Thread: GTX 1080 ti

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GTX 1080 ti

I was planning on getting one of these cards but I read that it runs rather hot? Anyone that has one and can say what kind of experience you have with the temp on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Get non-reference models and they are all cool and nice.

All good non-reference ones with dual/triple fan run good temps, for example I have ASUS 1080Ti Strix and the worst it gets is 70 degrees which is just fine and all the other similar products from other companies do about the same.

Best idea is to see what you want to spends, which models are available and then hit reviews before purchase - you will have all details there.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had mine overclocked and overvolted and yeah it ran hot, but give it enough airflow and let the fan spin and the temperature barely hit 70 Celsius. Granted this made it noisy.

But yeah, go for a third party one and this issue magically disappears.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    They are great cards though expensive at the moment. Anyway - we have two in the house. 1x Reference from Nvidia and 1x Asus Strix OC. Reference runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than the Strix. If money allows try to go for a non reference, they are generally cheaper and quieter.

Deleted
    My Gigabyte Auros hasn't gone above 60 degrees celcius at 30% fan load in raids at gfx preset 7, with a few settings manually set higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    My Gigabyte Auros hasn't gone above 60 degrees celcius at 30% fan load in raids at gfx preset 7, with a few settings manually set higher.
    WoW can't even put a 970 to 50% usage unless you start using render and MSAA

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    WoW can't even put a 970 to 50% usage unless you start using render and MSAA
    at what 720p ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    at what 720p ?
    There's nothing in the game graphically demanding except render resolution and AA, it's all bound to the CPU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    at what 720p ?
    Lulz? 1080Ti is barely at 50% usage at 1440p with 180% DSR. WoW is so much bottlenecked by CPU that GPU simply does not matter there.

In WoW you won't see any more than 60 degrees, simply because GPU is not used.

Here is a fun fact - my 1080Ti barely got any FPS lead over my 290X I had before in WoW, while in all other games it's frikkin' 2X FPS easy.

So far the highest I've seen was 66 and that's in GTA V after 2 hours of non-stop play.
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

I just bought a reference version and stuck the evga AIO cooler. I think the highest temp I ever had afterwards was like...55 Celsius?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Lulz? 1080Ti is barely at 50% usage at 1440p with 180% DSR. WoW is so much bottlenecked by CPU that GPU simply does not matter there.

In WoW you won't see any more than 60 degrees, simply because GPU is not used.

Here is a fun fact - my 1080Ti barely got any FPS lead over my 290X I had before in WoW, while in all other games it's frikkin' 2X FPS easy.
    It's the same for me. Warframe @ 1440p - Before 1080ti: 60fps | After 1080ti: 260fps. But WoW? Yeah... WoW hasn't changed much other than letting me pull some of the settings higher up and it STILL has trouble getting a consistent 60fps. Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I was planning on getting one of these cards but I read that it runs rather hot? Anyone that has one and can say what kind of experience you have with the temp on it?
    It isn't that they run "hot", they're actually quite modest in their power consumption/heat generation (for a top end GPU at least), the issue is mainly that the cooler nVidia has used for the last few generations, simply isn't fully up to the task.

Most GPUs these days are primarily thermally limited, essentially that their performance limit is defined by their ability to not overheat. The "boost clocks" (really automatic overclocking) mean they will ramp up and stay at that performance level until the thermal limits are hit, at which point they ramp down.

The "founder's edition" coolers are adequate for the base clocks, but can't sustain the boost clocks for long periods of time. Which is why they're not generally heavily overclocked.

Given the minimal price increase in most cases, there's really no reason NOT to get a card with a custom cooler. Almost all of them have no problem cooling the cards even with substantially higher overclocks. The main reasons to pick one card over another are basically noise, looks and the overclock. There is also some differentiation on the ports, some have DVI connectors not on the reference cards. Others have additional HDMI ports (useful for VR headsets).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JManzTech View Post
    They are great cards though expensive at the moment. Anyway - we have two in the house. 1x Reference from Nvidia and 1x Asus Strix OC. Reference runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than the Strix. If money allows try to go for a non reference, they are generally cheaper and quieter.
    A non reference 1080 Ti is not cheaper than a reference. :P

It is, however, cooler and quieter.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you mean by hot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    It depends on what you mean by hot
    The reference cards will gladly push up past 80 Celsius, way too close to 90 for comfort, at full load.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The reference cards will gladly push up past 80 Celsius, way too close to 90 for comfort, at full load.
    Only if you dont undo nVidia's weirdly constrained fan profile. You can get them down to low 70s no problem, but itll be loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Only if you dont undo nVidia's weirdly constrained fan profile. You can get them down to low 70s no problem, but itll be loud.
    Yes, indeed. I simply meant it like, without any tweaking, just throwing the card in and doing nothing, as some people do that...
    "A flower.

1080Ti Asus Strix

1080Ti MSI Gaming X

1080Ti Gigabyte Aorus

are all great aftermarket Tis

Quote Originally Posted by izmirko View Post
    why not to choose radeon?
    If they want a cheaper, low to mid tier card that gets its ass handed to it by the GTX 1080ti.....then sure, they could consider a Radeon. But if they can afford and are willing to shell out the money for a GTX 1080ti, then there is literally ZERO choices and ZERO reason to even consider anything from AMD at this point.