Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsoel View Post
    You shouldn't go for 3 GB. It's fine for today's demands but it's not future-proof. I wouldn't buy less then 6GB. Even the 1050 Ti has 4 GB.
    I made this mistake once (bought a 7850 1GB instead of 2 GB) saved a bit of money.. but regreted it later.
    1060 6GB and RX 580 8GB are so close in price-performance ratio.. just pick the one u like better
    If you want to future proof yourself you buy a 1070 or a 1070, the GPU on a 1060 will become a bottleneck before the 3gb frame buffer will. You dont buy a 180 dollar graphics card and expect to play every game on ultra in next ~3 years, well at least i dont.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lemme start by saying I am a Nvidia guy but for what your current system is I strongly recommend a 480, 570 or 580.
    DO NOT get anything with less than 4gb VRAM. Seriously, don't do it.

I personally use a GTX 970 it is perfect for my current setup but I do run into issues with my 4gb of VRAM because it is more of a 3.5gb. This really only becomes an issue in GTA5. I got my son a 470 and he can play anything at 1080p on high to ultra with no issues. I think I got the card for $160 with a free game, excellent deal for the performance.

Update: Well after looking over prices and availability on a quick search I would go with https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-GT.../dp/B01IEKYD5U
    I swear by the OC and cooling potential of MSI. This would be a great card if you are willing to spend the $$$. $239 after rebate.

2nd choice: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-hard...?skuId=5550001

Apparently 470 are hard to come by these days and prices have gone through the roof! And I would not get a 570 over the 1060 I linked for the price.
    In todays market...the 1060 is the way to go hands down.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

So your advice to someone in a thread titled "poor mans upgrade help" is to spend more money?

The 1060 3gb is FIFTY dollars cheaper, smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    So your advice to someone in a thread titled "poor mans upgrade help" is to spend more money?

The 1060 3gb is FIFTY dollars cheaper, smh.
    So is the 570, and it will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    So is the 570, and it will last longer.
    Nah there is no evidence for that whatsoever. You can suggest 570 thats fine, but what you cant do is write off the 1060 3gb card. I have a 2gb 760 that has no issues today at 1080p.

Deleted
    I'll be absolutely honest and say I have no idea what to do about the 1060 3gb vs 6gb vs 570 vs 580. Even before I posted, with what I searched on my own, I couldn't decide.

I will say again that I was never the "I want to play everything on ultra" guy. I am more the "I want everything to be playable for a long time".

On that end, if I have to upgrade first the cpu/mobo/ram then save up a little more money to go for the 1060 6gb or the 580 8gb(?), well sure? Will it be that much of a difference in the long run?

On last thing, heat/power don't care, noise I do care. Aren't the 1060 cards famous for coilwhine?

Deleted
    If you want to future proof yourself you buy a 1070 or a 1070, the GPU on a 1060 will become a bottleneck before the 3gb frame buffer will. You dont buy a 180 dollar graphics card and expect to play every game on ultra in next ~3 years, well at least i dont.
    That's why i recommended a 1060 / 580 or better.
    I use a 1070 myself.

- - - Updated - - -

If u buy a gpu u will notice a big improvement in most of the above mentioned games. U should be able to play these games on high+ settings, except wow.
    If u upgrade ur cpu maybe Wow runs ab bit better, but the other games wont.

Quote Originally Posted by JoErVoL View Post
    I'll be absolutely honest and say I have no idea what to do about the 1060 3gb vs 6gb vs 570 vs 580. Even before I posted, with what I searched on my own, I couldn't decide.

I will say again that I was never the "I want to play everything on ultra" guy. I am more the "I want everything to be playable for a long time".

On that end, if I have to upgrade first the cpu/mobo/ram then save up a little more money to go for the 1060 6gb or the 580 8gb(?), well sure? Will it be that much of a difference in the long run?

On last thing, heat/power don't care, noise I do care. Aren't the 1060 cards famous for coilwhine?
    At 1080p 3gb is plenty. There are videos floating around of some game that uses more than 3gb on uber ultra settings, which no one should be using on a mid range card like a 1060 anyways. I have a 1060 and have never heard any coil whine myself, but maybe some cheap models do (this isnt brand specific btw, has to do with quality of components used).

570 or a 1060 3gb are both fine, check out this guys channel tho:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs...tIo0qXA/videos

He has a ton of videos with all the cards in question, sort by most recent they are all there.

