Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Old player returning.

As the title says i'm on old wow player, played from beta till dragon soul raid. Just a few quick questions to help me decide on when to return.

1. Is it possible to get up to speed and able to raid this far into in expansion, i remember they started to bring features in to help new/casual players just as i stopped playing.

2. What is the hours per week needed to raid at high level.( how many raids, how long are there etc. )

3. I played healer previously i would like to do so again, whats the pros and cons to each class atm.

4. Servers, my characters are on Horde Defias Brotherhood EU, is this still a decent server, if not what is a good server for horde raiding.

Thanks in advance for any answers and more info

Quote Originally Posted by Tittattotem View Post
    As the title says i'm on old wow player, played from beta till dragon soul raid. Just a few quick questions to help me decide on when to return.

1. Is it possible to get up to speed and able to raid this far into in expansion, i remember they started to bring features in to help new/casual players just as i stopped playing.

2. What is the hours per week needed to raid at high level.( how many raids, how long are there etc. )

3. I played healer previously i would like to do so again, whats the pros and cons to each class atm.

4. Servers, my characters are on Horde Defias Brotherhood EU, is this still a decent server, if not what is a good server for horde raiding.

Depends on what you mean by high level. You wanna raid mythic and kill a few bosses in the current tier? You will need half a month/1 month of preparation to get legendaries and an appropriately leveled artifact. Also to spam M+ and get a lot of gear. You will also have to find a guild that is willing to help you get at least HC achiev and tier set. If you wanna raid and clear whole tier in a reasonable manner within the tier itself, then prepare for months of hard work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome back! Legion is a great expansion with many hours of content.

1. Yes, you can raid just fine in LFR, Normal, or even Heroic. It might be difficult to find a mythic guild to raid with for Nighthold or Tomb.

2. I'm assuming by high level you mean Mythic? There are so many variables that it's hard to say. Totally depends on the competency of your guild. If you want to raid Normal or Heroic, plan on spending 5-6 hours per week raiding.

3. This is a pretty loaded question. I see in your sig that you had a druid and sham. Those are my two favorite healers with Resto sham edging out resto druid atm. Both are great and bring lots of utility!

4. Not sure on EU servers, TBH. You can look up server stats or check recruiting pages to see if you need to xfer. I will say that if you only plan on doing Heroic raiding, you can mostly do PUG's through the new group finder.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes
    2. Depends on you and your guild
    3. Each class...? Pass.
    4. Look on the realm forum/ask ingame

Deleted
    Thanks for reply, looks like ill prob get into heroic raiding for the rest of the expansion Mythic was not a thing before so not up to date with that, just to get back into it. See if i can find a nice chill guild to raid with.

I think it is close for ToS, but alll depends on you time and finding a guild willing to take you. Catch-up is pretty solid in Legion. You can be farming Nighthold HC for gear within a week for you 4 piece. M+ which you will spam for AP with Titanforging can take you the rest of the way until the guild will take you on NH Mythic runs.

Edit: just saw you meant HC, no problem whatsoever. My hunter alt went from being fresh lvl100 to ilvl 888 within a week of casual play.
    Last edited by HuxNeva; 2017-05-17 at 04:25 PM.

How do u feel about

a literal infinite grind

that everyone who responds to this will handwave and makes excuses for as 'optional'

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    How do u feel about

a literal infinite grind

that everyone who responds to this will handwave and makes excuses for as 'optional'
    Probably will not be considered optional for hard progression guilds, and even there just to the first paragon trait, but for all the others, pretty optional indeed.

If you get a less narrow-minded guild, that doesn't obsess over the artifact progression.
    Then yes.

EU player, but no significant or memorable experience of that realm.

How do u feel about

a literal infinite grind

So you simply dismiss any disagreements as wrong, just because you say so.

