make that assumption and solved the problem better because of it.
    Funny enough, I recruit programmers too.

Our stack is of 8 people, out of which, 4 are Software Engineers. Two of them are ex-Google and 3 of them attended Ivy, with the last one being very young and a drop-out, still, the most talented one.

In a third world country. Our AR as a 8 man team is "enough to get by".

We never ask these trick questions nor are we trying to be smart.

Nor is any serious company, be it of 1000's employees or 10, or any level.

It's their right to try to be smart, just as it is my right that if I find something just ridiculous, to speak about it and in the run, lose my trust from other employers.

I gave them the treatment of anonimity, and would never bring it up on my next guilds, if they ask me about incidents, so, I try to engage in discussion without public shaming.
    Last edited by cocacolawheresthesoda; 2017-05-14 at 02:44 AM.

Deleted
    If you mean me, not sure what to say.

I reached a point in life where I just want to help others and even though my post was ranty, it was to draw attention to the mess that applying to guilds is and how these seemingly "smart techniques" that any reasonable person with experience for real recruitment (Damn...this thing is way too serious for a game) will laugh if you say this is a reliable thing to spot lack of attention to details.

If you meant them, they genuinely believe in this being a strong indicator of it.

I was precisely told that this "check" was a major point I missed in my application. Perhaps there were others, given my damage isn't as great on some bosses, but they made it known, this was a point.
    No, I meant the guild who did this in their application process. And I don't get the hostility in this thread. Anybody could've overlooked that line. This probably originated from a bunch of people, who thought this was clever and an efficient filtering mechanic. It's really just dumb and unprofessional. This could've only come from the internet. Imagine real job interviewers doing this kind of thing.