Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got to wonder how many of the fat shaming people in this thread are also pro choice because "what someone does with their own body is no ones business"
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    The amount of fat threads is quite fat aswell.
    Instead of discussing about fat with people, I'd rather talk about philosophy with these

No one's forcing you to post in them. You here. Door over there. ----------------> []

On topic, I think the guy is talking about literally obese people, not the ones that Hollywood or the fashion industry would consider "fat" when they are completely inside the average body type. IDK, I think at this point the whole "body positivity" thing has transformed into an excuse for unhealthy behavior. That includes overweight and underweight people alike. Why deny FACTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordie View Post
    No one's forcing you to post in them. You here. Door over there. ----------------> []

On topic, I think the guy is talking about literally obese people, not the ones that Hollywood or the fashion industry would consider "fat" when they are completely inside the average body type. IDK, I think at this point the whole "body positivity" thing has transformed into an excuse for unhealthy behavior. That includes overweight and underweight people alike. Why deny FACTS?
    Well, we live in a world where people think there are infinite genders... so why not one where fat is healthy? After all, who cares about facts when we have feels?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no denying that some people take body positivity to the extreme and consider their obesity as "healthy" but the actual goal of body positivity is to take the stigma of being so overweight and seen as sub human to certain people. Of course for the edgy mcgee types it's easy to just tell people PUT DOWN THE BURGERS FAT ASS and sure while that's not incorrect its better to encourage weight loss than to shame it into people.

Shaming does work for some but for most people its just discouraging and it becomes this cycle of self hatred when everyone else around you hates you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm 5' 8" and currently weigh 193lbs. I jog (with 5lbs strapped to each forearm) 6 miles every other day. (Takes me on average 70-75 minutes)
    And I'll be 52 yrs old in a couple of months.

According to BMI I'm obese...And according to you I'm "past the expiration date."
    *chuckles*
    5' 8'' -> 172 cm
    193 lbl -> 87 kg
    IMC: 29,4 (overweight)

You are not considered obese yet. Also IMC is supposed to be an average for average people, not a mandate from the Gods...

If you exercise a lot, it is not meant for you, simple as that.

That is doesn't invalidate that fat people suffer from heart disease and diabetes way more than normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You post a quote but not the source? Good job.
    That's what you get for posting on the job. I'll go back and amend it. Thanks for calling me out on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Well, we live in a world where people think there are infinite genders... so why not one where fat is healthy? After all, who cares about facts when we have feels?
    Well that topic needs a whole lot of discussion but there's no absolutely evidence (like in the case of the unhealthiness of obesity) that there are only 2 genders.

So there's a difference between denial, in the case of an obese/underweight person, and simply not knowing.

Really depends on what one means by ''fat''. There are some who will call people fat as soon as they don't have twiggly arms or washboard abs. I think you can be a bit chubby and still be fit. The pic of the woman upthread is a good example, even if it's photoshopped there are women who look like that and I don't consider that fat.

But of course, there's no way you're 250+ pounds and are also fit. That just doesn't happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I think you've completely misunderstood the point of 'fat-acceptance' and the healthy message that is being promoted by the HAEZ movement. HAEZ promotes the idea that you can be healthy at every size by adopting healthy behaviours, including physical exercise and dieting, but first and foremost HAEZ breeds a message of self-acceptance and respect. Respect is important regardless of size and body diversity should be accepted in society because people come in different shapes and sizes - there's no one size fits all. Thin obsession has results in body preoccupation, self-hatred, eating disorders and even ironically poor health... Few of us are at peace with our bodies, whether because we're fat or because we fear becoming fat. HAEZ shifts the focus in health management from weight loss to a weight-neutral approach in individuals thereby avoiding said issues and promoting a happier and healthier lifestyle.
    Pseudoscientific garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man... people still believe BMI has anything to with anything these days? It is not the 1800's and we are not trying to get census data to form a curve.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Really depends on what one means by ''fat''. There are some who will call people fat as soon as they don't have twiggly arms or washboard abs. I think you can be a bit chubby and still be fit. The pic of the woman upthread is a good example, even if it's photoshopped there are women who look like that and I don't consider that fat.

But of course, there's no way you're 250+ pounds and are also fit. That just doesn't happen.
    If you're 6'5" and muscular you can easily hit 250 pounds without being fat at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Big Country is a myth then, I guess.
    Butterbean doesn't do too bad either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The rock is 260 pounds.. But also 6'4 and pretty fucking fit, but again, he's nowhere near the average 260 pound guy.

Also, BMI is a crap way to measure obesity. Even the creator of the formula said from the start that it only works for average people, not people who have lots of muscle or are very short/tall...
    It needs to get through to people that it's just a (crappy) measurement for averages!

Edit: And to add; Even if you are somewhat fit/athletic, having a lot of fat is unhealthy for you since it increases risks of several diseases and risks during surgeries and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    If you're 6'5" and muscular you can easily hit 250 pounds without being fat at all.
    Ok fine, I should have added for about an average height. Very few guys are 6'5 or more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This reporting of this study was done in a shockingly incompetent fashion - they controlled for exercise. One shouldn't control for exercise because it controls away the effect. It's basically saying, "all else equal, skinny people die sooner than slightly heavier people"; OK, that's probably true, but the problem is that the people who are most active will tend to fall into the <23.8 bucket (with some exceptions for people that are into lifting).

I don't think these sorts of epidemiological studies are very useful. The healthy people who you'd expect to live the longest on average are generally pretty obvious from a body fat and physical activity perspective.
    No, i agree with that choice, controlling for exercise is important, if the sole point is to look at weight.
    After all most people do not exercise enough, therefore its good to dispel the notion that one can be 'healthy' not exercising and just being thin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm 5' 8" and currently weigh 193lbs. I jog (with 5lbs strapped to each forearm) 6 miles every other day. (Takes me on average 70-75 minutes)
    And I'll be 52 yrs old in a couple of months.

According to BMI I'm obese...And according to you I'm "past the expiration date."
    *chuckles*
    Now the interesting question is if the added time you gain by being healthy compares to the hours wasted running - The worst form of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I know this 'obese' woman who swims 2.5km every morning. Yes, you absolutely can be healthy at EVERY size. Weight is a poor indicator of someone's general well-being.
    These healthy obese people you are talking about, have you ever gotten the chance to see how their organs look? The fat on their heart, liver etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You can be considered obese for having too much muscle. Medically speaking.
    "Medically speaking," no doctor is going to call him obese. "Medically speaking," when determining obesity of muscled/fit people, they do more than just look at height/weight, just to give you an idea. There are other measurements one can take as well. You're not an authority on this subject, and should probably not make these kind of statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh-huh...
    /10char
    Get me a doctors opinion. Just one, calling him obese. Also, note the last line in your quoted text.

Some very muscular people may have a high BMI without undue health risks.
    This is one of the places where you're wrong, and should just admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Are football linemen obese? But are they fit also?

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "fat". I've seen pictures of people considered "plus size" that, while not extremely skinny, were definitely not "fat" by any means. There are certain people and publications that will call someone fat if they don't look like a twig. If you mean obese, then yes, it's impossible to be healthy and obese.

Apparently this is considered "fat" nowadays:

no thats "thicc"