Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The war on slavery and its abolioshemt was surely what turned out to be an important thing, but mostly because the US established itself as a powerfull industrial and military power. It would have otherwise been an event not worth mentioning. But to assume the reason the war was fought on both sides to the point of total exhaustion (30% rule) was the abolishment of slavery is worrying. How would you even come to such a conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're confederate supporters?

To be more historically accurate, they should have been holding these instead:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    Its almost as if state borders are just arbitrary lines and you can't equate the same beliefs to all the people living within those boundaries. Hell even good old "Commyfornia" has its split with the Northern parts of the state being more rural and conservative in relation to their SoCal contemporaries.

The conservative, rural parts of California are just in the middle. Northern and Southern California proper are both liberal.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm curious, what exactly were they doing? And why?

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    All that this tells me is that whiny people can't stand the fact that history happened and want to take any mention of it away from the future generations. Get over yourselves, it happened.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I find it sad that people can't understand it's not about WHO the statue is, it's about what it represents.

Robert E. Lee himself wasn't terrible, but the confederacy and what they stood for is and was.

I imagine being black and seeing the stupid thing is a nice reminder once in awhile that "Hey! Remember that time about 150 years ago when your town/state/entire geographical location in the U.S decided that you were property, and they'd die for the right to own you? Isn't great your town felt that was worthy of a statue in a public park?" probably grates on you a little.

But hey, I'm can actually empathize with people. Seems to be a dying trait nowadays.
    What it represents is Robert E. fucking Lee... The guy was a great American, who spent several decades and his entire adult life before the Civil War as an extremely accomplished officer in the US military. Who was instrumental in the peaceable end to the Civil War. The military still honors him to this day with facilities named in his honor... Hell Arlington National Cemetery is built on the guy's fucking estate.

Its not a monument to the Confederate States of America, its a monument to Robert E. Lee.

Said Northam, “There is no place for hate, fear, or intimidation in Virginia. The display in Charlottesville is the last gasp of a disgusting ideology. In this commonwealth, our doors are open, our lights are on, and we are welcome to everyone who shares a love for it, no matter who you are or where you’re from.”

Perriello, who grew up in Charlottesville, tweeted derisively at Spencer after the alt-right leader posted video of the first protest.

“Get your white supremacist hate out of my hometown,” Perriello wrote on Twitter.

Spencer replied: “We won, you lost, little Tommy.”

“Actually, you lost,” Perriello shot back. “In 1865. 150 years later, you’re still not over it.”

Spencer being the "alt-right" racist guy who got punched in Washington DC during the inaugural.

Robert E Lee is a famous Civil War general who deserves a lot of respect and maybe even a statue or two. It's a complex issue.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    When you can't defend something, resort to whataboutism.
    It wasn't a whataboutism, is was pointing out the hyperbolic hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    “Actually, you lost,” Perriello shot back. “In 1865. 150 years later, you’re still not over it.”

'bout sums it up
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    It wasn't a whataboutism, is was pointing out the hyperbolic hypocrisy.
    The only ones talking about far left wing protests in this thread are you and other guys invoking whataboutism.

Why are we tearing down these statues anyway? Shouldn't we not want to forget some of this countries dark history? Wasn't there a quote about being doomed to repeat history or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Why are we tearing down these statues anyway? Shouldn't we not want to forget some of this countries dark history? Wasn't there a quote about being doomed to repeat history or something?
    Because white people are evil, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Why are we tearing down these statues anyway?
    Because they celebrate treason in defense of slavery.

You want to erect memorials and museums in remembrance of the horrors of chattel slavery? Fine. There's plenty of room for them because hardly any exist, despite all this bad faith prattle about the need for "remembering history."

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post

You want to erect memorials and museums in remembrance of the horrors of chattel slavery? Fine. There's plenty of room for them because hardly any exist, despite all this bad faith prattle about the need for "remembering history."
    It's comments like these that make me wonder if I could paralyze someone in fear with a picture of Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Torches? Oh no. Oh no.

This is it. This is where it begins. The mobilization of right wing death squads and the beginning of the fourth reich. The culmination of all our fears. Hide your Red Books and kippahs. Shit is about to go down.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post

Well everything was fine until Yankees thought the farm equipment was people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    If you think this is just about at statue you are missing the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Your point being?
    point being calling everyone whos of a certain persuasion towards their nationalism that you dislike a nazi is disingenuous. This isn't nazism on display, just old white nationalism from some stupid mongoloids
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, the Civil War was about slavery, no amount of whitewashing and willful ignorance will change that.
    Civil war was NOT about slavery. Abe adopted the slavery angle later for support and moral. The war was basically industry vs. agriculture, and the North having too much power in the Government. Then, as the war started, it was Abe who wanted to fight for the continuity of America.

You might be able to tie in the agriculture and slaves bit, but that's as far as i'll allow it.

A) Agreed Richard Spencer is a idiot

B) Honestly this is a effective protest as long as no one gets hurt, I think it is a smart move from a strategic point of view

C) I think we should keep as many civil war statues and memorials up as possible, even make more. To forget our past is folly, the people who want to tear these down are in the same mindset the nazi's they claim to hate when did their book burning. Embrace you faults and mistakes don't try and erase them

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

Grant and Lee both went to West Point together.
    What? No they were not. Lee was 1825-1829 and then Superintendent from 1852-1855. Grant was at West Point from 1839-1843. Maybe you were thinking Longstreet (I think) and Grant?