Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Growing up somewhat poor I actually got reduced lunches in Cafeteria without realizing it. What I did notice is none of the kids at my school would clear their table of the trays and garbage and we had some old guy as a janitor. I went ahead and helped clear the tables because I thought it was BS. After seeing me do this for a couple weeks they agreed to give me free lunches.

Now I'm not saying we should force kids to work, but if all kids help clean the classroom, gyms, etc as a way to help pay for lunches seems reasonable.
    As an extra reward, sure. Not a fan of having kids work to eat though.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    I once again bring attention to the 49th in school funding portion of my text. I think its less of a "We need more money" thing, and more of a "We need to spend our money a more efficiently" thing.
    It's a both thing. For one, the ridiculous obsession with school athletics needs to die entirely.

For another, school funding needs a massive hike. College needs to be tax funded too, entirely. Investing in the education of the next generations pays off tremendously, always.

Maybe take like half of that completly overbloated millitary budget and invest it in education instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Why ask for donations when you already have them "donating" via taxes ?

This would do a lot to end child hunger to simply pro-bono a meal a day. Many schools continue the school lunch program throughout vacations purely for this reason.

and really... throwing away food rather than feed it to hungry students ?

Would have to be at the school itself. As desipicable as that sounds, junkie parents will often sell freebies given to their kids for more drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    I once again bring attention to the 49th in school funding portion of my text. I think its less of a "We need more money" thing, and more of a "We need to spend our money a more efficiently" thing.
    Those sports stadiums aren't going to build themselves you know. We have to get those strapping young lads out of classrooms and into sports! For some students that's the only way they'll get blown by a girl while in high school.

Really though, sports should be an afterthought. There is tons of wasted money in high school athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Didn’t we already have this thread some months ago started by the same person?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/15/news...-story-summary

This is despicable. Very disappointed that this wasn't a major issue in the recent elections.
    Isn't this an important life lesson, namely that you can't walk into a store with no money and expect them to give you goods and services for free? Seems like its a good idea to teach it to children while there are still few consequences, instead of learning it later on when the response of the restaurant owner might be to call the cops on you.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

They should be thankfull to get the free cold cheese sandwich.

Well I don't agree with the shaming, I am also not sure its the schools responsibility to feed our kids? I had to bring a lunch when I was in school, although my highschool did have a cafeteria where you could buy things it was payed for in cash like any other restaurant. If you didn't have cash you just didn't go buy lunch.

I don't see how funding the schools to pay for lunch is much better then welfare for families who can't afford the lunch. Mind you, with welfare there is no guarantee they spend that money on food I guess.

What's up with all that "shaming" in the US? Is that a way for the average citizen to feel superior to others?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergar View Post
    Because they didn't pay for the real food and cafeterias are required to feed them a minimal lunch for free. I mean, if you just want free lunches for everyone say so, it's a defensible position. But currently US school cafeterias require you to pay for a hot lunch.
    Dont you realize the absurdity of throwing away a perfectly good meal, just to hand them a bagged lunch? I dont see the cost difference to the school between throwing it away vs allowing the student to eat it.

In the day in age in which people pay up to 18k or more in property taxes with most of it going to the school districts HOW, HOW, are breakfast and lunch not "free" for all students? HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    don't have kids if you cant afford to take care of them
    So it's okay to punish those kids for the mistakes of their parents, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What happened to the free school lunch program for poor kids? I had that growing up I never paid for my lunch in public schools
    Phased out by the conservative brand of capitalism of course.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Not even mistakes of the parents. He's literally blaming children in situations where a parent loses their job, a parent dies or becomes injured in a home where two incomes are required. All to save a few cents on his taxes -- It's beyond disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Dont you realize the absurdity of throwing away a perfectly good meal
    Any unclaimed food needs to be destroyed due to sanitary reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Dont you realize the absurdity of throwing away a perfectly good meal, just to hand them a bagged lunch? I dont see the cost difference to the school between throwing it away vs allowing the student to eat it.

In the day in age in which people pay up to 18k or more in property taxes with most of it going to the school districts HOW, HOW, are breakfast and lunch not "free" for all students? HOW?
    Because if paying for a hot lunch is voluntary then only fools will volunteer to do it. School districts themselves would have to make up the cost. If you think schools should give free breakfast and lunch, that's absolutely fine. But then we have to actually fund those free lunches on a state or national level, and not expect school districts to pay for it out of their comparatively meager pockets.

How many teachers are you willing to lay off to avoid the "absurdity" of expecting people to pay for a paid service?

I think you can still make that point and still have programs to take care of the kids. Having kids as a single parent is, in some(most?) cases, a ticket to poverty.

Phased out by the conservative brand of capitalism of course.
    Its easy to attack conservatives. Or you could be honest with yourself and say, all that money was used to fluff up school admin salaries, and other school programs not linked to the actual feeding or education of the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Any unclaimed food needs to be destroyed due to sanitary reasons.
    Instead of just giving it to someone who needs it.

- - - Updated - - -

Because if paying for a hot lunch is voluntary then only fools will volunteer to do it. School districts themselves would have to make up the cost. If you think schools should give free breakfast and lunch, that's absolutely fine. But then we have to actually fund those free lunches on a state or national level, and not expect school districts to pay for it out of their comparatively meager pockets.

How many teachers are you willing to lay off to avoid the "absurdity" of expecting people to pay for a paid service?
    Donations are voluntary, but apparently plenty enough donate.

Looks like there are a lot of fools in this world by your standards.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Because if paying for a hot lunch is voluntary then only fools will volunteer to do it.
    Exactly, it forces the school to come up with a valid system that doesnt fuck the student and might actually, I dont know, solve the problem

School districts themselves would have to make up the cost. If you think schools should give free breakfast and lunch, that's absolutely fine. But then we have to actually fund those free lunches on a state or national level, and not expect school districts to pay for it out of their comparatively meager pockets.

We could cut some sports programs, and other services not linked directly to education for starters.

Donations are voluntary, but apparently plenty enough donate.

Looks like there are a lot of fools in this world by your standards.
    I guarantee you that setting it up so that you pay for everyone's children's hot lunches once through your taxes and are given the opportunity to pay for your child's meals again through a "donation" would result in the government taking up the vast majority of the costs.

I guarantee you that setting it up so that you pay for everyone's children's hot lunches once through your taxes and are given the opportunity to pay for your child's meals again through a "donation" would result in the government taking up the vast majority of the costs.
    We dont need to set it up, the money is already there. They need to prioritize their spending.

Deleted
    Take it up with the parents, not the kids.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    When I was a kid there were days I forgot to bring my lunch money and they allowed me to pay back the next day.