Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    That's one hell of entry fee per player!
    That's per team/franchise not per person.

Still very hefty though.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

7+ Year Old Account
    Esports is expected to become much more profitable in the coming years, but that said its games like LoL or Dota2 that will be the first ones to really rake in the cash of it. FPS games are harder to market for esports imo. Matches generally do not last very long, 1 shot mechanics keep things somewhat boring and streams are showing from players perspective. Not saying its impossible but right now I don't see them getting that 20mil

Just look at all the old games, PacMan, Final Fantasy, Mario/Zelda, Halo, Warcraft/Starcraft.
    They are all yesterday's news after 10 to 20 years.

At one point, I thought these franchises will last forever, but they are not.

It is nothing like NFL/NBA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Or damage control?
    Or just fake news which is the most likely candidate.
    Guess shitting on Blizz is the cool thing to do though, so keep at it champ.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Overwatch is a fps for people who are bad at fps games. Why would you push something with such a low skill requirement into a competitive arena?
    How bout we get some hungry hungry hippo world championships? Ffs...
    Hater detected. The meta and strategy for OW is so far above any other shooter. Nice try.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Hater detected. The meta and strategy for OW is so far above any other shooter. Nice try.
    Uhh, I think he's semi-right. I like Overwatch but the vast majority of characters require very little aim while most of the other FPS games I've played (admittedly they are pretty 'old-school') require far more reaction and precision due to the fact that most characters are rather similar and gameplay revolves around accuracy not comp/mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlz View Post
    Uhh, I think he's semi-right. I like Overwatch but the vast majority of characters require very little aim while most of the other FPS games I've played (admittedly they are pretty 'old-school') require far more reaction and precision due to the fact that most characters are rather similar and gameplay revolves around accuracy not comp/mechanics.
    I agree that the mechanical skill isn't as demanding but that doesn't make the game easy.

They should go baby steps, its like they want to be FIFA or something all of a sudden.

7+ Year Old Account
    Granted ive only watched a grand total of 4 OW pro matches (or simply streamed tourneys), but the meta was a very stale "try to get picks while saving for ults, and then we drop all the ults all together". This happened the entire time.
    Also in general i feel like Instagib mechanics dont make for a very interesting esport, since we could be doing really well as a team, but then a single Senjin Teku Waku Daku from Hanzo or Genji (Hanzos Waku Daku for example has a very decepting hitbox).

If you remove instagibs and improve the fuck out of (or at least add) spectator tools, and hopefully do something to freshen up the meta to not be what i described above, then i could see OW being very interesting to watch, though id watch CSGO over it any day.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Or just fake news which is the most likely candidate.
    Guess shitting on Blizz is the cool thing to do though, so keep at it champ.
    I mean, why would TSM pull out of a "great new emerging esport" on the ground floor of franchising which guarentees they will be there forever, and have them cite the reason as the entry price is too high.

I mean, shit though. You're right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofn View Post
    Granted ive only watched a grand total of 4 OW pro matches (or simply streamed tourneys), but the meta was a very stale "try to get picks while saving for ults, and then we drop all the ults all together". This happened the entire time.
    Also in general i feel like Instagib mechanics dont make for a very interesting esport, since we could be doing really well as a team, but then a single Senjin Teku Waku Daku from Hanzo or Genji (Hanzos Waku Daku for example has a very decepting hitbox).

If you remove instagibs and improve the fuck out of (or at least add) spectator tools, and hopefully do something to freshen up the meta to not be what i described above, then i could see OW being very interesting to watch, though id watch CSGO over it any day.
    The meta is in a really good spot right now. There is a mix of dive and deathball style of play. Maybe you watched play from season 2 era? We had a stale meta when Ana could heal through anything and triple tank was popular.

If you're interested in an example of something other than waiting for a pick check out this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTTMpUvlgw

Activision cashing in when they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol 20 mill?! are they fucking serious? Riot takes 1.8mill for LoL and that's the biggest esport game in the world atm, LoL/Dota2/CSGO are far far bigger then OW esport is, OW is not even in the top 5 esports games I think.

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT?! the strategy is far above any other Fps?! lol.... you heard of CSGO? you know the game that is about 10 times bigger than OW esport..... and is the 3rd biggest esport game in the world behind LoL and Dota2...
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Not actually sure what the draw would be from as an e-sport. It really isn't that entertaining to watch. Not to mention the same old meta, balance problems, bugs, repetitive gameplay.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Overwatch has a long way to go before it's anywhere near ready.
    The meta changes all the time, well about every season

Overwatch is a terrible game to watch. It'll never get to a dota/lol level (Which is all they care about) with how the game currently works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    WHAT?! the strategy is far above any other Fps?! lol.... you heard of CSGO? you know the game that is about 10 times bigger than OW esport..... and is the 3rd biggest esport game in the world behind LoL and Dota2...
    Of course I've heard of it but it pales in complexity compared to OW.

Blizzard is stupid and greedy and will run whatever esport they are hosting in to the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Overwatch is a terrible game to watch. It'll never get to a dota/lol level (Which is all they care about) with how the game currently works.
    Maybe you could make this argument if you've never played the game. It's quite easy to spectate if you have spent more than a couple hours actually playing. Spectating gets better with each improvement, this is only the beginning.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Overwatch is a fps for people who are bad at fps games. Why would you push something with such a low skill requirement into a competitive arena?
    How bout we get some hungry hungry hippo world championships? Ffs...
    the exact thing said about LoL when first released compare to Dota.

oh how time repeat itself

Maybe you could make this argument if you've never played the game. It's quite easy to spectate if you have spent more than a couple hours actually playing.
    I've got probably a good 30-40 hours under my belt. The same was fun, amusing, for a while, but then I moved on. My money was well spent and I had fun.

The game is still horrible to spectate. The over-the-top effects, the many cameras shooting back and forth trying to keep up with the fast-paced action, ect.