Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Having good business skills doesn't necessarily mean one is knowledgeable on everything. There are differences on how to approach policy in public office than it is in a firm or even in normative beliefs, one can be out of touch with what's necesary to tackle the country's problem (I.E If one doesn't believe in climate, is an antivaxxer). Some nuance is required I think. Also, I don't really think one can argue that a lot of the skills like quick thinking, creative decision making, etc don't translate well to other positions of leadership where a lot of the same skills are required.
    Underlying all of this is the assumption - and it is an assumption whether your want to admit it or not - that these abilities are necessary for accruing wealth via private enterprise. What's necessary to accrue wealth in private enterprise is externalizing risks and gluttonizing profits, which depends far more on chance than any ingrained talent or finely-honed skill.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He's delusional and other people bought into his delusions.
    He's like that crazy carpenter that didn't hit it off with the Romans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, you're wrong. He's actually the opposite of all of that he actually has a big heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Underlying all of this is the assumption - and it is an assumption whether your want to admit it or not - that these abilities are necessary for accruing wealth via private enterprise. What's necessary to accrue wealth in private enterprise is externalizing risks and gluttonizing profits, which depends far more on chance than any ingrained talent or finely-honed skill.
    I mean ofc there are other ways becoming wealthy. But in the case of Trump and similars like him, the example applies, the argument to prove they are unfit should be focused on him being wrong on his priorities (policy proposals) or flat out being a bad businnes man. Also out of all examples you could point you choose this:

What's necessary to accrue wealth in private enterprise is externalizing risks and gluttonizing profits.
    Maximizing profits is what businesses do. Jeez at the very least you could've mention something like more and more CEOs taking short term profit decisions over better long term investments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    he actually has a big heart.
    And you know this becaaaaaaaaause?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    And you know this becaaaaaaaaause?
    He's old and fat so enlarged heart tends to come with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    I mean ofc there are other ways becoming wealthy. But in the case of Trump and similars like him, the example applies, the argument to prove they are unfit should be focused on him being wrong on his priorities (policy proposals) or flat out being a bad businnes man. Also out of all examples you could point you choose this
    Its not a question of there being "other ways" of becoming wealthy besides "creative decision making" and "quick thinking" - which are laughable generalities at best - its a question of assuming that accruing wealth has anything to do with any skill set at all, and understanding that such assumptions are how ideology works.

Putting aside questions of whether such invented skill sets are either indicative of a general intelligence or have any social utility (you know who are "creative decision makers" and "quick thinkers"? Sex traffickers, drug kingpins, and mafia bosses). The drive to confer virtues upon the powerful and vice upon the poor is one of the most elementary topics in Theory of Moral Sentiments, which wasn't a book written by some communist.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2017-05-18 at 02:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump is a master manipulator when it comes to interacting with primitive people (that's how he won the election), but I wouldn't expect him to show similar tendencies in state management or foreign relations. It is one thing to exploit people whose knowledge of politics is limited to cheap slogans; it is completely different thing to interact with Comey, Lavrov, Netanyahu or Kim Jong Un, people who have been in ultra-competitive political fields for decades and mastered the art of negotiations on the highest level. For Lavrov to get a classified piece of information from Trump, is like for the top Olympic runner to outrun an amateur sumo wrestler.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

@Slybak

The drive to confer virtues upon the powerful and vice upon the poor is one of the most elementary topics in Theory of Moral Sentiments, which wasn't a book written by some communist
    The only thing I said was that business skills can be translated to public office positions. You haven't really said anything against this, short of the one part where you said that becoming wealthy is not necesarily an indicative general intelligence to which I agreed.

Putting aside questions of whether such invented skill sets are either indicative of a general intelligence
    Correct me on this if I'm wrong, since I just googled it, but doesn't the idea of general intelligence suggest that business skills such as decision making can be translated to similar positions where such skills are necessary? For example in the next thing you say:

have any social utility (you know who are "creative decision makers" and "quick thinkers"? Sex traffickers, drug kingpins, and mafia bosses).
    Shouldn't the idea of general intelligence apply here?
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-05-18 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I can say about Trump is he has been even more incompetent that I had feared, and I did not set the bar very high to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The only thing I can say about Trump is he has been even more incompetent that I had feared, and I did not set the bar very high to begin with.
    He couldn't raise the bar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I always thought this:

1.) Trump is a smart manipulator, who abused and amplified the bad feelings of the masses to come to power.
    2.) Trump is a nationalist who wants to implement Bannons ideas about an autocratic state
    3.) Trimp abuses false informations as "alternative truths" to create cognitive dissonance, to hide the lies that matter behind obvious lies

But the current incidents seem to show another image of him:

1.) Trump just is a narcisst who knows only himself, without real political goals, who even becomes a traitor just to boast about his knowledge to russian politicians (and others)
    2.) Trump is just caring for the money he is getting from using his properties for his job
    3.) Trump cares more about his family than about what is his political agenda (as like making a deal with china to allow his daughter to sell shinies).

So where am i wrong? Is Trump really just a narcistic idiot at the end, or is he planning a political desaster as in the first 3 points?
    Your impressions come from the local media which merely echoed the sentiments of Trump critical media in the US and as always also added a touch "but maybe he's going to be a great president after all!". This level of naivity was concerning from the get-go. He was a no-issue politicians from the beginning, his actual program was a boilerplate Republican agenda completely out of touch with reality but rife with hostile intentions against the social well-being of the voterbase. He ran on promises that sounded too outlandish to be true and are indeed impossible to become true. He should travel back in time and replace Walter Ulbricht, he would be capable to keep almost all promises. A big beautiful wall? Check. Keeping unwanted elements out of the Republic? Check. Sending the masses to work in coal mines and creating lot of jobs? Check. He was never going to be more than a pathologically lying narcissist and a two-bit opportunist. He literally is the anti-thesis of what he promised and a complete stranger to realpolitik and temperance.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

In short

Trump is an idiot, he's no mastermind, he might have had help from ruthless people like Roger Stone, but on his own he's just a rich idiot.

15+ Year Old Account
    The one thing we know for certain: Trump is severely brain damaged, and the fact that he was able to manipulate several million people is more due to his ability as a savant salesman/conman than anything else.

Remember, for the 30 years before Trump became president, he was really good at convincing people to buy things, convincing them that they wanted what he had to sell, and then he'd give them cheap plastic imitations for a million dollars. Trump U was just one example of many where he was selling rhinestones at the price of diamonds.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I always thought this:

1.) Trump is a smart manipulator, who abused and amplified the bad feelings of the masses to come to power.
    2.) Trump is a nationalist who wants to implement Bannons ideas about an autocratic state
    3.) Trimp abuses false informations as "alternative truths" to create cognitive dissonance, to hide the lies that matter behind obvious lies

But the current incidents seem to show another image of him:

1.) Trump just is a narcisst who knows only himself, without real political goals, who even becomes a traitor just to boast about his knowledge to russian politicians (and others)
    2.) Trump is just caring for the money he is getting from using his properties for his job
    3.) Trump cares more about his family than about what is his political agenda (as like making a deal with china to allow his daughter to sell shinies).

So where am i wrong? Is Trump really just a narcistic idiot at the end, or is he planning a political desaster as in the first 3 points?
    You should watch Get Me Roger Stone on Netflix. You will have a good idea of what some of Trumps political views are or may end up being. The doc gives a good look into how candidate Trump was created. I say some of his political views because I believe Trump is going to do what he wants. He is a lot more crafty than what people give him credit for and I think he uses that to his advantage.