10+ Year Old Account
    So I see a very sad trend in tech forums. If it's a thread about AMD or Nvidia, some reason financial stuff gets brought up as if it leeds credence to anything about the GPUs themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's even funnier is that Intel for whatever reason decided to buy mcafee, Altera and Mobileeye. Nvidia was pretty "cheap" at some point between those purchases and they could perhaps give them a good deal. That would be interesting, but at least the Altera purchase makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the last Windows 10 creative update took forever to update. I really need to get a ssd.

Also Microsoft, just because I fucking updated you, does not give you my permission to fucking pin your own crap to my taskbar. Fuck off.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Point of interest: if you block: ##.body>div:last-child on this website you'll never see the "please whitelist us" nag screen. Perhaps it's time to reconsider visiting this site at all. There's nothing here apart from this thread that I read any more.

I think I'm going to build a new computer for my television. I'm looking for something that can do 10-bit colour at 4k60 (for youtube and the like, not games) and output at least 5.1 audio. It seems like the only good solution is a mac-mini with an external sound card like the creative x-fi. Short of shelling out for a Quadro card do I have any Windows/Linux options for 10-bit colour?
    Can't all of the Polaris based AMD graphics cards like the 480 and 580 do 4k60 10bit over display port?

I think I remember reading somewhere (possibly techpowerup) that AMD and nVidia graphics cards downscale to 8bit when outputting via HDMI.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Windows or Linux distros can't do is manage different colorspaces at the same time, you can output 10bit just fine. And yeah, any relatively recent AMD card is fine too. Nvidia is also fine as long as you're using Linux since Linux drivers apparently don't turn it off. Having 10bit support won't help you with youtube though, it won't exactly help you with any media consumption whatsoever unless you're using some fancy rendering tricks to force 10bit when gradients are detected (I think both mpv and MadVR can do this) or watching UHD BD content. In the second case you'd also need to make DCI-P3 work, which is doable but then you fuck up sRGB on Windows/Linux (they're hardcoded sRGB, and while you can make it relatively match other colorspaces, things that are in different colorspaces will just be mismatched and look wrong because the system doesn't know the difference between them).

The workaround is doing some configuration on mpv to tell it to put the levels down in order to match sRGB again when needed, but everything else would still be fucked up including YouTube. (You can play YouTube video on mpv too but that'd be getting a little bit too gimmicky).

The only colormanaged desktop OS we have at the moment is OSX/MacOS, and with some configuration you can make mpv output everything nicely and matching their respective colorspaces without much trouble, maybe a hackintosh would be interesting.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-05-14 at 02:45 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Point of interest: if you block: ##.body>div:last-child on this website you'll never see the "please whitelist us" nag screen. Perhaps it's time to reconsider visiting this site at all. There's nothing here apart from this thread that I read any more.

I think I'm going to build a new computer for my television. I'm looking for something that can do 10-bit colour at 4k60 (for youtube and the like, not games) and output at least 5.1 audio. It seems like the only good solution is a mac-mini with an external sound card like the creative x-fi. Short of shelling out for a Quadro card do I have any Windows/Linux options for 10-bit colour?
    We had made a computer forum regulars Facebook group, was secret, but kinda became more of a circle jerk than any decent discussion like we've been having in this chat thread as of late.

