Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Added Going in Style. A relatively fun comedy with a good cast (Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman for example) Finally managed to push away that pesky Sandy Wexler

Updated my list. Added Lego Batman (9/10, great), Kimi no na Wa (your name.) (8/10 very good), and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (5/10, average).

I'd say Kimi no na Wa is technically a 2016 movie, but eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I'd say Kimi no na Wa is technically a 2016 movie, but eh.
    It didn't even show in the United States until last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    It didn't even show in the United States until last month.
    Maybe not widely, but they actually had a few screenings in December to make it qualify for awards from 2016.

Maybe not widely, but they actually had a few screenings in December to make it qualify for awards from 2016.
    For a handful of people who were invited and lived in LA and Hollywood, yeah.

To me, the year a movie comes is the year it can actually be seen by global audiences, which in this case is weird because it's been over half a year since the film came out in Japan, just came out here last month, and still hasn't been screened in many parts of Europe and Asia.

So what you're saying is that we should go to a private movie screening for a famous movie before it hits the public theaters? Which one?

To me, the year a movie comes is the year it can actually be seen by global audiences, which in this case is weird because it's been over half a year since the film came out in Japan, just came out here last month, and still hasn't been screened in many parts of Europe and Asia.
    It actually was a public screening. I understand that release dates aren't the same everywhere (I live in Denmark and deal with this every year where January-March is filled with award-movies that were released late the year before in the US), which is why following the Oscar way of counting it is a good solution for creating a standard, which requires that a movie be screened for at least a week in a public theater in at least LA (and maybe New York too) in that calendar year.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually was a public screening. I understand that release dates aren't the same everywhere (I live in Denmark and deal with this every year where January-March is filled with award-movies that were released late the year before in the US), which is why following the Oscar way of counting it is a good solution for creating a standard, which requires that a movie be screened for at least a week in a public theater in at least LA (and maybe New York too) in that calendar year.
    Didn't we discuss this in the 2015 thread as well? I think it was about kingsman at the time as it had some screenings in 2014, but wasn't globally released till somewhere in 2015.

In other news, I just watched The Lost City of Z. I liked the movie. It was maybe a bit too long, but for now it's on the top of my 2017 list (movie technically released in 2016, but again just on one screening. It was globally released till in 2017)

These are in no order:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    Kong: Skull Island
    John Wick 2
    Fate of the Furious
    Logan
    King Arthur
    Ghost in the Shell
    Life
    Trainspotting 2
    Lego Batman

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    Didn't we discuss this in the 2015 thread as well? I think it was about kingsman at the time as it had some screenings in 2014, but wasn't globally released till somewhere in 2015.
    It is two different cases though. Kingsman is a 2015 movie because this is the only 2014 screening:
    13 December 2014 (Butt-Numb-A-Thon Film Festival)
    While this is the screenings for Kimi no na wa / Your Name in the US in 2016:
    USA 3 July 2016 (Anime Expo)
    USA 13 November 2016 (Hawaii Film Festival)
    USA 2 December 2016 (Los Angeles, California)
    The first two are similar to the Kingsman case, it's just a convention or festival screening for select people. However, the last one is a public release, and while it is only in one city, it is exactly the city needed to make it a 2016 movie in the eyes of the Oscars.

One could argue that what counts for the Oscars shouldn't be the rule when so many haven't been able to see it (legally) before recently, or possibly not even yet, but then we run into a problem where all the (generally Asian) countries which DID get a wide release in 2016 wouldn't be on the same page as the rest of us in this case.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-05-30 at 09:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Beauty and the Beast. Not a huge fan of musical films. I also found it fairly boring, but that's just my opinion. Still better than what I had in the bottom of my list...... It however looked good and I thought the acting was okay. I give it a 6.5/10

- - - Updated - - -

Also added A Dog's purpose.

Added Get Out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Alien: Covenant

Updated to add Alien Covenant
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Added The Zookeeper's Wife, which is now sitting at the top of the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Added Logan and Unlocked. Unlocked was decent and Logan was really good, first movie to score over an 8 this year.

Added John Wick: Chapter 2.

Now I've seen 10 movies this year, time to be picky.

Added BLAME! - 6/10 (Fine)

Added Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at number 4. Kinda underwhelming, but still tops Resident Evil and Underworld.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Pirates: Dead Men Tell no Tales (Salazar's Revenge)