Page 1 of 2
LastLast

V for Vendetta shockingly relevant

I recently showed one of my favourite movies, V for Vendetta, to my gf. It had at this point been a few years since my last viewing of this movie.

The synopsis;
    in a (near) future, England has become a third reich like dictatorship. The main character "V", inspired by Guy Fawkes, decides to rebel and rallies London to join him in blowing up parlement on november 5th, as Guy Fawkes attempted.

It was quite shocking to see how the movie gained more relevance over the years. Even though the movie was released 12 years ago, it seems to reference events that we are currently going through, or don't seem too unlikely in the near future. A summation of the references I noticed:

"He served in Syria, before and after" - Inspector Finch about a commander they're background checking.

USA is involved in a civil war (no clue is given about the cause of this, could be a result of USA's political polarisation).

The UK is seeing a rise in nationalism, with anti immigrant sentiments (Brexit?).

"Fake news" has a prominent role, though its gouvernment fabricated.

Anyone else find these things interesting? It was quite striking for me...
    Last edited by Veggie50; 2017-05-16 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post-rationalisation is a hell of a drug.

Also I thought that movie was shit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Now go back and read the 1988 graphic novel and see what you think of its view of a dystopian future compared to the movie adaptation compared to today's climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Now go back and read the 1988 graphic novel and see what you think of its view of a dystopian future compared to the movie adaptation compared to today's climate.
    There's a flashback scene in the comic where the candidate(later to become the chancellor) on his campaign was wanting to "Make Britain great again", no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    There's a flashback scene in the comic where the candidate(later to become the chancellor) on his campaign was wanting to "Make Britain great again", no joke.
    That was used as a slogan by the Conservatives in 1950, it's also pretty obvious as "Great Britain" is the name of the island the contains most of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    it's also pretty obvious as "Great Britain" is the name of the island the contains most of the UK.
    No fucking shit, and no fucking relevance. The point was the OP was talking about how relevant V for Vendetta is today and how it relates to current events, and I was pointing out that the fascist chancellor literally used the exact same slogan Trump did, except obviously with his own country's name instead of America.

7+ Year Old Account
    You want to see relevant today? Go watch these two DS9 episodes (it's a 2-parter):

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Homefront_(episode)
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/P...Lost_(episode)

7+ Year Old Account
    Years back this movie set up a scenario about the true face of governments of most countries. They are doing something which common people can never identify, and then the media helps the government to portray everything as more than perfect. But deep down there is something fishy, always. Capitalism is not just an economic system, but it is mindset which is running in the minds of some people in power and ultimately the innocents, ordinary people and the weak ones suffer. This movie showed what an ordinary man can do and how the revolution comes up. I've always loved this movie, loved this character and love the message. We need to learn a lot of things.
    - says Ralph

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I recently showed one of my favourite movies, V for Vendetta, to my gf. It had at this point been a few years since my last viewing of this movie.
    Can't you people. american liberals. keep ur anti-Trump threads contained to the general off-topic page??

Is this some kind of wish that someone blows up the White House?

Sorry mate, the British beat you to it a long time ago

Now, get teh fuck outa this page, like there's not enough of ur flame-wars in the gen-ot page?...I visit this page to ONLY read about muuuvies, music, books n tv...sod off will u?

V for Vendetta has been shockingly relevant from 2002 up until today. As much or more so during the GWB years.

Deleted
    So just to put us on a watch list, are we suggesting blowing up parliament?

Also, welcome to the world, where literature of all kinds predict the predictable.

What you see in V OP is a left wing conformity dystopia - opposite in nature to where Trump is taking us.

V operates under a communist extreme, Trump is definitively a fascist ...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Trump is definitively a fascist ...
    Well he's not, and exhibits through action no practical applications of fascism though the man could just be lazy... but the rest of your post was correct at least.

1984 isn't presently applicable either, before this thread heads in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Well he's not,
    He is according to his views and intents, not according his actions ... but actions are tempered by systems in place to do exactly that.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

What you see in V OP is a left wing conformity dystopia - opposite in nature to where Trump is taking us.

V operates under a communist extreme, Trump is definitively a fascist ...
    V doesn't operate under a communist extreme. Alan Moore was pissed at the V movie because they didn't SPECIFICALLY say the government was facist.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    V doesn't operate under a communist extreme..
    I mean the movie, not the character... the setting is definitively communist (i.e. conformist) in nature.

He is according to his views and intents, not according his actions ... but actions are tempered by systems in place to do exactly that.
    He's not even a fascist in his views or intents. He's too far left on a litany of social issues that a fascist would bristle at. He's just a douchebag ignoramus.

He's not even a fascist in his views or intents.
    Well, I was referring to Trump ... who is a textbook fascist ... by the numbers.

Well, I was referring to Trump ... who is a textbook fascist ... by the numbers.
    He's not, within any framework other than self-imposed hysteria of his critics. He's just a douchebag ignoramus, which is a problem in and of itself.

*It almost gives him too much credit to try and label him as a fascist. Doing so implies he has any concrete ideological beliefs.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-05-18 at 09:48 AM.

He's not
    You are factually incorrect. That's all you need to know.

Here is where the science puts your US politicians: