Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truecalling View Post
    If being the operative word. Would love for AMD to compete with Nvidia, the prices are just horrendous and innovation is distinctly lacking from Nvidia atm. They still make the best cards and charge massive $$$ which is the annoying part.
    Prices are horrendous? Are they though? Lets look back 10 years:

Geforce 1080 TI : $699
    Geforce 1080: $599-$699
    Geforce 980Ti: $649
    Geforce 980: $549
    Geforce 780ti: $699
    Geforce 780: $649
    Geforce 680: $499
    Geforce 580: $499
    Geforce 480: $499
    Geforce 295: $499
    Geforce 280: $650
    Geforce 9800 GX2: $666
    Geforce 8800 Ultra: $830
    Geforce 7900: $599
    Geforce 7800: $499

Average launch price: $613.

So yes, if you utterly discount inflation and that R&D/wafer costs have gone up, then the Geforce 1080ti is above average, (not yet ridiculous prices yet I think).

I don't think you can call Nvidia lacking in innovation though, not when they have the fastest cards, support the highest level DX12 feature list (AMD does not) and win out in performance if you compare both chip size and TDP. Plus there is Volta coming up, which is a major GPU redesign.

All good and well but in 2008 1 euro was around 1.6$ and now 1€ is around 1.1$ which for a 699 USD card is now around 200 € more expensive in europe compared to back then. add 21% VAT or thereabouts depending on the country.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Prices are horrendous? Are they though? Lets look back 10 years:

Geforce 1080 TI : $699
    Geforce 1080: $599-$699
    Geforce 980Ti: $649
    Geforce 980: $549
    Geforce 780ti: $699
    Geforce 780: $649
    Geforce 680: $499
    Geforce 580: $499
    Geforce 480: $499
    Geforce 295: $499
    Geforce 280: $650
    Geforce 9800 GX2: $666
    Geforce 8800 Ultra: $830
    Geforce 7900: $599
    Geforce 7800: $499

Average launch price: $613.

So yes, if you utterly discount inflation and that R&D/wafer costs have gone up, then the Geforce 1080ti is above average, (not yet ridiculous prices yet I think).

I don't think you can call Nvidia lacking in innovation though, not when they have the fastest cards, support the highest level DX12 feature list (AMD does not) and win out in performance if you compare both chip size and TDP. Plus there is Volta coming up, which is a major GPU redesign.
    I guess we lose out a lot from exchange rate etc. (£) and pricing markups/taxes (I wish I could get cards at release as cheap as your suggestion). My point is that competition is a GREAT thing for everyone, it forces companies to innovate much more instead of pumping out re-branded/re-purposed GPUs. Sure, Nvidia are consistently increasing GPU performance, but if they had more competition from AMD we can agree the cards would be better? They would jump into R&D on new chips (perhaps) sooner, and would certainly release new chips sooner. Just look at what AMD are doing to Intel in the CPU market, if they do that to Nvidia in the GPU market it's great for everyone, just less so for their GP/OP margins.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    All good and well but in 2008 1 euro was around 1.6$ and now 1€ is around 1.1$ which for a 699 USD card is now around 200 € more expensive in europe compared to back then. add 21% VAT or thereabouts depending on the country.
    That has nothing to do with companies and their pricing though.

I do miss the times when you could get a top of the line GPU for under $250. Sadly I doubt we will ever get another 4870.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    That's hardly Nvidia's fault though, trust me my countries currency has devalued by half vs the dollar in the past 7 years, so GPU prices have shot up immensely, I can't fault Nvidia or AMD for that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Truecalling View Post
    I guess we lose out a lot from exchange rate etc. (£) and pricing markups/taxes (I wish I could get cards at release as cheap as your suggestion). My point is that competition is a GREAT thing for everyone, it forces companies to innovate much more instead of pumping out re-branded/re-purposed GPUs. Sure, Nvidia are consistently increasing GPU performance, but if they had more competition from AMD we can agree the cards would be better? They would jump into R&D on new chips (perhaps) sooner, and would certainly release new chips sooner. Just look at what AMD are doing to Intel in the CPU market, if they do that to Nvidia in the GPU market it's great for everyone, just less so for their GP/OP margins.
    I fully agree that competition is good, I don't hate AMD or anything and have bought both GPU/CPU products from them in the past and will in the future, if I was upgrading my CPU this year I would definitely go for Zen over anything Intel has at the moment.

I would also dearly love to buy a AMD GPU as I currently have a Freesync monitor, but unfortunately I upgraded to a 1080 almost a year ago and any hype Vega might have had has been crushed by Volta, I'm hoping Navi might be competitive but considering AMD's track record recently... I'm not optimistic on that front.

I defend Nvidia on these forums mostly when I see false claims thrown about by other posters. Like how Nvidia isn't fully DX12 compatible or other such nonsense. I'll freely call them out on bullshit though, like gsync prices or false claims about async and Maxwell.

