10+ Year Old Account

Dumbell chest press..

I really wanna do some dumbell chest press as part of my workout, but the last three times I've tried, I've gotten a huge headache for like a couple of days after. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. Anyone ever experienced neck tension and headaches when working shoulders and chest?

Did you hold your breath during the last couple reps?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilara View Post
    Did you hold your breath during the last couple reps?
    No, I don't think I did

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    I really wanna do some dumbell chest press as part of my workout, but the last three times I've tried, I've gotten a huge headache for like a couple of days after. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. Anyone ever experienced neck tension and headaches when working shoulders and chest?
    Sounds like your straining yourself from starting a brand new exercise with too much weight. Each exercise you do works out a different set of muscles if you're starting a brand new one and your treating at the same weight and intensity as your other exercises this is likely your problem. Gotta go back to the start and build up to it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Sounds like your straining yourself from starting a brand new exercise with too much weight. Each exercise you do works out a different set of muscles if you're starting a brand new one and your treating at the same weight and intensity as your other exercises this is likely your problem. Gotta go back to the start and build up to it
    I thought I was being very careful, I only used 12 kg (26lbs) weights

I thought I was being very careful, I only used 12 kg (26lbs) weights
    So I'm assuming low weight but high reps then?

I'd suggest maybe keeping to this exercise at home and using two tins of beans as a start point, it might look and feel ridiculous but it's a good starting weight.

Or maybe you were at your peak at gym and this last little exercise is enough to overflow your glass so to speak. Maybe lose another exercise out of it and see.

And it probably goes without saying, but are you taking enough fluids in before, during and after the sessions? and I don't mean protein shake shit, I mean water pre / during and an isotonic drink of some sort after for topping up your glucose levels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    So I'm assuming low weight but high reps then?

I'd suggest maybe keeping to this exercise at home and using two tins of beans as a start point, it might look and feel ridiculous but it's a good starting weight.

Or maybe you were at your peak at gym and this last little exercise is enough to overflow your glass so to speak. Maybe lose another exercise out of it and see.

And it probably goes without saying, but are you taking enough fluids in before, during and after the sessions? and I don't mean protein shake shit, I mean water pre / during and an isotonic drink of some sort after for topping up your glucose levels?
    Hah, nah I don't use protein powder. Thanks for those tips!

Then it might be a form issue. If you pinch your shoulderblades together, plant your feet into the ground and tighten your core you have a stronger base to push from. There's plenty of youtube videos about benching form. It's crucial for pushing the weights with the muscles you want to use, poor form leads to other muscles that aren't supposed to work to join in on the exercise. You could also have a tight sternocleidomastoid, maybe you need to do some stretches.
    It's always a bit hard to 'diagnose' these things online but there are a lot of good tips here already hope one of them in this thread helps you fix the issue!

There's lots of secondary and tertiary stabilizer muscles involved when lifting weights.
    These muscle fibers tear when lifting as do the primary groups.
    They also often perform double duty as stabilizers for other primary muscle groups.

One group of muscles that is often taxed thru overuse/improper form is the suboccipitals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suboccipital_muscles

try massaging the muscles there. Their fibers have been agitated greatly and are swollen and inflamed. Stimulating the blood flow will allow nutrients, water, and oxygen to begin to repair the damage and clear away lactic acid.

I started doing more DBPress this year and I noticed my breathing was causing those starry headache issues.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    I started doing more DBPress this year and I noticed my breathing was causing those starry headache issues.
    Really, that sounds so strange guess I could try holding my breath..

Really, that sounds so strange guess I could try holding my breath..
    Holding your breath is what is going to cause that dizzyness / headache issues.
    Don't hold your breath. Even if some "cool" lifter bro advises you to do it.

This more than likely has to do with you pushing your head back into the bench. I have the same issue when doing heavy incline bench presses. Push your ass into the bench, lock your legs in place with some tension on your quads, and push your shoulders back and in so that your shoulderblades are squeezed together. If you feel any kind of pressure on your neck take a second and re-evaluate your form

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Holding your breath is what is going to cause that dizzyness / headache issues.
    Don't hold your breath. Even if some "cool" lifter bro advises you to do it.
    Ooh sorry, that's what you guys meant. I got it the wrong way around hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    This more than likely has to do with you pushing your head back into the bench. I have the same issue when doing heavy incline bench presses. Push your ass into the bench, lock your legs in place with some tension on your quads, and push your shoulders back and in so that your shoulderblades are squeezed together. If you feel any kind of pressure on your neck take a second and re-evaluate your form
    Ok, thanks.

As its been said, form is likely the factor here. It sounds like you are rounding your shoulders and using them to lift, as opposed to pinning your shoulder blades and lifting with as much chest and tri as possible.
    Also I'd suggest avoiding flat bench dumbell chest press. I have 2 main issues with it, they are kind of related...
    Range of motion is hard to define, and it's very easy to go too far down. As opposed to a barbell which when it hits your chest, end of motion.
    And the related part, dismounting, getting out of the position, if not done properly is rough on the shoulder, rolling them down and to far to drop the weights.

I usually suggest flat barbell bench and then inclined dumbell bench.