Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    dont even need to think about it - bioshock series and fallout new vegas / 3 (no mention of 4 because you want older ones )

ps: i know some people dont see them as "rpgs" but yes, if you follow the definition theyre atleast considered partly rpgs, and i would even go as far to call the full rpgs, because thats what you do, you play the role of a person, and you do rpg stuff like leveling up and selecting perks.

i used to play the demos of threads of fate and legend of dragoon. they were great.

digging through old playstation stuff to find the name of threads of fate has triggered some major nostalgia feels, dammit.

god, it was like the companies actually gave a shit back then.

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 with Addon (Night of the Raven)

Trust me...if you are ok with the graphics of this games (they are ~15 y/o) those two will suprise you.
    Best games i played in my childhood and even now.

Risen is damn fine aswell. Graphics aren't too bad and the music and feeling this games provides is outstanding.
    (Only Risen 1, the rest of the series is garbage)
    "Men, Women and Children. None were spared the masters wrath. Your Death will be no different" - Falric

Deleted
    A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned, but one is missing:

The Atelier Series.

I would recommend to start with the Arland Trilogy, then go on with the Dusk Trilogy. I possible, try to get the Vita Remakes, they are the definitive versions of the game. And playing a RPG on a handheld feels just so much better, especially with the old Vita's OLED Display, it looks beautiful. The PS3 originals are still good games though.

Golden Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I've been in sort of a gaming slump lately and was thinking of older RPGs I enjoy playing that could get me in the groove again. I am leaving Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games off the list because I have played them to death. This (and your contributions) is a short list of games that I have been thinking of jump starting my love of games again.

Any other (old) RPGs you recommend?
    I'll stick to the JRPGs then.

If you haven't played the Tales series, I highly recommend them. They're not as serious as the FF/DQ games, and the story is often very generic - but they make up for it by being genuinely fun to play, and they're great games for two or more players as battles always support multiple players. Tales of Graces F (PS3) is a great starting point, but the latest Tales of Berseria is a pretty good game if you want to run right into a quality one!

My first Tales of game was Tales of Phantasia (SNES), and it blew me away in so many ways. The SNES had several really good jRPGs that are often overlooked. While Chrono Trigger is anything but overlooked (and for good reason), not many have played Secret of Mana, Seiken Denetsu 3, Lufia 2 (skip #1), Star Ocean, "Live a Live" or "Treasure Hunter G". The latter three you may need to go underground for, as they're not actually released in the west, but you can find fan translations every here and there.

I'd add "Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together" (SNES) to that list, but it's got a far superior PSP remake, and I recommend that game to death. Amazing game. If you don't have a PSP, I think there is an emulator out there somewhere.

The Atelier Series is also worth a look, due to their break from the cliched saving the world trope. Most of the time, it's about some main character trying to do something relatively mundane; typically learning alchemy. My main beef with the series is that every Atelier game since the PS3 have been time-based. So if you want a real gem, I would recommend Atelier Iris (PS2); it suffers no time limit and it is genuinely hilarious. Also stay the hell away from Atelier games on Steam/PC; they are atrociously bad ports.

If you want to go far back, Vagrant Story is, one of my all time favourite games - but unfortunately not standing the test of time well. I guarantee you will love the story though, but unfortunately it is not a really fun game to play.

Finally - Disgaea. I've played some 1000 hrs of this game. It has a bunch of successors, all improving the formula. But nobody ever held a candle to this game. It is just the perfect game.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I began playing Amalur with Wild Arms thrown in to break things up. Might toss is Legend of Legaia as I do remember that having an interesting plot and being challenging.

My only complaint with Amalur is the camera. It feels like I'm fighting to reposition the thing to look more outward and not down. Oh, and the wolves.... damn things are programmed to run at you and hit you, then run a distance off. Charge up another run and hit you again. If you are using melee weapons you're screwed because you can never close the distance before the get another attack in and sprint out of reach again @_@

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will definitely look into many of them.