Deleted
    In the past and today 3 or even 2 GB were enough memory because games were made for gaming consoles that had limited amounts of vram. U needed more vram for higher resolutions but not for 1080p.
    But there are now new consoles with better hardware and new games will be adjusted to these.
    For example battlefield 1: Minimum requirements 2GB vram. Recommended 4GB. And thats a 2016 game. There will be more an more games that will need more vram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapsoel View Post
    In the past and today 3 or even 2 GB were enough memory because games were made for gaming consoles that had limited amounts of vram. U needed more vram for higher resolutions but not for 1080p.
    But there are now new consoles with better hardware and new games will be adjusted to these.
    For example battlefield 1: Minimum requirements 2GB vram. Recommended 4GB. And thats a 2016 game. There will be more an more games that will need more vram.
    https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech

They literally recommend a 1060 3GB LOL

Nah there is no evidence for that whatsoever. You can suggest 570 thats fine, but what you cant do is write off the 1060 3gb card. I have a 2gb 760 that has no issues today at 1080p.
    Unless you go by past history and compare say a GTX 460 or GTX 560 to whatever the AMD comparable was at that time. No one does those benchmarks though, probably. But history has shown AMD cards to age better. At one point there was plenty of speculation that nVidia was purposefully gimping older cards to sell new cards. At the very least, they just do not update the drivers for older cards with the optimizations that newer cards get.

Also need to consider the fact that if in a year or so he wants a new monitor, Fresync is cheaper than Gsync and adaptive sync is more useful to people with lower end cards, so he can save money on a monitor later buy buying AMD now.

I can write off the 3gb 1060 if I choose to. You don't have to, but you can not tell me what I can't do because I damn sure can if I want to. As proof that I can, I have done so in this thread and will continue to do so any time I see someone recommend a 3gb 1060.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the 3GB VRAM vs more is an endless discussion on this forum.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...review,11.html

Look, it's pretty simple.

Is 3GB enough for 1080p gaming today? Yes. I don't think there's any game out right now that requires more than 3GB VRAM at that resolution, but there are some (like BF1) which are very close to requiring more.

VRAM usage in games, even at 1080p, has increased by a lot in the past ~5 years and I've seen no signs that it won't continue to do so. My previous GTX 770 had 2GB which was plenty when I bought it in 2014, ~2 years later it was not enough anymore in new games and that was a rather serious problem as it causes rather massive fps drops and "micro-freezes".

In short: I think it's shortsighted to buy a graphics card which has just barely enough VRAM for current games, especially if you don't want to upgrade very often. For the same price as a GTX1060 3GB you can get a 4GB card with similar performance, or for a few bucks more you can get a 6GB or 8GB card. I'd choose either of those options over the 3GB card any day of the week.

Thats where people have this ENTIRELY wrong. Why are you trying to run new titles on ultra with a 3 year old GPU? You need to consider 3 years down the road when BF14 comes out, are you REALLY going to try and play that on ultra with a 1060? Heck no you are gonna play on medium and be glad it looks as good as it does.

3gb is fine, once you actually stop and think for a second.

Thats where people have this ENTIRELY wrong. Why are you trying to run new titles on ultra with a 3 year old GPU? You need to consider 3 years down the road when BF14 comes out, are you REALLY going to try and play that on ultra with a 1060? Heck no you are gonna play on medium and be glad it looks as good as it does.

3gb is fine, once you actually stop and think for a second.
    A 1060, no. A 570, maybe. So that's why the 570 is the better choice right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    A 1060, no. A 570, maybe. So that's why the 570 is the better choice right now.
    Have fun with your 15 FPS. How are you not understanding what i am saying, the GPU's are going to be bottlenecks far before the ram ever will.

Have fun with your 15 FPS. How are you not understanding what i am saying, the GPU's are going to be bottlenecks far before the ram ever will.
    Maybe, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I am not going to be recommending a 3gb card when there is an equally priced equally performing 4gb card that is made by a company who has a history of improving over time and not staying the same or getting worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    psst get the 570.

Ya 570 is fine if you play a lot of games no one has ever heard of, i hear it gets great FPS in ashes of the benchmark Kappa

Ya 570 is fine if you play a lot of games no one has ever heard of, i hear it gets great FPS in ashes of the benchmark Kappa
    So no one has ever heard of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare? Three games I linked you earlier where the 570 and the stock 470 were beating the 3gb 1060? Ok, sure, no one has heard of those games. Alright.

I addition, no one has ever heard of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Pulse/11.html

DOOM
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Pulse/13.html

or

Hitman
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Pulse/19.html

Yup, all games no one has ever heard of. Yes, I realize you can give a list of games where the 3gb 1060 wins out as well, but you are just sitting there stating falsehoods. These are all popular games and the 570 wins out in them.

Overall, the two cards trade blows in games. They are basically even in terms of performance. So, equal price, equal performance, I'll take the one with more VRAM any day of the week. Also notice you are the only one in this thread saying differently? Does that not tell you anything?

My definition of popular and yours are apparently two different things.

WoW, overwatch, GTA 5, rocket league, PUB, H1Z1, CS:GO all favor nvidia. Combine that with the fact the card runs cooler, quieter and uses less juice, the 1060 is the card i recommend unless you find a 570 for 20-30 dollars less.