Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    World of Warcraft

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Liberal?

/10chargods
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    The Complete Collection of Inuyasha on DVD.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    posting 4700 times on a message board in over 6 years
    Daaaaym...
    You must gain control over your gold or the lack of it will forever control you.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Even if you die, life still exists.

How can life die?

It can't.

So death is the wrong answer.
    The issue here is we're using "life" in a very arbitrary fashion. Life can refer to an individual or an entire species/group. You're using it to define a group, I'm using it as it refers to an individual.

On an individual level, life and death are opposites. When I die my life no longer exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillGates View Post
    Daaaaym...

is that a lot? I've been banned for half that time though

10+ Year Old Account
    The question is invalid.

You can't make any reasonable assertions about the "opposite" of a thing without a frame of reference. For basic concepts like directional terms the context is often obvious and implied (e.g. opposite of "up" is "down", opposite of "east" is "west"), but with something like "life" there is no obvious frame of reference.

I mean, what's the opposite of "phone?" What's the opposite of "duck?" What's the opposite of "meaningless existence?"

Deleted
    Choice.

Larping.

or

efil

Deleted
    Silence brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I mean the life of a star is a different definition of "life". Although I suppose what I said still applies. Existing means whatever thing you're referring to is there. Life and death are more specific states of existence. Life means the thing is there and it exhibits certain traits. Death means the thing is there and it does not exhibit the same traits.
    Interesting point. It does however rely how one defines life. When does life end and is something death. (EG the mind/brain is dead, the body not). That's kinda why I said alive is the opposite of death.

I suppose. I guess it doesn't really hurt to ask.
    See my edit (And in fairness, the OP never stated the answer death is wrong)

There was no egg from which the first chicken came. This is what the available evidence tells us anyways. See http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicken-...entific-proof/
    I remember reading that, or something similar way back, might have been older then that article. It doesn't really answer the question, as you say;

Although I suppose that raises another question which we'll be pondering for thousands of years to come. If the chicken came first and there was no egg from which the first chicken came from, then where did the first chicken come from?
    If a chicken is born from a chicken egg, and (only) a chicken lays (I think that's how it is spelled?) those eggs, what was it that laid the first egg that made a chicken (and now bring in daddy and mommy bird, are both chickens or only one, or none?). Evolution of the species does not handle in absolutes, or "species", that's just human tendency to put a label on stuff..

(And the found protein may just be an trait chickens gained while they were already chickens, it does not, depending on who you ask, warrant a new species)
    Last edited by Amorac; 2017-05-16 at 08:27 PM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Interesting point. It does however rely how one defines life. When does life end and is something death. (EG the mind/brain is dead, the body not). That's kinda why I said alive is the opposite of death.
    I suppose the argument comes down to nuanced definitions and gray areas. Although I would still consider being brain dead to fall under the definition of life. A state of death begins when a being can no longer sustain itself and it begins to break down. In the case of someone being brain dead they're still alive until their heart stops and their immune system stops fighting off microorganisms allowing their body to begin to decay.

If a chicken is born from a chicken egg, and (only) a chicken lays (I think that's how it is spelled?) those eggs, what was it that laid the first egg that made a chicken (and now bring in daddy and mommy bird, are both chickens or only one, or none?). Evolution of the species does not handle in absolutes, or "species", that's just human tendency to put a label on stuff..
    Sure, but at some point in time a chicken was a chicken. At some point the very first chicken existed which was genetically identical to the chickens we get from a KFC bucket.

Deleted
    we dont know.
    Death is the process, what happens is a mystery.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Anti-life. There's an equation for it and everything.
    A fictional equation from a comic book...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    posting 4700 times on a message board in over 6 years
    4760 is afterlife then?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    Undeath.

/10
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-05-16 at 09:05 PM.

I suppose the argument comes down to nuanced definitions and gray areas. Although I would still consider being brain dead to fall under the definition of life. A state of death begins when a being can no longer sustain itself and it begins to break down. In the case of someone being brain dead they're still alive until their heart stops and their immune system stops fighting off microorganisms allowing their body to begin to decay.
    A bit "narrow" (not really the word I'm looking for, but meh, its bedtime..) for my liking but fair enough. Thanks for the chat

Sure, but at some point in time a chicken was a chicken. At some point the very first chicken existed which was genetically identical to the chickens we get from a KFC bucket.
    Well, we recognize subspecies as well and put everything in families/orders/kingdoms/whatever to try to make that distinction. Just difficult to say when a species fits the bill.. Would be easier if evolution happened in a few years.

Heh.. Another silly question one could ask the same about colors. When is red no longer red.

Again, thanks for the chat again. Hope the day is good where you are.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    A bit "narrow" (not really the word I'm looking for, but meh, its bedtime..) for my liking but fair enough. Thanks for the chat

Well, we recognize subspecies as well and put everything in families/orders/kingdoms/whatever to try to make that distinction. Just difficult to say when a species fits the bill.. Would be easier if evolution happened in a few years.

Heh.. Another silly question one could ask the same about colors. When is red no longer red.

when it becomes pink.

Sure, there are subspecies to consider. But I'd call a chicken a chicken if it can sexually reproduce with a hen.

But I understand the dilemma.

As for when red is no longer red, that may be hard to determine using the naked eye, but you could create more rigid definitions with a computer.

Anyways, good chat. It actually is quite a nice day here. I wish you the same.