Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Generalizations like that are always fun.
    Especially since some of the left leaning folks in this thread include a Doctor, a Business Owner of a restaurant chain, a Lawyer, and a Locomotive Engineer. All jobs that are paying well into the six figure bracket....and at least two of them have families.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's just an attempt of trying to whitewash Republicans actual position on the scales. Sorry, but just because they are way far off to the right, doesn't make democrats anything left, but still right wing.
    That's the problem with current wave of "independent" and "awoke"... Trump isn't bad, because everything happening with him, is the same as republicans did with Obama. At no point acknowledging the independent thought that should review the merits of each, which objectively show not only a difference on merit, but even scope.

Trump's support has succeeded in convincing many to give him a pass, because they can deflect to someone else. At no point realizing that it doesn't make them moderate or independent, just ignorant. Fox News version of fair and balanced, isn't actually fair or balanced... it's disingenuous... which doesn't doesn't make them as much supporters, but just as good... those who don't care... Trump/Bannon/Alex Jones have succeeded in disenfranchising a large portion of the population.

There were no Obama FEMA camps, there was no Muslim brotherhood, there was no government take over. Now, Russia must be fake, because that's consistent with Obama's term's bullshit. At no point realizing that the consistent perspective is Trump/Bannon/Alex Jones are still doing the same lying and not that they switched places with MSM, because they are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Priorities change when you gets older. Left leaning people usually do not have responsibilies or proper jobs.
    This just means you have a superiority complex. Left and right leaning people are the same... they just... gasp... disagree on what is the right way to make things better.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It's a twist on Hillary Clinton's quote about her being liberal at heart and conservative in mind:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/WhoIs/story?id=3963326
    No it isn't. It's a quote that was said to have been quoted from Churchill but the meanings of it is lost on Americans because the term Liberal and Conservative had a different meaning back in Churchill's time in parliament, they were names of the big 2 parties until Labour grew in the 20s and 30s. Even if he did say it, it was more "Don't be stupid in parliament and swap parties when it is convenient."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Especially since some of the left leaning folks in this thread include a Doctor, a Business Owner of a restaurant chain, a Lawyer, and a Locomotive Engineer. All jobs that are paying well into the six figure bracket....and at least two of them have families.
    Nahh, who needs any of that!

Proper jobs would be like coal miner, conman, conspiracy youtuber, russian agent, and so forth
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No it isn't. It's a quote that was said to have been quoted from Churchill but the meanings of it is lost on Americans because the term Liberal and Conservative had a different meaning back in Churchill's time in parliament, they were names of the big 2 parties until Labour grew in the 20s and 30s. Even if he did say it, it was more "Don't be stupid in parliament and swap parties when it is convenient."
    Could I get a source?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Yeah...authoritatian is very close to extreme right.....but they are not a perfect fit

And yes i mean Social justice warrior....I agree with it being a useless pejorative ( for the most part). But calling them liberals is a injustice and not correct. Left extremist would be better.
    It sucks being where I sit, really. I'm somewhere between Bernie Sanders and Noam Chomsky, yet appreciate that very few people are. I suppose my biggest complaint is that the British people in general (and American, I expect) are nowhere near as right-wing as their 'elected' representatives would have you believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Nahh, who needs any of that!

Proper jobs would be like coal miner, conman, conspiracy youtuber, russian agent, and so forth
    Well now that you mention it there are at least two Conservative posters in here that are known liars and conspiracy theorists. You may have something there.

For me it's mostly how the Left has been taken over by SJWs, Feminazis, and Atrocity apologists.
    I'm going to continue to stay true to the actual values of the Left, but I can no longer associate with the PC crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    http://nos.nl/artikel/2163382-jong-o...ke-partij.html

Found some interesting stats on the dutch election for this.

GroenLinks(Green, left) and Democrats 66'(centre-liberals) have the most educated voter base.

For age,
    Labour moved up to the third party for 65+, even though it did terrible in general.
    50 to 64, the SP(most left wing party) moves from 5th to 3th place.
    And for 18-24, the biggest historical left wing part(labour) and current biggest one(SP, shared with the greens) only got 4% of the vote... together.

Labour has the oldest average voting base out of all parties.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2017-05-14 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Priorities change when you gets older. Left leaning people usually do not have responsibilies or proper jobs.
    Sorry to double reply, but this is a horrible thing to say, if you actually think about it. The GOP in US believes in Trickle Down economics. Trickle down is hopining that your big daddy business man will rain down money on you, just because they are rich. You can claim the alternative is government dependency, but in US the government is of the people, by the people, for the people. So, the people being dependent on them selfs, is a far more mature ideology, than one waiting for the rich to have so much money, that it trickles to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Come on man, you're smarter than this...
    You claimed there was "literally no evidence" that people get more conservative as they get older and I provided evidence that they do - in the UK at least, where you and I both come from.