About 75% of my posting, I think, is now solely in this thread.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I turned on 10bit color in Madvr. I personally don't notice the difference though.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I think I turned on 10bit color in Madvr. I personally don't notice the difference though.
    It's only supposed to make a difference on a 10bit display, with the OS outputting 10bit and even then the difference is very small and only affect obvious gradients like sunset scenes or some backgrounds =p most high end TVs do this by default too, since they all have 10bit panels and the content is almost always only 8bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think any Ryzen+RX550 would be able to handle anything you could possibly think of throwing at it even using the hardware intensive algorithms for chroma and luma upscaling (not sure if you're well informed in the field but even when doing playback of UHD files on UHD displays you still need to upscale chroma). Those cheap APUs would probably also be able to handle everything as long as you don't use any relatively GPU intensive feature. I'd recommend mpv as the video player, the distribution doesn't really matter since you have AMDGPU in the kernel and it works out of the box, but as far as I know AMD only really supports Ubuntu and RHEL with AMDGPU-PRO, which isn't exactly important but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really remember the key differences between the AMDGPU base and AMDGPU-PRO, but the later is an proprietary userland overlay that works on top of the fully open source AMDGPU in the kernel to bring some better support for OpenCL, OpenCL, Vulkan and VDPAU. I suppose they're just using some hacks to use parts of their windows driver (perhaps a HAL of some sort, or some abstraction layer on top of their windows code) while they don't natively write it in a way that it's accepted into the kernel itself. But the system is entirely usable without the "PRO" extra, sometimes it's even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap. Just spent a few hours driving for Lyft and made way more money than I thought you could make - before tips too! Here's hoping at least one of them, preferably all of them, tip! :O

Going to start doing this a few hours a day, every day.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Holy crap. Just spent a few hours driving for Lyft and made way more money than I thought you could make - before tips too! Here's hoping at least one of them, preferably all of them, tip! :O

Going to start doing this a few hours a day, every day.
    Yeah, My sister does that some. She also does some baby sitting app thing and does a thing where she buys people food and brings it to them, one time someone asked her to bring some type of ice cream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, My sister does that some. She also does some baby sitting app thing and does a thing where she buys people food and brings it to them, one time someone asked her to bring some type of ice cream.
    Probably Grubhub?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably Grubhub?
    Something like that. All these apps can get my sister to bring them any food they desire in Houston, and I can't even get a fucking pizza delivered where I live in bumbfuck Louisiana. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like that. All these apps can get my sister to bring them any food they desire in Houston, and I can't even get a fucking pizza delivered where I live in bumbfuck Louisiana. :/
    Come to Chicagoland and pay me to bring you food.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a pizza place within 3-4 minute walking distance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I wish you die of high cholesterol and heart disease from all that pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I have pizza, kebabs, chinese and greek all within a few minutes walk from home, and I work in the city. Name a country, there's probably a restaurant for it within walking distance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a look around here - it's proper suburban wasteland. Therese a crappy neighbourhood pub, a Swarma, Lebanese, and Persian place, a crappy chain pizza, and that's about it within a 2km/1.5 mile walk. I haven't really tried the delivery options yet but I suspect they're terrible too. On the plus side: I'm saving a fortune.

That's sort of the opposite of Toronto where there was an endless variety of anything you want, at any time, delivered or dine in. I met some out-of-town friends at this place for dinner last night. It was picked by somebody who was just browsing the ratings for things in the east end. When we all met up there was some serious discussion about rethinking the place. The exterior makes it look like a trap, the name is at risk of overpromising but the food was good, cheap, and the interior was nice if a bit like a 1980s time warp. I'll make it a point to go back.
    Is it really called California Breakfast?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Taking a look around here - it's proper suburban wasteland. Therese a crappy neighbourhood pub, a Swarma, Lebanese, and Persian place, a crappy chain pizza, and that's about it within a 2km/1.5 mile walk. I haven't really tried the delivery options yet but I suspect they're terrible too. On the plus side: I'm saving a fortune.

That's sort of the opposite of Toronto where there was an endless variety of anything you want, at any time, delivered or dine in. I met some out-of-town friends at this place for dinner last night. It was picked by somebody who was just browsing the ratings for things in the east end. When we all met up there was some serious discussion about rethinking the place. The exterior makes it look like a trap, the name is at risk of overpromising but the food was good, cheap, and the interior was nice if a bit like a 1980s time warp. I'll make it a point to go back.
    Forget that, I have always wanted to try Poutine myself!

Is it really called California Breakfast?
    I mean, everyone has heard of the great food from California right?.....At least they have good almonds...

I can see mine out of my bedroom window. Constantly top 3 in Sweden in the Swedish online business for pizza (onlinepizza.se). So, yay me.