Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    All we could afford to drink was koolaid. But we had to steal sugar packets from 7 Eleven and water from our neighbors hose.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have slept on straw and in huts with kerosene heat and lights, with no electricity. Gone hungry for more than a couple days and when I did get food, it was a lard sandwich. As a kid, my toy cars I played with in the dirt, was Coke or Pepsi bottles. Worked for months on end each year to help support my family ( I was a child ) as a migrant farm worker. Sounds unbelievable I know , but unlike some of the posts on here in this thread, it is actually true.

My dad was partner at Arthur Anderson one of the big 5 accounting firms, then was CFO for a 9 billion dollar trust. Sorry I was so poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was so poor Ethiopian kids did a fundraiser to help feed me.

Honestly, the worst I have had was having to live for 3 months in a tent once when I was an adult, now I am comfortably middle class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    From 7-14 I lived in motels, my mom's car, a hickory farms and skid row. Poor enough for you?
    Ok now I feel sad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Ok now I feel sad.
    Oh don't worry, couple of those weeks we didn't have a single thing to eat. In fact she ran off with her boyfriend to Wyoming for 3 weeks and leaving me "home" sick with no money or food so i had to bake bread which i promptly ran out of in 2 days. Good times.

My father was 1 of 11 offspring of an english professor. Their "special treat" was when gramps brought 1 doughnut home and cut it into 11 pieces. Their christmas gifts were 1 orange and 1 whatever tool they needed to do their assigned chore (in my dad's case, a mop).

My childhood was awesome though. Not poor at all. Thanks, Dad.

10+ Year Old Account
    buying a new video game was always a big deal so i didnt get to play them until they were being sold for like 10 or 15 bucks

when i was in high school all my clothes came from thrift stores and my sister got to buy clothes from stores and travel for modeling contracts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    If you like the theater, make sure to buy something small every one in a while. They make most of their money of concessions, not ticket price :/
    buy a pizza for 5$ from ceasar's / 2.50 from walmart if its been sitting out for a bit or buy popcorn for 5$

like god damn what does a large drink cost in a theater these days? 3$? You can go to the store and get 6 liters of pop for that much. I can go to a gas station and get a better variety of drinks of the same quality in a 52oz cup for 69 cents... fuck payin 3$ for some piddly ass lil cup of shit

theaters are why i'll never have kids lol i be finna slap the ginger out of one of em

Never experienced being poor really. As the youngest child (13 years younger than the oldest) my family was pretty well set money wise by the time I was born. They were still cheap as hell though, a trait that's been passed on to me.

I do know that before I came into this world though that my family lived off of a bologna for quite a while. As a result, it's become so hated by my parents that the first time I ever ate bologna was when I was an adult, far away from home and in need of some cheap foodstuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Low income, so had to live cheap here and there. Not poor status I'd say, got cool things when they were on sale and went on vacations roughly once a year.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I was so poor that I actually didn't have a sink or rooms. We washed dishes in the bathtub, and lived in a single room with no air conditioning. In Florida.

Rummaging junkyards / landfills for usable items, and i can recall one of the houses we lived in would have ice on the interior walls in the winter from leaks and no real insulation.

Theres plenty more, but we'll leave it at that.

My mom is in an institution for the mentally ill enough said.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2017-05-16 at 05:57 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

I haven't had it nearly as rough as some of those on here, but growing up as a child on a mission field in Africa we were in the interesting place of being significantly better off than the African people around us, but pretty poor by US standards and compared to the NGO/international diplomatic core people. Most of our clothes were hand-me-downs and while we had enough to eat, we certainly didn't have many luxuries. I remember getting hand-me-down Christmas gifts too; I got a beater bike when I was 6 or so and it looked an awful lot like the one that one of the other MKs had upgraded from the year before. =) Wouldn't have traded my childhood for anything, though.

We moved to a trailer in the middle of no where. A double wide. Town was a 15 minute drive at least. That was literally before you saw anything. We were so broke that we had no phones at all. No trash service. No internet. Had free lunch. We always used cloths from a thrift store. We were so poor that when my school did its annual canned food drive, my mom said "we don't have anything to give them. We may even need to get some of that canned food just to eat". Pretty crappy as a kid to hear that and feel powerless.

Think the worst part was the living conditions though. Being poor, you don't really have money to fix anything that gets broken. Went an entire summer without AC one year. Halfway through I started to develop a huge heat rash all over my back and on my arms. They eventually got a single window ac unit. I just remember sitting in my room and falling asleep only due to exhaustion.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Think the worst part was the living conditions though. Being poor, you don't really have money to fix anything that gets broken.
    oh jeeze you just reminded me of this.

This summed up my childhood in a nutshell. Something was always broken or in the process of breaking and we never had the money to actually get it fixed. Before the internet was such a huge source of information all we could really do is sit around with half of our shit in constant disrepair.

7+ Year Old Account
    My house had a bunch of bullet holes, living in a favela wasn't easy.

What's tragicomical is that now that I'm middle class I fell less safe than when I was young and heard gunshots every night. Never got shot/stabbed/mugged when I was a kid, as an adult I almost died a few times.

10+ Year Old Account
    My childhood was a bit schizophrenic in that regard. The peak was living in a borderline mansion on acreage owned by my rich stepfather and the bottom was living on my teenager parttime money + child support for my brothers in a house shared with a drug-addicted mother (not mine) and her less well off family. Our welfare structure here makes it hard to go homeless if you have children at least.

One of our effective cheapo dinners was rice and mince. Could feed an army with that stuff for very little $$$ per person while still actually filling them up.

It was tough, but not desperate, I guess.

My parents made me choose between nintendo and sega. They wouldn't buy me both.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post

One of our effective cheapo dinners was rice and mince. Could feed an army with that stuff for very little $$$ per person while still actually filling them up.
    What is rice and mince? It actually sounds pretty yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?