Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    It is perplexing that Superintendent Wilson makes a condemnation of those with a "lack of fact-checking" while providing no facts. His comment about trauma is vague at best, and convenient at worst.
    The trauma is also none of your fucking business, ever thought about that? Just because the Internet gives people like you the ability to comment on each and every tiny detail bullshit of other people's private lives doesn't mean you get a right to demand more information just to attack them for their choices.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I never would have asked that something not be celebrated because I felt sad about it.
    We don't know that the affected kids asked for this. If most of the students in these classes volunteered to skip participating in these holidays at school, then it would be the disgruntled minority, if it even exists, that doesn't fit the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    How can you say people haven't fact checked when your response to people trying to fact check is "we can't tell you the facts"?
    You can do that by observing the privacy rights of the people concerned and not giving a toss about the right of the internet horde for more drama entertainment.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You know you aren't the prototype for every human's reactions to a situation right? You also realize this likely wasn't a student making a request... right?
    Was just giving you some background so you can understand that I was one of those kids who had a terrible family life too. That way you can understand that im not speaking from inexperience.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, but you're basically saying these kids should suffer in silence so that a few other kids can make a mother's day card. That's pretty fucked up.
    And I see the majority not being able to celebrate as messed up.

Which is why I propose a compromise. Re-position it so that you can make a card for your mother, or the person you appreciate the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Id personally rather a win/win than a win/lose or lose/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You can do that by observing the privacy rights of the people concerned and not giving a toss about the right of the internet horde for more drama entertainment.
    All of which could have been addressed if the letter to parents wasn't blowing smoke to result in it going online in the first place. You can still communicate reasons for decisions to those affected without disregarding privacy of those involved.

Which is why I propose a compromise. Re-position it so that you can make a card for your mother, or the person you appreciate the most.
    Making a half-assed attempt to please everyone often pleases no one.

Id personally rather a win/win than a win/lose or lose/win.
    How do you know these kids would consider your proposal to be a win/win? What if most of them disagree with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Making a half-assed attempt to please everyone often pleases no one.

How do you know these kids would consider your proposal to be a win/win? What if most of them disagree with it?
    Worth a shot. A proposal won't hurt anyone.

was it something terrible that happened? People seem to be discussing everything except what the situation here actually is. It sounds like something terrible happened and they nixed the celebrations.

Which would be the equivalent of canceling sports days because someone lost their legs during a sports event

Worth a shot. A proposal won't hurt anyone.
    They're not obligated to accept it.

Am I the only one finding it hilarious that people are hoisting so much intention onto the kids in this situation? The article said it was Grade 1 and Grade 2 teachers who nixed the 'holidays', so the kids are all of 5 to 6 years old. Not sure about y'all, but I don't see kids that age pushing for agendas beyond more games in the classroom, and less nap time.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/school-...cial-1.3407118

WTH is going on with our hat?

Wouldn't it be easier to include more holidays instead of canceling traditional ones?
    All this represents is the further erosion of the family unit. Even "non traditional families" can have parental figures. It's ridiculous the school would take the stance they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    They're not obligated to accept it.
    Yeah. Thats the difference between a proposal, and dictating a rule. You present an idea, rather than forcing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    So someone says she can't handle a room of people making father's day cards, at 30. What does she do in public then? Attempt to avoid every child walking with their fathers?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If the real reason is over a trauma a particular student went through, why not just say that, that they opted not to celebrated it out of respect for someone? You're not naming anyone and you might actually get a positive reaction for that as opposed to what happened.
    Because it would take a veritable Sherlock Holmes to put 2 and 2 together....

Who the fuck celebrates mothers day or fathers day at school anyway. Sounds like this trauma saved the other students from a waste of time and energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Who the fuck celebrates mothers day or fathers day at school anyway. Sounds like this trauma saved the other students from a waste of time and energy.
    I honestly don't remember ever doing anything for either of these days when I was in elementary school.

They're no more real holidays than "secretary's day" or "Earth day". The only reason Mothers and Fathers day has blown up so much is due to the commercialization and corporate cashing in, so cancelling planned events at school shouldn't be a cause for alarm or outrage.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I'm terribly upset by a couple classes not doing anything for Mothers or Fathers Day, especially if it's due to a recent death.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    Some people are deaf, therefore no one should be allowed to talk. No reason to force little kids to be depressed because they can't hear what other people are saying.
    We put deaf students in their own schools/classes were their needs will be met.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-05-15 at 06:33 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Can't say I'm terribly upset by a couple classes not doing anything for Mothers or Fathers Day, especially if it's due to a recent death.

We put deaf students in their own schools/classes were their needs will be met.
    This. The world will keep spinning regardless of whether or not a school celebrates their parents. Meanwhile the president who told him PC culture has gone too far is currently in the white house without any sort of clue on what he should be doing there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Because it would take a veritable Sherlock Holmes to put 2 and 2 together....

I don't recall ever doing so. There was no celebration, we just happened to make/craft things in class in preparation for such holidays. And i may add that this didn't go past primary school

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    This. The world will keep spinning regardless of whether or not a school celebrates their parents. Meanwhile the president who told him PC culture has gone too far is currently in the white house without any sort of clue on what he should be doing there.
    People just want something to get triggered over.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)