Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got the pop-up notification again today. With 52 ads on the front page, there is no way in Hades I would whitelist mmoc and subject my computer to all those virii and other forms of malicious software.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

15+ Year Old Account
    never will whitelist this site and wouldnt pay to get rid of ads either so you can stop with the pop up asking for your shitty ads to be let through and try and infect my computer this site and wowhead are the only real reason i have ad blockers maybe yall should change yourshit if you want people to whitelist you
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Just FYI that white list pop up will never get me to whitelist your site. That is ridiculous.
    -Insert witty signature here-

any way to program ublock to block the whitelist request?

*nvm, found a way.*
    Last edited by Binaris; 2017-05-14 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Mods work for free, but I guess at least guys like Bobouille and Chaud who do the heavy lifting earn their living from it. And suddenly ~200k dollars is not a fortune anymore
    Well, didn't chaud just imply he was the only staff they have?

Referring to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    For the most part I'm the entire content and development team for MMOC. Additional revenue will allow us to actually develop more features.
    And it's not like the site's changed much, ever. I think there was a visual facelift around the time of the Curse acquisition, but it's been basically identical for those past seven-ish years (and, honestly, not that radically different before then). Sure, keeping everything up-to-date and maintained is some work, but it's not like there's been massive feature development going on that suddenly ground to a halt by lack of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Not nitpicking, but he says "content and development" - I admit I have no idea what it takes in rent, server costs, bandwidth etc to run a site like this.
    Every time you make a post, you're costing MMO-C like $1 for storage space + the page views that will make people click this thread + the database for your user info and stuff like that has to be updated so you get your forum title and post counts adjusted.

The more I think about it, it's probably really really expensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Every time you make a post, you're costing MMO-C like $1 for storage space + the page views that will make people click this thread + the database for your user info and stuff like that has to be updated so you get your forum title and post counts adjusted.

The more I think about it, it's probably really really expensive.
    You do not cost $1 per post.

This site has not cost $27,000,000 in hosting fees before staff costs.

Deleted
    The reason most people use adblock is malware or obstructive ads. I gladly pay a small fee for premium content to support the site

If you dont want to see the message add this this domain to your blocklist

||broadcastbed.com^

Regards

I was going to comment earlier in this thread but then I saw an annoying "we could just push ads through your adblocker anyway, but lucky you we haven't yet!" post from an admin/mod. Not to hate on mods but that was a really obnoxious post, I am not going to quote it here.

Also more annoying is the EVEN LARGER "we see you have adblocker!" post on MMO-C lately...

Really you guys are going about this the wrong way, and that dude who tried to surreptitiously encourage us to turn off AdBlocker in off-topic within a month of the announcement of the sale to Twitch on his low-post account was really fucking transparent.

TL,DR: I don't know who's running Twitch but they have no idea what the hell they're doing because all they have done is alienate posters for the past 1-2 months.

Yes that was constructive feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Yeah, just very poor standards for their content - they allow full on abuse of people, so when you say strict standards - given the abysmally low standard for content - their strict standards for ads isn't saying much.
    Actually within the context of this thread it says everything. You can get hurt feelings from a Reddit post but you can't get a drive-by Cryptolocker install.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I was going to comment earlier in this thread but then I saw an annoying "we could just push ads through your adblocker anyway, but lucky you we haven't yet!" post from an admin/mod. Not to hate on mods but that was a really obnoxious post, I am not going to quote it here.

Also more annoying is the EVEN LARGER "we see you have adblocker!" post on MMO-C lately...

Really you guys are going about this the wrong way, and that dude who tried to surreptitiously encourage us to turn off AdBlocker in off-topic within a month of the announcement of the sale to Twitch on his low-post account was really fucking transparent.

TL,DR: I don't know who's running Twitch but they have no idea what the hell they're doing because all they have done is alienate posters for the past 1-2 months.

Yes that was constructive feedback.
    It's this ridiculous circular armsrace. Site owners respond to increasing numbers of adblocking site visitors who are responding to increasingly horrible ads. Adblock, Ghostery and Noscript are the only things that make the web tolerable in 2017. Source: Grumpy old person in their mid-30's who remembers the Good Old Days™.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Actually within the context of this thread it says everything. You can get hurt feelings from a Reddit post but you can't get a drive-by Cryptolocker install.
    Well, Reddit almost cost me my life, I put that as slightly more severe than losing my computer...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well, Reddit almost cost me my life, I put that as slightly more severe than losing my computer...
    I'm guessing you might have had some real life trauma some idiot in a reddit thread triggered a negative reaction to and that you're keeping it purposely vague for a reason. Sorry if that's the case, hope it worked out OK for you.

In a general sense though, day to day more damage is done to a larger number of people by malicious advertising because their reach isn't subjective. Anybody running an unpatched browser/OS can get hit.