I would also dearly love to buy a AMD GPU as I currently have a Freesync monitor, but unfortunately I upgraded to a 1080 almost a year ago and any hype Vega might have had has been crushed by Volta, I'm hoping Navi might be competitive but considering AMD's track record recently... I'm not optimistic on that front.
    Then again, outside of Titan having Volta core, I doubt we will see any real consumer cards(2070,2080 etc) before Q2 2018, unless Vega is lots faster than 1080ti(which it probably is not).

even Navi will have to be facing post-Volta arch

the absolute latest when post-Volta would be presented for the first time would be GTC 2019, same as Pascal was @ GTC 2016 and Volta @ GTC 2017 (and Navi is also 2019 product .. assuming no delays) .. probably even earlier then that (though GTC 2018 is probably too early)

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think we will need to wait till Q2, Q1 2018 for gaming Volta seems doable for Nvidia, especially for Volta cards that wont be using GDDR6

doenst really matter, the Volta hype train is already picking up steam even before any GeForce announcements, GV100 alone was enough to deflate Vega hype a bit

15+ Year Old Account
    I defend Nvidia on these forums mostly when I see false claims thrown about by other posters. Like how Nvidia isn't fully DX12 compatible or other such nonsense. I'll freely call them out on bullshit though, like gsync prices or false claims about async and Maxwell.
    Pray tell, please tell me the specifics of how that was stated with DX12 compatibility, G-Synch prices or exactly what async compute and Maxwell works like.
    Because I have a feeling my alarm is going to go off blaringly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Then again, outside of Titan having Volta core, I doubt we will see any real consumer cards(2070,2080 etc) before Q2 2018, unless Vega is lots faster than 1080ti(which it probably is not).
    780->980 1.5 years
    980-> 1080 1.5 years

I think it's likely we can see normal 80 Volta series by Q1 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Pray tell, please tell me the specifics of how that was stated with DX12 compatibility, G-Synch prices or exactly what async compute and Maxwell works like.
    Because I have a feeling my alarm is going to go off blaringly.
    Ah, I see my statement is ambiguously worded, I meant call Nvidia out on the bullshit, Maxwell doesn't support Async (well it does, but it's a performance regression, hence disabled in drivers), Gsync is overpriced, and the 970 3.5Gb was a debacle (not the card, just the false advertising about it). Oh, the Titan line is stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I see my statement is ambiguously worded, I meant call Nvidia out on the bullshit, Maxwell doesn't support Async (well it does, but it's a performance regression, hence disabled in drivers), Gsync is overpriced, and the 970 3.5Gb was a debacle (not the card, just the false advertising about it). Oh, the Titan line is stupid.
    Carry on then, call out AMD's bullshit as well of course.

Note though as the first part of the statement was very likely aimed at me so I'll reply with the following:
    I never said they weren't compatible with DX12's low level API abilities, I stated that they do not have full hardware support for some functions and thus "emulate" the rest in software where-as AMD does not and is handled by it's architecture fully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Carry on then, call out AMD's bullshit as well of course.
    AMD surprisingly has little in recent memory, they just need to compete in the high end. I'm hoping the top end Vega is not another Fury X situation.

the "Poor Volta(ge)" in their Vega marketing ad was pretty bs if you ask me

though AMDs PR and PR videos have always been super cringe

- - - Updated - - -

there is no way anything 7nm is ready for mass volume in high-end desktop in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

there is no way anything 7nm is ready for mass volume in high-end desktop in 2018
    Based on? Seriously why?

High-end is exactly where it's going to land first, considering they are starting trial production in 2h 2017 and risk production early 2018. Mass production may be a way off, but by the end of 2018, I don't really see why they wouldn't have it ready by then.

It will ofc take time for 7nm to mature, but AMD has their current highend 14nm to throw as low end to mid while selling 7nm as high end.

based on 7nm not being ready for mass production (especially on bigger die lower yield components) in 2018

plus it will suffer delays as usual

Q1/H1 2019, no earlier they are waay too optimistic about 2018

same goes for Nvidia & TSMC

10+ Year Old Account
    GloFo has IBM's 7nm technology. IBM already made 7nm functional silicon two years ago. Question really is getting it to mass production, that is something that none of us know about.

Plus, high end, low yield why not.

this is not the gaming version

- - - Updated - - -

AMD themselves confirm WCCF as credible source ^^

- - - Updated - - -

http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

says ~90 Gpixel

with 64 ROPs thats ~1400 Mhz clock, unless my math is wrong

however thats for the non-gaming version, RX Vega might be ~50-100 mhz higher ? or more ?

15+ Year Old Account
    How much does Vega cost?

On a related topic: wasn't 10-12 nm architecture considered "too hard" for quite some time hence the slowdown of progress in processor speed in recent years?

And now they are shipping out 7nm products next year? Woot?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    O.o according to pro.radeon.com that vega card is wooping titans xp ass in some productivity workloads. Would be nice if this translated into gaming.
    Also there was vega card clocked at 1.6Ghz spotted in some benchmark db. And we all know wccftech is gospel /wink /wink /

O.o according to pro.radeon.com that vega card is wooping titans xp ass in some productivity workloads.
    those geniuses are comparing a professional card (Vega Frontier) to a gaming card (Titan Xp is literally just a 1080Ti with 256 more cores and +1GB VRAM .. its GP102, not the professional GP100 .. it also uses GeForce drivers, not Quadro drivers)

Would be nice if this translated into gaming.
    it wont

Vega seems to be aimed at professional market and compute-oriented, with gaming & graphics coming in second

- - - Updated - - -

would you look that at that high-end margin & profits hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Late June? No consumer versions hinted at? Really AMD? Wait for Vega indeed.

Directly from AMD's website:

But because this graphics card is optimized for professional use cases (and priced accordingly), if gaming is your primary reason for buying a GPU, I’d suggest waiting just a little while longer for the lower-priced, gaming-optimized Radeon RX Vega graphics card. You’ll be glad you did.
    Damn, I won't be surprised about that stock of only 16000 rumor was due to the cards being these professional ones.

Man, if that watercooled 1600Mhz 16GB monster was priced competitively with the 1080 Ti they really can take the fight to Nvidia for a while. :<
    Last edited by Zenny; 2017-05-17 at 07:17 AM.