View Poll Results: Tinkers as the next class?

Voters
937. This poll is closed
  • Yes - If done correctly

330 35.22%
  • No - Tinkers make no sense

340 36.29%
  • Maybe - If done correctly

122 13.02%
  • Other - Stated below

15 1.60%
  • Don't give a fuck either way

130 13.87%
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    Hey, sorry, just want to track back on this point, and say that Draenei could be a reasonable option for a tinker class.

Hataruu is definitely a technology expert. You do a quest with him where he has you power up and utilize a powerful defensive weapon to drive off Iron Horde raiders. He even says the following:

IMO, Artificer could be Draenei for Tinker, the same way Vindicator is Draenei for Paladin.
    Except we don't see even the tiniest bit of what could be called 'technology' anywhere, even in Shattrath. Everything, and I do mean everything, is crystals, gems and jewels. The console you mention? Crystal. The 'machine' he is working on? Crystal. Draenei aerial defense systems? Crystals. Their siege weapons? Crystals.

Dwarves and Orcs would be the best second races, as they work closely with their factions' main tech race.
    Why do people insist on Orcs as tinkers? They are, as far as I can tell, one of the most non-technological races in the game, second only to the Tauren. They don't work 'closely' with goblins, at all. Goblins do all their tech stuff. Orcs don't build anything other than the most basic of stuff, like catapults and boats. Humans work much more closely with gnomes than Orcs, yet they're rarely ever mentioned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    If they could figure out how to do it, great. Maybe something like Tactician from Rift. My issue is Engineering profession covers a lot.
    Engineering doesn't give engineers a mech suit with weapons, healing injectors, land mines and flight capability (above lvl 60). Essentially turning Mekka's suit into a Sky Golem with weaponized capability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except we don't see even the tiniest bit of what could be called 'technology' anywhere, even in Shattrath. Everything, and I do mean everything, is crystals, gems and jewels. The console you mention? Crystal. The 'machine' he is working on? Crystal. Draenei aerial defense systems? Crystals. Their siege weapons? Crystals.

The Auchindoun Defense Construct says Hello. You can find them in a few zones... and dungeons/raids. A robot built buy the Draenei for "home" defense. In fact, we encounter one that has been corrupted and tries to kill us

Kaathar the Vigilant

Saying the Draenei only use crystals is like saying Alliance is primarily children. It is a fallacy.

So? This is a world where sentient machines can be built with steam boilers and cogwheels. Who's to say the Draenei didn't master quartz-based quantum computers back on Argus?

(Blizzard is, in case anyone was confused)

Besides, as Exarch Hataruu said, "art, science, magic and technology were all as one". Those pretty crystals and gems are the refined, elegant machines of Draenei development.

Why do people insist on Orcs as tinkers? They are, as far as I can tell, one of the most non-technological races in the game, second only to the Tauren. They don't work 'closely' with goblins, at all. Goblins do all their tech stuff. Orcs don't build anything other than the most basic of stuff, like catapults and boats. Humans work much more closely with gnomes than Orcs, yet they're rarely ever mentioned.
    Well, my big takeaway from the entirety of the Warlords of Draenor expansion was that orcs are perfectly capable of a rapid Industrial Revolution, with the proper inspiration.

Otherwise, what the hell was going on in Blackrock Foundry?

(Humans are a big duh, what with their flying battleships and such, if a tinker class is going to be open to lots of races. If race-restricted, I'd expect Blizzard to a more interesting direction than humans and belves.)

Quote Originally Posted by God Among Men View Post
    Kaathar the Vigilant

Saying the Draenei only use crystals is like saying Alliance is primarily children. It is a fallacy.
    Nice! Totally forgot about those bots. Good sample of Draenei tech potential.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice! Totally forgot about those bots. Good sample of Draenei tech potential.
    In fact, those could BE the Draenei Tinker suits Artwork already in place.

I swear to fuck if we get another melee dps class im killing myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see them adding items to Engineering or another class/profession to make you look like a Tinkerer, but I doubt they will add them as a class.

That and Blizz can barely keep up with classes now, what makes you think another one will help?

7+ Year Old Account
    In fact, those could BE the Draenei Tinker suits Artwork already in place.
    those arnt mechanical though
    they are golums, they have no mechanics in them, they are peices of metal given movement through a soul, they are not mechanical
    they are literally walking armor, not a mech

difference between

and
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinkers will be gnome and goblin exclusive. Works for demon hunters and I actually like that aspect. New classes which are race restricted.