Proving the point about being narrow-minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    How do u feel about

a literal infinite grind

Been playing Diablo 3 for 5 years,,,,bring on the grind!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Probably will not be considered optional for hard progression guilds, and even there just to the first paragon trait, but for all the others, pretty optional indeed.

Of course it is optional ! I don't even have concordance of legion fall and I raid in heroic, which is what he wants to do. Take the artifact power as it comes, don't bother much with it, you'll ejoy ten time more the game. At east that's what I do since the beggening of legion, and everything's fine.

Artifact Knowledge will improve the rate of gain, but that is time-gated.
    No amount of grinding will overcome that at low levels of Artifact Knowledge.
    If someone is willing to understand that there is nothing a new player can do about that, then they will let them stand on their own merits, not simply that they have something that only time can give.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

To be honest, you will find yourself being bored of heroic after a while, you will probably clear it after 1.5-2 months, and then you will have nothing else to do. That's a nice point to start mythic, you will probably find a guild if you show good performances.

Deleted

1. Yes, there are catch up mechanics in the game, so a new character is fairly easy to get going.
    2. I don't know what high-level means? If you want top guilds, you need to make WoW your primary job (most likely through streaming). Lower end Mythic guilds raid 3-4 times a week and don't usually split-raid. There are requirements, but if you play couple of hours every day, this should be Ok-ish. Heroic is completely puggable and you don't need to join a guild for it, it's laughably easy facerolling. No pre-reqs, though pugs sometimes require ridiculous ilvls, but that's pugs for you. There's a wide variety of guilds and requirements when it comes to raiding, it all depends what "high-level" means for you
    3. Unless you're aiming for those top mythic progression guilds none of that matters. Play whatever you think sounds like fun. They're all fine.
    4. Have a look in Wowprogress, it's easy to see how many progression guilds there are (and how good they are)
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-05-17 at 05:06 PM.

Now imagine that grind....but with daily and weekly timed lockouts. Oh...and a monthly fee. But without the cube or enchanter.

That's Legion. Have fun!

Deleted
    I came back for a short while a year or so ago.
    It was quite fun, but the dailyes and weekly timed quests was...new
    As a "older" guy (43) I didnt had endless of time to play and I almost had to choose from exploring everything new, and questing and farming for achivments so I could get the abillity to fly around the map again, and to take care of my homebase. (dont remember the word for it)
    That was fun as well, sending your NPC´s on quests, grinding thoose hard-to-earn materials for crafting, send out your armada on navy quests and so on.

But it was not really as I remembered it.
    I couldnt really find that umpfh-feeling again unfortunatly :/

Deleted
    If this is true then you are more than set for Wow. I think wow has a lot of diablo elements in it these days

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If you get a less narrow-minded guild, that doesn't obsess over the artifact progression.
    Then yes.

EU player, but no significant or memorable experience of that realm.

So you simply dismiss any disagreements as wrong, just because you say so.

Proving the point about being narrow-minded.
    In the 6 months I was gone MMO-C lost all its sense of humor you guys are just seriously at red alert about every fuckin thing all the time

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Perhaps logically true, but ignores social dynamics and community expectations but hey, I'm the turd who argues the game itself is "optional" so we're both right

Aww you guys didn't even have to valiantly defend the grind system he's gonna love it

Aww you guys didn't even have to valiantly defend the grind system he's gonna love it
    Eh...I wouldn't be so sure. Legion's grind is the same as D3's grind, but with less options. It's an objectively lesser system. I personally enjoy Diablo 3(I play every season), but can't stand Legion.

But I guess if you just like grinding, not matter what form it takes, this'll be your jam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting up to speed is not going to be a problem. Raiding guilds may well be a problem. That scene is somewhat fractured and whatever luck you have will depend a lot on whatever realm you're on. The good news is that there's a lot of recruiting going on. The bad news is that at higher levels they are looking for someone ready to raid. Bringing people on and helping over the last few steps is more rare these days than it used to be.

But welcome back and good luck.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."