In that graphic, conservatism becomes more popular as people age. There was another graphic with the under/over 40s gender split and it showed the same thing, though young women are more left wing than young men, who tend more toward the centre.

You are quite far left, so the only thing one can conclude from that is you have the mind of a bairn lass, to use the Geordie vernacular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    http://nos.nl/artikel/2163382-jong-o...ke-partij.html

Found some intresting stats on the dutch election for this.

Labour moved up to the third party for 65+, even though it did terrible in general.
    50 to 64, the SP(most left wing party) moves from 5th to 3th place.
    And for 18-24, the biggest historical left wing part(labour) and current biggest one(SP, shared with the greens) only got 4% of the vote... together.

Labour has the oldest average voting base out of all parties.
    Which makes sense to the rest of the world, but this is America we're talking about. Where everyone who wants Universal Healthcare and better wages for its workers are somehow trying to steal money from the ultra wealthy so they must be the lowest people in society to support politicians who advocate stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Could I get a source?
    Most people get it from images they see around the internet like the few I will link below. (Since majority of people generally don't follow the don't trust quotes you read on the net)

http://i.quoteaddicts.com/media/quot...nservative.jpg
    http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/...ill-375541.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...620de356b7.jpg

For some reason it got linked to him when he wouldn't have said it. He started Conservative, jumped to Liberals when it was politically convenient (When they were in Government and pretty much dominating.) and then jumped back to conservative when the Liberals were losing power once again. Just so he could keep his career in politics near the top. Liberals as a party in the UK were socially somewhat liberal while economically conservative (In modern American terms) while the Conservatives were Conservative at both. UK didn't really have a party that was both Socially and Economically on the liberal side until the growth of Labour.

The quote itself though has had many changes through the years and seemingly dates back to the 1800s

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/24/heart-head/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    For me it's mostly how the Left has been taken over by SJWs, Feminazis, and Atrocity apologists.
    I'm going to continue to stay true to the actual values of the Left, but I can no longer associate with the PC crowd.
    You have been tricked. Was it the left who voted in a billionaire into office, as an example of the working, blue collar? As much as one wants to claim Obama won on identity politics, he won when a turd sandwich could have beaten a republican, to the point that republicans started calling them selfs tea party. The RNC didn't have the economy as its own topic in their platform nominating McCain, as three banks failed that same month and we had reassuring Bush White House lawn speeches of a self fixing economy.

Yet, Trump won while the economy was booming, unemployment was below 5% and we were breaking Dow records on nearly weekly basis for a couple of years. Billionaire running as the working class, over the out of touch Obama, who grew up middle income to a single mother. Hillary, who also didn't grow up with a silver spoon in her mouth and had to bust ass from middle income. Yet, it was they who pushed identity and not Trump? You got scammed...

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    I started becoming more conservative after I started working, I got my first paycheck and i saw how much was taken off in tax and national insurance.
    Funny enough I became fully liberal thanks to working. Made me realize how much I fucking hate the right and the way they blow taxes on "defense".

The biggest cognitive dissonance facing the left is that they promote diversity and yet they hold firm to identity politics. You can't be simultaneously for cultural (sharing) and genetic diversity while holding steadfast to identity politics. If you are for the ambiguous, nuanced, and complex nature of cultural and genetic diversity that means you should not believe in the rigidity and black/white, categorical nature of identity politics.

Here is a good example of such cognitive dissonance:

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/life...h-black-enough

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    Yeah I agree with Bill Maher on this. Tolerance of progressive ideals not oppression of progressive ideals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You claimed there was "literally no evidence" that people get more conservative as they get older and I provided evidence that they do - in the UK at least, where you and I both come from.

In that graphic, conservatism becomes more popular as people age. There was another graphic with the under/over 40s gender split and it showed the same thing, though young women are more left wing than young men, who tend more toward the centre.

You are quite far left, so the only thing one can conclude from that is you have the mind of a bairn lass, to use the Geordie vernacular.
    People who are older grew up in older, more traditionalist and conservative times, hence among them the fraction of conservative people is higher. It has nothing to do with change of preferences over years.

It is the same in Japan: there is a class of very-very old people, who grew up in before WW2, and many of them still hold those semi-totalitarian values, miss the times when the Emperor ruled the nation and so on. But young people growing nowadays, in the age of rapid westernization, human rights narrative, hippie-like youth culture and such - you won't find many of them who want to return to the "glorious empire" days.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Got any evidence to back this up?
    Should be easy enough to prove one way or the other by associating age brackets with voting records.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    People who are older grew up in older, more traditionalist and conservative times, hence among them the fraction of conservative people is higher. It has nothing to do with change of preferences over years.
    Except the level of conservatives is not going down, which would be impossible if what you said was true as people tend to die at some point. So either people typically do become more conservative as they get older, or British conservatives have found the secret of eternal life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    uhh you live in a country that is ruled by germany.
    Well, I invite you to prove your statement since I disagree.