Engineering doesn't give engineers a mech suit with weapons, healing injectors, land mines and flight capability (above lvl 60). Essentially turning Mekka's suit into a Sky Golem with weaponized capability.
    Reaves Piloted Combat mode says Hello:

The Auchindoun Defense Construct says Hello.
    All the gems encrusted on it also say 'hello'. Also, it's not a robot. It's just a magical suit of armor made animate by the soul of a dead draenei. From Kaathar's own Dungeon Journal entry:
    "The greatest warriors of the draenei may be called upon for one final service as they stand on the precipice of the afterlife: inhabiting one of the armored constructs that serve as the eternal protectors of Auchindoun and the draenei civilization on Draenor."

They only use magic crystals to do everything. From golems to everything else.

The Auchindoun Defense Construct says Hello. You can find them in a few zones... and dungeons/raids. A robot built buy the Draenei for "home" defense. In fact, we encounter one that has been corrupted and tries to kill us

Kaathar the Vigilant

While I agree that Draenei could also be considered "Tinkers" due to technomancy being in their culture (Artificers), those are not actually just robots. Those hold souls of fallen heroes, which Soulpriests can utilize/manipulate.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2017-05-14 at 03:27 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope not, game has too many classes already, blizzard had enough trouble balancing when there were only 9, now we have 12, and the balance is horrid, a 13th won't help that any.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

So? This is a world where sentient machines can be built with steam boilers and cogwheels. Who's to say the Draenei didn't master quartz-based quantum computers back on Argus?
    Because: a) we're not in Argus; and b) they left basically everything back in Argus. If they could do what you're saying they could, they'd be doing that in Draenor already.

Besides, as Exarch Hataruu said, "art, science, magic and technology were all as one". Those pretty crystals and gems are the refined, elegant machines of Draenei development.
    In an universe where magic is more prevalent with magic, 'science' may not be the same thing as it is in our world. Plus 'technology' does not solely mean 'steam engines and electric currents', y'know? Their 'technology' can very well be their jewelcrafting skills.

Well, my big takeaway from the entirety of the Warlords of Draenor expansion was that orcs are perfectly capable of a rapid Industrial Revolution, with the proper inspiration.

Otherwise, what the hell was going on in Blackrock Foundry?
    Except they're not doing anything. Everything was made into paper by Blackfuse and his company, and goblins developed and created the more complex machines. The only time we saw Orcs "working" on technology were on assembly lines, in Blackrock Foundry, they were creating swords. Swords.

Deleted
    I'm not a fan of Technology classes in games like WoW, I think it's too noisy and anticlimatic. I've never used a tech mount, like Mimiron's Head or the Engineering one, and I get annoyed when someone in such a mount is afk near me.

That being said, Tinkers could have some interesting abilities and I'd definetely try a Draenei Tinker, using crystals and radiation.

But I don't think they'd ever add Tinkers (either for multiple races apart from Goblin/Gnome or for any race at all) because they seem to need too much work.
    If I rolled my Draenei Tinker I'd hate to be in a Goblin suit or construct Goblin pylons, both Goblin and Gnome tech is too ugly and noisy for me. So the class would require specific art for each race, similar to Druids.
    Being in my suit for a long time would prevent me from seeing my gear, again similar to Druids.

I mean, although Tinkers are a class that doesn't appeal to me unless it has a more fantasy alternative like Draenei Tinkers, I obviously don't mind their addition to the game. But I think Blizzard would face the same difficulties they face with Druids and that's not something they like. I'm pretty sure Pandaren can't be druids mostly because they would have to design forms for them as well.
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2017-05-14 at 03:44 AM.

People are going overboard with this concept. At a minimum, it would be the following:

Specializations
    Armor (Tank)
    Armor (Melee DPS)
    Bombardier (Ranged DPS): http://wow.gamepedia.com/Sapper and http://wow.gamepedia.com/Mortar_team
    Alchemist (Healer): http://wow.gamepedia.com/Alchemist_(Warcraft_III)

Race (Tier One)
    Goblin
    Gnome

Race (Tier Two)
    Blood Elf
    Draenei
    Dwarf
    Human

In all honesty, outside of the listed races, I can't see the class for any other group, and to be fair, the theme should be limited to goblins and gnomes only.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    I don't see how Tinkers could possibly work without stomping all over the Engineering profession.
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    People are going overboard with this concept. At a minimum, it would be the following:
    ... You complain about people "going overboard" with the concept... then you state that the class should at minimum have four specs. Really?

