Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Scared of playing with others

Hey guys, when I play HOTS, usually I feel anxious about playing anything other than vs AI with AI teammates, since i'm scared I don't grasp any of the tactics and people will flame me.

I have, in my 67 levels, played 5 quick-matches (4-1 score) which isn't bad, but usually I just play a support/healer and follow people, I still don't dare play as a front-foot, pioneering class, since I don't know what to do in which maps, which lane i'm meant to be in, how to push etc. since people don't communicate in game at all, they just seem to expect others to know what to do..

Anyone else feel this way? And know how to get over it?

There are 2 ways.

1)You actually start learning the game so you know you didnt fuck up but they did despite what they believe by reading up and understand how it works.

2)You passively learn to ignore the flaming and keep doing your thing.

I have a friend thats number 2 actually, despite being 1250 player level, at some point he will not give a fuck and simply plays the game even if you are flaming him from 30 centimeters distance while sitting on LAN with him.

Never had that problem myself, but I guess the best thing to do would be to read up on heroes/maps. You'll learn eventually, and it's only QM so most people won't really care if you win or lose..
    Granted, there will always be assholes playing, muting those people fixes that issue tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

The unfortunate truth of playing competitive online games like HOTS is that regardless of how well you play, some folk will always flame you. There will always be trash-talk and drama. You can't escape that unless you play with friends only. My advice is to learn the role you want to play -- go on YouTube or find some fansites, folk usually break down every role and tactic for you to learn. Learn as much as you can so that if you do play online then you will know that regardless of win or loss, you did your job.

Best this to do is to mute people once/if flaming starts and continue doing what your doing. That would be my advice, eventually you will get over the flames and they will fall on deaf ears.

No one, besides really huge dicks(which are actually pretty rare) would flame you if you just tell them that you are new to the game at the start of the match.

Ask them for advice, try to not die needlessly and no one will go out of their way to flame you.

And if they do, just grow a thicker skin and ignore them and if you feel they were in the right and you didn't play very well - just try harder next time.

Deleted
    No amount of mastery of the game prevents people from flaming you, I've seen previous season top 50 grand masters get flamed in QM, all the way up to masters.

Just ignore toxic people.
    They would spew bullshit even if you are one of the best players in the entire world.
    If you don't believe me, just watch top players streams, they run into toxic players as well.

When I installed HotS, the default option was to have team chat disabled. That really helped with flaming and enjoying the game. The pings were more than enough to talk about tactics.

"Mommy someone flamed me over the internet i need a safespace."

Comeon Mate youre not anita sarkeesien, its a game. If you get flamed there are 2 options: 1. Deal with it 2. Drink bleach.
    I´m Gaming since 2000, got literally insultet like a million times.
    Funny thing is I´m a sponsert player and make a lot of cash out of gaming and still get called noob, mostly from dudes who make like 10% of my score

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Do your best in a game with others
    2. If someone flames you for doing your best (Even if you fucked up), the hell you care. Mute and carry on ->
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    No amount of mastery of the game prevents people from flaming you, I've seen previous season top 50 grand masters get flamed in QM, all the way up to masters.
    Yup, and it's usually the people with the least skill and knowledge of the game that expect to get carried by the others that flame. I rarely see flamers topping meters and generally trying their hardest to win.

The only thing you need to do is ignore the flamers. You won't always be the best part of your team, you CAN have a bad game, everyone does. The others may not be happy about it, you probably won't be happy about it yourself, but you'll all forget it very soon. So just don't worry and do your thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Archipelagos View Post
    The unfortunate truth of playing competitive online games like HOTS is that regardless of how well you play, some folk will always flame you. [...]
    Also, you may be put up against players that are way more experienced than you. You don't always lose because you're "bad", sometimes it's just bad luck.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, I wouldn't take Quick Match seriously. It is not a good example of what this game is about. I think there are 3 general rules to follow.

1. Make sure you have Tank, Support and Ranged damage dealer in your team:
    This trio forms a core of any team. Tank is there to set up kills, Support to save allies and Ranged to create a pressure on enemy team. On the other two slots you put a second melee Hero, usually a strong solo laner if important for a map. Last one is completely free, can be a either a third melee, second ranged damage dealer, second support or something unique to counter enemy team composition OR compliment your composition.

2. Try to soak experience:
    Experience is very important in this game, ideally you want at least 1 player in each lane. Especially before level 10. On some maps it is possible to have solo laner on one lane and 4-man to rotate between other two. Experience can dictate how the game will develop. This is extremely important if you are behind in experience!

3. Don't fight when you are behind in talent tier AND look for fights if you have the advantage and there is nothing better to do:
    This is the biggest mistake people do in HotS, they are behind and see objective spawn. Instead of giving it up, soaking experience and be ready to defend, they just rush to their deaths to sink into disadvantage even deeper. However if you are that behind and need to fight to prevent a loss, you take that desperate fight of course.

If you win a fight, kill two or more and their respawn is 20+ seconds, you either take boss or siege their base unless you can finish the game by destroying their core. Sometimes it is possible to take boss even if they are all alive, but only in level 9 vs 10 scenario.

If you are on even talents, you try to trade objectives or bosses if possible.

EDIT: If you follow this, nobody should flame you really. If you make mistakes in fights, just apology, you improve your micro management only by playing and we are all humans.

Deleted
    Step 1: Disable all chat
    Step 2: Stop being a pussy. It's a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Also, you may be put up against players that are way more experienced than you. You don't always lose because you're "bad", sometimes it's just bad luck.
    This is very true, especially in QM since there is no draft the enemy team could have a far superior team comp or have heroes that just counter yours. Try your best but you can't win every game, if you have around 50% win rate you're doing fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually start by playing Abathur for a couple games just to warm up and remove the jitters, then I jump around to other characters. Just learn to work with others, try not to stress, coordinate, and accept that you ARE going to lose and some people ARE going to piss on you (even when you've done nothing wrong)...and you'll be alright.

For example, I just played an Abathur game where I pushed 25K exp and we still lost because the enemy team had x3 kills that we did. I can do a lot of things as Abathur, but I can't compensate for a deficiency that severe.

And, if someone really, truly gets to you, you can always report and ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick match is now bugged, but i can't blame you.

At the start of game tell u are newbie and ask for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpio View Post
    At the start of game tell u are newbie and ask for tips.
    That's really the best way to avoid flamers (unless your teammates are total [expletive]wads anyway) as people will be more understanding, and will "encourage" them to give you tips (read: show off their experience by helping you poor newb :P)
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.