Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

my only hope is that they dont spend too much time talking about how much younger and prettier he is in the show
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. That's why I'm hoping it'll be someone like Kris Marshall, who is young enough to hopefully win back some viewers, but isn't really what anyone would consider to be "pretty"...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's gonna make the weeping angels extremely happy, so much for "don't blink" :S

10+ Year Old Account
    God DAMN that was a great episode. Solid 9.5/10.

Great story, Bill and the Doctor continued to be awesome, and the "Enemy" was very original. Particularly loved the sequence where Bill was out of her suit as they were running between airlocks. VERY well done.

Only thing which stopped it from being an epic 10/10 episode was the Doctor's plan to defeat them being a LITTLE predictable. Other than that, excellent episode.

And that Cliffhanger .

Can't wait to see if it's resolved next week, or if this will be an ongoing plot point... Also

This is the first time I can remember the Doctor really being injured... Not just like a few cuts and scrapes that are gone by the end of the episode, but a REAL long term, ongoing injury. Interesting.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    The blindness is awesome to me, I am excited for actual, real continuity with doctor's health. Having him be blind can be really good storytelling.
    Honestly, its sad that the good writing is coming so late in 12th Doctor's run... I wish he had more episodes like these
    Agreed 1000%, I actually hope that this does stick around beyond the next episode and becomes a big plot point. Possibly even going as far as to be a direct cause of his regeneration. It's good that they're showing the Doctor to be fallible, it's a refreshing break from all the godly last second saves he's pulled out of his ass for the past... ten seasons XD.

And I also totally agree, that it's a DAMN shame we're only getting episodes of this quality, so late into Capaldi's run :'(

>Not instantly curing his blindness with regeneration energy

What a load of crap
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I doubt it, especially since the scene would literally be just 5 minutes of him flipping controls on the TARDIS console. They're going to write that off as something he probably did between "Return of Doctor Mysterio" and "The Pilot".
    I remember reading somewhere that they were going to address it.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that they were going to address it.
    To be fair, they can address it without showing it. The fact they're going to address it just means they'll acknowledge that it happened...

Hell, for all we know, they're "Addressing it" could have been him going back to Galifrey at the end of the season 9.

Speaking of, why did only 13 doctors participate, and not the ones after? There's that line, "all thirteen!", but... surely there's no legitimate reason that those particular 13 incarnations would participate while none of the future ones do?
    They didn't need to I guess? They knew they did it with 13.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of, why did only 13 doctors participate, and not the ones after? There's that line, "all thirteen!", but... surely there's no legitimate reason that those particular 13 incarnations would participate while none of the future ones do?
    Probably just because at that time, 13 is the most doctors we have. If we were on the 15th Doc it would have been "All 15"

Wasn't there some doubt as to whether there'd be future regenerations?

Like, Matt Smith's Doctor is supposed to be The Doctor's last regeneration. Then the Time Lords grant him.......well, it's kind of unclear what they grant him....a new regeneration, or a new cycle of regenerations. Now, for the sake of the show, we as viewers know it's probably a new cycle - but I think it'd be fair to say it's probably something on Capaldi's Doctor's mind.

Hence, because future is always a shifting sort of thing, and we could only guarantee the 13 at that point - only 13 showed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you could be right. I seem to recall there being some mention of Capaldi's being a somewhat... Nonstandard regeneration. No one knows exactly what that means, we just know it means wierd shit is afoot.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This episode felt like Doctor Who, something the show hasn't done a lot of lately. This felt like a really classic Tennant episode and Capaldi fit well. Taking a year off really helped their writing. Maybe every other year is for the best?
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wasn't there some doubt as to whether there'd be future regenerations?

Like, Matt Smith's Doctor is supposed to be The Doctor's last regeneration. Then the Time Lords grant him.......well, it's kind of unclear what they grant him....a new regeneration, or a new cycle of regenerations. Now, for the sake of the show, we as viewers know it's probably a new cycle - but I think it'd be fair to say it's probably something on Capaldi's Doctor's mind.

Hence, because future is always a shifting sort of thing, and we could only guarantee the 13 at that point - only 13 showed up.
    Dont worry about that! I honestly dont know why the writers ever put a limit on regenerations in the first place!

Yeah Rassilon said immortality was a curse back in the five doctors but lets be real this show will outlive old rassilon himself!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bgdfahrq View Post
    Dont worry about that! I honestly dont know why the writers ever put a limit on regenerations in the first place!
    Same reason writers invented kryptonite for Superman. Otherwise Doctor would be OP. You could kill him infinite amount of times and he would regenerate every time and then you die of old age and he is as young as the recent regeneration.

I.e. for drama.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean when Capaldi regenerates at the end of this season, not when Matt Smith regenerated into Capaldi. So I have the feeling that whatever happens at the end of this season it'll be a little... Non standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can recall, it shouldn't be.They said he was just given a new regeneration cycle, didn't they? So, should just be 12 regular regenerations
    Maybe. But as this season started, the Moff said in an interview (I looked, can't find it again ) that this regeneration was going to be "Non Standard" whatever that means... I'm assuming that was his suitably moffatian way of saying that something is going to go a bit wrong with this regeneration, and it wont be the usual "Oh no it's time to go: just enough time left to give my big farewell speech"

10+ Year Old Account
    "So, Bill, how about we go t---AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"
    Haha, honestly, at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that... Given how excellent Capaldi has been at delivering the climactic speech (Zygon Inversion anti war speech anyone?), it would be almost impossible for his "final" speech to EVER have enough impact, because people are expecting so much from it.

Why not just have him like... Fall down a hole or something. Then we see some lights flashing, and the new Doctor emerges.

im gonna start watching class soon. its up to you guys whether or not i should do my reactions to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Maybe. But as this season started, the Moff said in an interview (I looked, can't find it again ) that this regeneration was going to be "Non Standard" whatever that means... I'm assuming that was his suitably moffatian way of saying that something is going to go a bit wrong with this regeneration, and it wont be the usual "Oh no it's time to go: just enough time left to give my big farewell speech"
    if i recall correctly i think the interview you're talking about he meant time wise, like, say the doctor was regenerating the entire episode instead of just at christmas as the rumour right now is that his regeneration is going to start in the series finale and the christmas special is going to take place in the time between that and the new doctor.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Story twist only are so interesting for so long, they get old real quick. I know which one I would rather prefer.