Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Ever heard of the phrase 'thin end of the wedge'?
    Ever heard of the phrase "Tilting at Windmills"?

How about "Making mountains of molehills"?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The letter sent home was completely worthy of outrage. If there are other circumstances which caused the decision they shouldn't have blatantly lied to parents about it.
    To me it smells like a couple of teaches being regressive and the principle trying to cover for it, but I admit to being biased and without any proof in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The letter sent home was completely worthy of outrage. If there are other circumstances which caused the decision they shouldn't have blatantly lied to parents about it.
    To me it smells like a couple of teaches being regressive and the principle trying to cover for it, but I admit to being biased and without any proof in my opinion.
    Other parent's don't have a right to know that another child in their child's class has dead parents.

But don't let me stop you from your fake outrage.

The fake reason they gave was stupid, but give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Other parent's don't have a right to know that another child in their child's class has dead parents.

But don't let me stop you from your fake outrage.

The fake reason they gave was stupid, but give me a break.
    You seem far more outraged than I. The letter was worthy of censure, and it was treated accordingly. Lying wasn't necessary, and neither was telling personal info to people who, as you stated, don't need to know. Simply stating that due to unusual circumstances those holidays weren't being observed would have been sufficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You seem far more outraged than I. The letter was worthy of censure, and it was treated accordingly. Lying wasn't necessary, and neither was telling personal info to people who, as you stated, don't need to know. Simply stating that due to unusual circumstances those holidays weren't being observed would have been sufficient.
    lol I love this strategy. Keep on fighting that culture war.

I really do want to give these teachers the benefit of the doubt that PC culture has nothing to do with this, but then again this is Canada we're talking about. They're the only country diving further off the deep end about PC culture than America and that's saying something.

you guys do realize that kids do bully kids that are adopted or may be missing a parent and this could be to prevent that bullying so that kids dont have to deal with it, you know how kids are assholes especially in middle school making fun of people with disabilities, throwing food at them, calling them names, probably do the same for kids that may of been adopted or have gay parents, you guys only look at it in 1 light where simply not wanting kids to be bullied means were burning the first amendment, which isnt true but if thats what you think it is ok.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2017-05-14 at 04:39 AM.

right now there is some liberals against this. give an inch take mile. soon you wont bat an eye.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    you guys do realize that kids do bully kids that are adopted or may be missing a parent and this could be to prevent that bullying so that kids dont have to deal with it, you know how kids are assholes especially in middle school making fun of people with disabilities, throwing food at them, calling them names, probably do the same for kids that may of been adopted or have gay parents, you guys only look at it in 1 light where simply not wanting kids to be bullied means were burning the first amendment, which isnt true but if thats what you think it is ok.
    bullying is at an all time low. get over it already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Who cares? Replace all holiday arts and crafts with stuff that has actual educational value.
    People who love their parents. Doesnt seem like you'd know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Who cares? They're just made up holidays for hallmark to sell cards and shit.
    You're doing holidays wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    They say it's not PC culture but that's just pissing in the wind.

Honestly I love PC culture especially here in the US. Anytime PC culture rears it's ugly head the far left get made fun of even worse and the GOP grows it's base by a ton because of moderate liberals no longer identifying with the Democrats because of the crazies in their party that have hijacked it.
    As much as it pains me to say this, as a pretty hefty liberal, if I was in the US I probably wouldn't vote democrat anymore. I mean sure the republicans are going to fuck everything hard, but at least they don't have this creepy stalinesque elitist cult-think going on. Like, we can bounce back from republican shitheadery, but I fear we wouldn't be able to recover from THAT taking hold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    .ca is Canada, not to mention the /canada/ in your link should've given it away.
    I tried.

Last edited by mmoc00230c3bbe; 2017-05-14 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    "I didn't have parents, therefore everyone else who has parents isn't allowed to enjoy a holiday that doesn't affect me."

That about right?
    Unfortunately ...yes. This is quickly becoming the norm in our society. If you're mainstream, you need to be ashamed of yourself.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    This literally doesn't matter. It's a Holiday that falls on a Sunday and is thus outside of School hours ... there is no logical reason to recognize mother's day at ALL during the school term. Since there is no logical reason to recognize it, there is no need for a logical reason not to recognize it.

I don't care if it is about trauma, recognizing other types of family exist or because the moon was out during the day ... I don't care.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Deleted
    They celebrate mother's day at school? Isn't that pretty much a definition of a holiday you should keep in the family?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobrogost View Post
    They celebrate mother's day at school? Isn't that pretty much a definition of a holiday you should keep in the family?
    They are first and second grade kids. They make gift for their mothers...

This gets at what seems to be one of the core differences in people's political preferences. If there are 100 people and 99 of them think a thing would be nice and 1 would be upset by it, who gets the preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not everyone has a mother in their lives. No reason to force little kids to be depressed because they feel like an outsider in addition to not having a mother.
    Except....that...uhhhhh....

You're not getting forced?

LOL!

If you don't have a mother, then boohoo. You don't have to ruin everyone else's tradition with it.

OT: Why in the fuck? How in the fuck? What?

Back in the day, during my second grade, we made mother's gifts with NO problem at all. And, even if some people didn't have moms, they'd make a gift for either their dad, Grandma, or so forth.

Who in their left minds would be so triggered by this event, as where they have to cancel EVERYONE ELSE'S FU--

*Looks at the state*

Oh....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Except they are being forced as they're not choosing to be reminded that they're one of the few kids without a mother. There is literally no reason for this crap in school. You call it a tradition, but the person who started the tradition hated all the commercialized crap that it became. These "traditions" only serve to feed that monstrosity and allow corporations to benefit off of familial relationships. I love how little empathy you have for children without mothers though. Yours must be so proud.
    Might as well cancel Father's day then, cause "Boohoo. I'm that 1 man without a dad, ima destroy everyone else's tradition cause of it".

No, no. Might as well stop Christmas then, cause "I'm poor. SO, i'm gonna ruin EVERYONE ELSE'S hopes/dreams cause of it"/

Deleted
    Is this a common thing to celebrate in school in Canada?

in an effort to celebrate diversity, inclusiveness and also nurture our students who are part of non-traditional families
    I mean if they give this reason then they really shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people think they are just a bunch of crazy wankers. The teachers chose to hide behind it and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they jumped at the first possibility to use some "trauma" (probably one of the parents bit the dust and everyone who is at the school knows it anyway already) to get by the board while boasting about the PC garbage to the parents. They could just have not done anything and no one would have noticed. It's a school, and while some manual skills is definitely something worth teaching, they could have done anything here to teach the little shits to use their hands for more than oil drilling in their faces..

I know too many elementry school teachers - none of them are right in the head - and I wouldn't be surprised about anything they do. So yea, not buying the "trauma" thing here.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-05-14 at 12:35 PM.