Shining Force I & II
    Secret of Mana ("1 and 3")
    Secret of Evermore (sort of--this game is hard as tits)
    Valkyrie Profile (all time favorite RPG--VP2 was alright)
    Xenogears (one of the greatest)
    Chrono Trigger
    Breath of Fire series (If you play BF2, get the fan translation for the ROM, tbh)

Legend of Dragoon was cool, but I could never get into it.

Every time I start playing Chrono Cross, I move and lose my save file.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disgaea. Put like 400hrs into it on PSP. SO fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Lunar 1 and 2 (Sega CD versions only, Saturn/Playstation remakes left a lot to be desired). The remake of the first game added a neat section to the end, but all other changes made from the original were terrible. The remake of the second game drastically improved the cut scenes but everything else was terrible.

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
    Skies of Arcadia
    Legend of Dragoon
    Shining series (up to a point anyway, the last ones I played were Shining Force 3 and Shining the Holy Ark)

@Redwyrm

Radiant Historia > Nintendo DS
    or
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, 3DS remake

dude I dont know how to express but them feels man. them feels. Play this game. I played the Nintendo DS one and it took me ages to finish all the paths. It is not some dating sim or anything. Trust me. Its an incredible game. I could only say Chrono Trigger, tales of phantasia and this game gave me this much feels and made me actually cry. Combat is different then anything I have seen so far.

The remake will hit the shelves soon on june 29 in japan.

You can also try Super Robot Wars Mugen no Frontier. It has english. again in Nintendo DS. And its sequel Super Robot wars mugen no frontier exceed. Great story awesome artwork, hilarious.

Chrono Trigger
    Seiken Densetsu 3
    Legend of Dragoon
    Persona 3,4
    Eternal Sonata

Xenoblade is more recent (it initially came out in 2010), but I find it enjoyable.

People have put out Super Mario RPG, but you can't forget the Mario & Luigi series or Paper Mario. Stick with either PM: The Thousand Year Door, M&L: Superstar Saga, or Bowser's Inside Story as those are generally seen as the best the two series has to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    My all time Favorit is seiken densetsu series.

However i greatly enjoy(ed) the Might and Magic series. No not the Heros of games and no not Dark Messiah. The classig M&M games defined the RPG Genre for me.
    Quite sad nobody mentions them.

I also liked The black eye shadow of Riva. Sadly it always bugged out on me during the under water part quite late in the game so i never finished it.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2017-05-15 at 01:53 PM.

These are some classic RPGs that I enjoyed start to finish.

SNES

-Breath of Fire series
    -Chrono Trigger
    -Earthbound
    -Lufia 1 and 2 (even though 1 is a little rough around the edges)
    -Mario RPG
    -Secret of Evermore

N64

-Ogre Battle 64
    -Paper Mario

Gamecube

-Paper Mario: TTYD
    -Tales of Symphonia
    Khadgar: "Well Zergy, are you armed?"

*Does a facepalm using [Blackhand's Severed Arm]*

10+ Year Old Account
    Evets, Wizards Lair. Both old classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    @Redwyrm

Radiant Historia > Nintendo DS
    or
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, 3DS remake

dude I dont know how to express but them feels man. them feels. Play this game. I played the Nintendo DS one and it took me ages to finish all the paths. It is not some dating sim or anything. Trust me. Its an incredible game. I could only say Chrono Trigger, tales of phantasia and this game gave me this much feels and made me actually cry. Combat is different then anything I have seen so far.

The remake will hit the shelves soon on june 29 in japan.

You can also try Super Robot Wars Mugen no Frontier. It has english. again in Nintendo DS. And its sequel Super Robot wars mugen no frontier exceed. Great story awesome artwork, hilarious.
    I do have Radiant Historia for the DS. The problem I had with the game is that if you put it down for a week or so and try to get back into it, it is very easy to forget where/when you need to go next to progress the plot. But that may be just me.

Can't pass a thread like this without mentioning (like several other cultured souls):

Golden Sun
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Venus Lighthouse...

(Also VtM: Bloodlines is pretty damn good too).

Does Freelancer count as an RPG?

I always always loved the Breath of Fire series more

Super Mario RPG: one of my all time favorite games and the RPG that got me into the genre.