Because: a) we're not in Argus; and b) they left basically everything back in Argus. If they could do what you're saying they could, they'd be doing that in Draenor already.

In an universe where magic is more prevalent with magic, 'science' may not be the same thing as it is in our world. Plus 'technology' does not solely mean 'steam engines and electric currents', y'know? Their 'technology' can very well be their jewelcrafting skills.

Except they're not doing anything. Everything was made into paper by Blackfuse and his company, and goblins developed and created the more complex machines. The only time we saw Orcs "working" on technology were on assembly lines, in Blackrock Foundry, they were creating swords. Swords.
    Don't sell either race short, and don't fall into the trap of trying divine what Blizz might try to do with story elements in the future. Remember the old Demon Hunter debates? There were folks who said everything demon related fell to Warlocks, thus there was no room for a DH class.

Some of us said the concepts were much bigger, and getting hung up on minor details and narrow definitions was unwise. Best to keep an open mind to broad possibilities.

As for the Draenei, they travel in spaceships. I'm going to give them credit as a high-tech race.

Light's Heart
    Divinius says: We came as soon as we were able! Thank the Light that you are safe, prophet!
    Prophet Velen says: I am neither prophet nor pawn. Not any longer.
    Prophet Velen says: Did Romuul survive?
    Divinius says: Grand Artificer Romuul yet lives, sir!
    Prophet Velen says: Good. Find Romuul. Tell him to begin repairs on the vessel. We are going home.

Don't sell either race short, and don't fall into the trap of trying divine what Blizz might try to do with story elements in the future.
    I'm not. I'm just working with what Blizzard gave us so far, not making stuff up.

Remember the old Demon Hunter debates? There were folks who said everything demon related fell to Warlocks, thus there was no room for a DH class.
    One or two skills does not a class make. Missing one or two abilities does not make a concept invalid.

As for the Draenei, they travel in spaceships. I'm going to give them credit as a high-tech race.
    Go to Exodar. Or Botanica. Or Mechanaar. Or Arcatraz. Or The Eye. See anything that is technology and not magic there? No, you don't. By the way, all those five places are spaceships. And need I mention, those are Naaru vessels, not draenei. The draenei did not create those.

I feel like Tinker are most likely the next class added. Probably not in the X-pack after Legion though.

I'm not. I'm just working with what Blizzard gave us so far, not making stuff up.
    From in game dialog, it seems that a large part of the Iron Horde naval power was orc designed:

Quote Originally Posted by Solog Roark
    "Blackhand ordered construction of a gigantic cannon. Then I built a monstrous warship to carry it. Bigger isn't always better - our strategy fell apart in the waters around Shattrath."
    "I can build you a shipyard. And not some wasteful piece of over-engineering like this place."
    "I'll keep watch. Get my blueprints."

One or two skills does not a class make. Missing one or two abilities does not make a concept invalid.
    Some of us said the concepts were much bigger, and getting hung up on minor details and narrow definitions was unwise. Best to keep an open mind to broad possibilities.

Go to Exodar. Or Botanica. Or Mechanaar. Or Arcatraz. Or The Eye. See anything that is technology and not magic there? No, you don't. By the way, all those five places are spaceships. And need I mention, those are Naaru vessels, not draenei. The draenei did not create those.
    Yep the Exodar is a Naaru vessel. The Naaru who ran it is dead. Per Velen, the Draenei are going to run it themselves now. Suggests an aptitude to the technology of the Exodar.

And to my eyes, it looks like lots of magic and technology in all those places.

Look, it's a ridiculous world with interdimensional travel, dragons, zombies, dozen+ intelligent species, and helicarriers that float mostly on wishes.

To say that Draenei don't have any technology is, well, as silly as the rest of this little world.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur C. Clarke
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way I can ever roll a gnome and/or Goblin

You can imagine them using the Steam resource instead of mana/rage/energy. There have been many times blizzard have used that like the vehicles in Uldaur or the Gunship in ICC
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance