Poll: Do you think Vol'jin is truly dead?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I tell you he dead

He was set on fire in a funeral pyre.. It's done.. get over it. Whether I like the fact Blizzard killed a character that didn't even have a real shot at Warchief is regardless to the fact he is dead.

Quote from Gara'jal the spiritbinder back in mogu'shan vaults:
    " Bah! Bested by de likes of you! What a shame for a Zandalari Priest ta endure.
    But it ain't no ting. Take your trinkets; you'll be needin' dem.
    A portal to the Spirit World opens behind Gara'jal's spirit.
    I be goin' now; time ta find a new home for me soul.
    Death be a doorway, an' time a window; I'll be back! AH-HAHAHAHAHAH! "

He later appeared in Throne of Thunder to empower the bosses there. Conclusion, death means little to the trolls, considering Vol'jin's link with the Loa and stuff like that, he will come back one way or another. Death shouldn't be stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Why do game mechanics need to explained with lore? I pull a giant flying mount out of my ass by rubbing my hands together. Game logic doesn't work into lore like that. Our deaths are treated as setbacks that send us into the spirit world, that's pretty much all there is to it.
    Hmm...because in this case I think there actually is a lore explanation(or at least a retcon) to explain why the player characters get a free pass back to the living world. Also because it's often better for immersion if things more or less make sense. Although I admit WoW is REALLY bad in this regard. Being able to summon a mount from thin air isn't actually all that weird for Azeroth, considering the sheer amount of magic constantly being thrown around(although why those mounts forget how to fly every couple years is still unexplained. Summoning sickness maybe?)

Anyway.....

According to the wiki, apparently as long as a person's body is still intact, spells such as Resurrection will work to reunite the spirit with the body. Spirit Healers appear to serve the same purpose. In the case of Varian, obviously there was no body to reunite with. Vol'Jin may have been unable to have a rez spell work on him due to whatever demon corruption prevented his wounds from healing. Also because his body has been turned to ashed via funeral pyre, it's unlikely that he can now be rezzed.

Player characters apparently get a pass when their spirit leaves their body and goes to the Void/Spirit Plane/Shadowlands/whatever. That's where the game mechanics kick in instead of lore, since it doesn't appear to matter what happened to the PC body, and they can ALWAYS be rezzed. Demon Hunter PCs get the convenient explanation of having a "demon soul", and presumably the ability to reform a new body from the Nether.

What's with all the unfounded fan fiction lately?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner45 View Post
    Is this a new meme
    Merely a setback

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That would be so hillarious. I was busy fighting demons, that's probably why I didn't hear his cries of pain.
    "uh... so well... you see Vol'jin's story is a tricky one... Well it's kinda actually a fault of the player characters. See, the plan was for the body not to be burned and for him to fake his death but... uh we accidentally got distracted and burned his body. So he's really dead. He wasn't supposed to be but the demons attacked and... well he's just dead."

Deleted
    isn't it funny how blizzard tells us the lore or even changes some of it on us. screw reading and comming to conculsions on our own, just have blizzard tell you want happende

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drynix View Post
    Quote from Gara'jal the spiritbinder back in mogu'shan vaults:
    " Bah! Bested by de likes of you! What a shame for a Zandalari Priest ta endure.
    But it ain't no ting. Take your trinkets; you'll be needin' dem.
    A portal to the Spirit World opens behind Gara'jal's spirit.
    I be goin' now; time ta find a new home for me soul.
    Death be a doorway, an' time a window; I'll be back! AH-HAHAHAHAHAH! "

He later appeared in Throne of Thunder to empower the bosses there. Conclusion, death means little to the trolls, considering Vol'jin's link with the Loa and stuff like that, he will come back one way or another. Death shouldn't be stopping him.
    Yeah, i was thinking the same exact thing. With this boss, basically Blizzard have a "free to jail" (or grave?) card for Vol'jin. They are probably waiting next expansion, maybe if there will be something related to other Troll tribes.

I liked Voljin the most etc., but he is hopfeully dead, for good.

Constantly resurrecting dead characters would suck imho. I dont even like the idea of them bringing back Archimonde and Kiljaden.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Yeah, i was thinking the same exact thing. With this boss, basically Blizzard have a "free to jail" (or grave?) card for Vol'jin. They are probably waiting next expansion, maybe if there will be something related to other Troll tribes.
    He'll show up later as a force ghost, like Obi-Wan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    we fucking cremated him.

he is dead dead.
    It was a body double. Wake up sheeple!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to post 'inb4 merely a setback' but I was too late already.

Poison took his life!

10+ Year Old Account
    They should bring back Sen'jin or someone who was cool.

Zul'jin too is better as a leader
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The denial in troll fans is stronger than ever.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if he weren't really dead it's not like he has a lot to come back to. What'll they do? Have him squat like a Slav somewhere else?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

He's dead. The Blizzard plotters are barely above soap opera talent, so character deaths are about the height of their potential.

Deleted
    The way blizzard atm is dealing with the Horde faction...

Yes he is dead, they focus is on the Alliance side we Horde got a new warchief with a plot where a loa told everybody she should lead a loa spirit only the Trolls beleave in.
    So yeah current storytellers of blizzard have not interest in the Horde and the faction got downhill pretty fast ever since Metzen left.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm certain there's more to the story. Blizzard has gone out of its way multiple times to make note that Bwonsamdi is the loa of death, and Bwonsamdi had groomed Vol'jin since the events of the pre-Cata world event as his personal champion, later reaffirming their roles to one another in Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde as Vol'jin reinvented himself following Garrosh's assassination attempt. So no, I don't feel Vol'jin's story is over.

But neither do I necessarily think he's going to come back to life; Blizzard has played that card a few too many times and Legion is supposed to be about how high the stakes are, which necessitated our finding these ancient, powerful relics and artifacts to bring to bear while most of the adventurers put aside faction loyalty in favor of banding together by class to more efficiently support their class order leaders. I can see him becoming a loa, however, and filling an advisory/guardian role to the new Darkspear chieftain (who that ends up being is a big question mark currently, considering how few Darkspear trolls are still relevant can be counted on one hand).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!