That said I get what you're saying about Reddit... But light moderation is in the DNA of that site. If it wasn't then every single subreddit would be like The_Donald.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm guessing you might have had some real life trauma some idiot in a reddit thread triggered a negative reaction to and that you're keeping it purposely vague for a reason. Sorry if that's the case, hope it worked out OK for you.
    I had one idiot farm up 20,000 people to personally go after me after being asked to do an IMA on my mental illness. The 'moderators' decided it was fun and let it happen.

Oh - and no, I've not recovered - and probably never will.

So - while MMO-C might threaten my computer, I've never personally felt under threat here - even though the moderators and the mod system are very lenient.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-05-15 at 05:19 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That stuff is more or less the default on many major news websites for about two years now, I'm retroactively surprised we didn't see one here earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but until you can guarantee you won't run full page adds, with sounds, and don't run extraneous crap that cripples my work PC there's no risk of me white listing the site. I wouldn't even have an adblocker if it wasn't for the kinds of ads you deem "acceptable" here.

Hello, everyone! This week, we're trying out a different AdBlock whitelisting request notification.
    "Ti ti ti, u naughty boi, we see u using adblock" as an entry phrase isn't "a request". It's spying.

This is something you can easily dismiss, and it'll appear every few days as a reminder that whitelisting really helps us out.
    Easily dismiss... as gazillion of ads you're throwing at us. They too can be "easily dismissed" :/

We're aware ads can sometimes be a frustrating experience,
    Are you serious? Really? Tell me you're joking. Cos it ain't funny. Ads. Are. Always. A. Frustrating. Experience. 99.99% of all ads relate to something I a). am not interested b). can't afford hence see a). c). they are so poorly designed so my eyes bleed d). "by accident" they load FIRST, sometimes even when page forgets to load actual content. Over the past 5 years I saw good and interesting ads so many times i could count in with just ONE HAND. And I even managed to forget what they were about already.

but - realistically - they are our main revenue source and necessary for us to remain online.
    At least you're honest with it.

Please know that we want you to have a positive experience on the site,
    Then stop throwing annoying, "catch the escaping X", annoying music background playback ads. And then I *might* consider whitelisting.

and if you do decide to whitelist us, you should have a lighter ad experience.
    Bold part alone says adblock remains on. "Should" means it may happen, or it may not. So even if I whitelist you I may have the same (or even worse) experience. Really great incentive to turn adblock off. Really, GZ.

No matter how you may feel, your feedback on this notification is greatly appreciated. We'll be reading it all and passing it along to everyone on our team.
    And then throw it to paper shredder and continue with current ad policy. But hey - we did what we promised, right? We read all of it, passed along the team. No one said we will take feedback to our hearts and change anything. Typical PR and Marketing speech that makes people think "they" are listening.

FAQ I'll mercifully skip as it's not even worth commenting on.

My adblocker shows that it is blocking eleventy million ads!?
    This is the number of requests blocked, not actual ads. There are usually around 3-5 ads on a page.
    Actually I will comment on this gem. I earn 2k, my boss earns 50k. Usual paycheck in my company is 3.5k - c wut I did here?

And as a summary about ads, their design, company approach, PR and marketing shit - I know what I'm talking about. I used to work as a marketing emploee, I wrote tonnes of PR and marketing texts, I made ads, designed them. As well as whole campaigns. So I KNOW how it works behind the scenes. I tried to make "my" ads at least non annoying. But hard financial aspect stays in opposition to that and I KNOW that $$ >> "light ad experience".

I'm glad i'm all done with that dung pit marketing was. And I simply don't believe in "whitelist us and we MAY limit ad count". First - limit it first and then we talk. Second - I can promise things too, it cost's nothing. Third - whitelisting = more ads shown = more $. No company will resign on free money.

If you REALLY want to decrease ad amount you have 2 choices:
    - limit ad count across the board, no matter if people are using adb or not
    - introduce premium account that is TOTALLy ad free. And i mean it. no single add.

No other way. Plea for whitelisting for a shady promise won't go far. Especially with a bad history of malware ads and huge request amount that is blocked per page. My adb says 38 blocked for this page alone. And you say requests =/= ads. Well, if you claim to provide 3-4 ads so why so many requests? I don't need gazillion other sites to know that I visit MMO-C.

There you go - feedback as requested.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I would be open to paying for a premium, it would only be after you remove the dumb ass rule of not discussing moderator actions

Sorry but your moderation on this site is shit and needs an overhaul. You don't have moderators you have infractors and thread closers.

Just going to post it here- I only started using an adblocker regularly about 8 months ago, and the sole reason I installed it was for MMOChamp.

The adds had become so severely intrusive that it wasn't possible to regularly use the site without them.

This arms race you're doing of making more and more intrusive adds to combat people using adblock? That's what's making people use adblock. I don't mind adds, I understand revenue is supported from them. But when I'm constantly getting blaring audio from an auto play video add, or getting worrying scripts, or having an add that is so huge it makes it hard to read the rest of the page? That's a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Deleted
    Decided to try seeing what the site looks like with adblock temporarily paused.

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Heallygood View Post
    Decided to try seeing what the site looks like with adblock temporarily paused.
    Nope...
    I am guessing you didn't originally have the site blocked and then unblock it?