Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shaman - easily the worst class to level up?

Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? I can't take on more than 2 mobs at a time (unless I blow all my cooldowns) without having to stop and heal myself. Any mini boss type mobs for quests etc take an eternity to kill. It just seems like I'm a wet sponge damage and defensive wise as both elemental and enhance. I reeeally find it painfully slow to level this class :S
    ^this is at 100-110 but I've always had this problem with leveling a shaman regardless of the level.

Deleted
    I made a /cast [@player] Rainfall macro and popped it anytime i pulled more than one mob or on the mini bosses and my survivability sky rocketed.

It's great for levelling, heals for a ton and the other options on that tier suck for soloing

Just don't level in elemental, and you shouldn't have a problem. Enh is actually quite op for leveling.

I had no problems at all leveling as Elemental. Just pull 5+ enemies, drop stun totem, cast stormkeeper, spam CL and EQ. On the next pull use earth elemental. Next pull you should have stormkeeper again and then be done with that area.

yeah i've died quite alot as enhance.. coming from a dh i'm not used to being this squishy =/
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    I made a /cast [@player] Rainfall macro and popped it anytime i pulled more than one mob or on the mini bosses and my survivability sky rocketed.

It's great for levelling, heals for a ton and the other options on that tier suck for soloing
    uhh this might be a stupid question, whats Rainfall? I don't have it in my spellbook as ele :S

Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Just don't level in elemental, and you shouldn't have a problem. Enh is actually quite op for leveling.
    I found enhance just as squishy as ele

How can Shaman be squishy? It wears chain mail.

You will not complain if you leveled a mage before.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

Mage is much easier than shaman imo, much easier to actually avoid being hit as a mage while still having strong burst single target + aoe whereas when I play shaman i find myself being pummeled almost to death on any pull that's either a strong mob or a bunch of mobs (again unless I blow all my major cd's to kill them quickly)

@xenogear3 dude, I leveled frost mage... Never left combat and never dropped below 90%
    1 of easiest classes to level if well-played great aoe, great single target burst, ok survival (100% ice barrier up + block for "o crap" situations), great mobs control and run-away. so yeh everything that shaman doesn't have....
    I didn't have THAT many problems while lvling my ele... but it was def weaker compared to mage for example... root totem is great for shaman leveling, much better than stun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp007 View Post
    uhh this might be a stupid question, whats Rainfall? I don't have it in my spellbook as ele :S
    Sorry dude it's one of the enhance talents.

Yep. Leveling as Shaman from 100-110 was painful. Even Shaman on 110 is pretty tough until you get decent equip. Our self healing capabilities are pathetic.

Rainfall is a talent(level 30 for Enhancement) IMO it sounds like you probably have some outdated gear. Legion can seem pretty rough if you're using under leveled stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Foaming Clean View Post
    Rainfall is a talent(level 30 for Enhancement) IMO it sounds like you probably have some outdated gear. Legion can seem pretty rough if you're using under leveled stuff
    My gear is fine, I've got pretty much all legion blue gear (my gear prior to starting legion was 700ish) so it wasnt green junk

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Sorry dude it's one of the enhance talents.
    Ah yep I just found it, I might try it with enhance, thanks for the tip

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about if you still have some 700 items after 102 or so you're going to start feeling it, it's not your fault its a design issue. A good option is to always start off in Val'Sharah for that dungeonless 800 chest, it helps offset the ilvl problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp007 View Post
    Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? I can't take on more than 2 mobs at a time (unless I blow all my cooldowns) without having to stop and heal myself. Any mini boss type mobs for quests etc take an eternity to kill. It just seems like I'm a wet sponge damage and defensive wise as both elemental and enhance. I reeeally find it painfully slow to level this class :S
    ^this is at 100-110 but I've always had this problem with leveling a shaman regardless of the level.
    Then you are doing it wrong. You're suppose to be enhancement cause you kill stuff quicker and you have shorter cool downs to use. You have an instant heal as well that is spam-able. WTF were YOU doing. Rolling on in and pulling 2 mobs and then just laying on the ground?

I've done them all except DH and I must admit that it takes a level or two to get it right in some cases, but almost all of them are pretty easy to level. Pulled three mobs? That's OK. I will use a CD to get through it. Pulled 5? In a bit of trouble here. Need major CDs and I need defensive CDs too put I prob wont die. That's me with most of the toons I have leveled(I had a few raid geared alts so I could pull a lot more with those).

If you are having trouble with ANY class when it comes to pulling only 2 mobs then you should probably have a rethink of the game and maybe just give it up. There really isn't that much hope for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Foaming Clean View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about if you still have some 700 items after 102 or so you're going to start feeling it, it's not your fault its a design issue. A good option is to always start off in Val'Sharah for that dungeonless 800 chest, it helps offset the ilvl problem.
    Well what this post is about is purely down to shamans feeling like a wet blanket compared to other classes, I've leveled pretty much every other class in Legion (not all of them to 110) but there's definitely a real struggle to shaman damage and defensive-wise. They just don't feel like they are wearing mail and as an elemental the shield should also by design reduce some of the damage you take.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    If you are having trouble with ANY class when it comes to pulling only 2 mobs then you should probably have a rethink of the game and maybe just give it up. There really isn't that much hope for you.
    not sure if taking the piss loool?

I haven't tried Elemental, but as someone who has levelled every class, Enhance in Legion was actually pretty awful. Just felt like it took more damage than other classes. I'd have thought Elemental would at least be marginally better due to being able to kill most things before they get to you. Getting the Artifact to begin with at roughly WoD LFR gear level was definitely more punishing than any other spec.

That said, Rogue levelling in MoP still has it beat by a mile. *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

lol'd when I saw this. Armour on gear makes zero difference when you can't physically be touched as a Mage. God forbid, if you think Mage was hard, that you even think about levelling anything else.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-05-14 at 02:09 PM.

Fair enough, I didn't really have issues with Shaman but I also lean towards Enhancement. For me, the worst was Arms Warrior I ended up switching to Fury as soon as I could do the quest for a second legendary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall having problems soloing stuff at all, as enhancement.

the damage is fine as enhancement atleast it's just the survivabilty that is the worst i've ever seen.. make sure to bring loads of fighter chow to heal up quickly between pulls.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.