Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bariatric surger

Is weight loss surgery the easy way out? I saw on youtube recently that Boogie2988 is getting weight loss surgery and I see it being a good thing for him because with the issues with his legs it's obvious that it's not easy for him to exercise much at his current weight. But I wonder if people see it as the easy way out. I'm a big guy myself and working on losing the weight but I'm trying to do it the long way. I've currently taken a second part time job this summer between semesters at a Kroger grocery store where I basically stock shelves. I just started this week and I see how much exercise I'm going to get and I'm glad. I walked 8500 steps the other day in one shift and for someone who is really overweight that's alot of work. I'm fine with it. It hurts like hell but I think it will be worth it to get some weight off.

I don't see myself ever getting surgery to lose weight. I want to lose it the right way. I've even started eating better.

What do you guys think about weight loss surgery?

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I think any surgery is good if it saves your life.

Moderating your eating is like 99%, the exercise won't do much, especially when your body gets used to it. The human body is amazing but even it has to obey calories in versus calories out.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I personally would never do such a surgery my mother had one and it fucked her up. In Boogie2988 case i don't know how many more options he have? He doesn't have the discipline to eat less and do exercise i think his around his early 40s? For this type of surgery if it helps the person to lose weight and become more healthy it's good and Boogie is fairly big.

Anyways good luck with the weight loss keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Is weight loss surgery the easy way out? I saw on youtube recently that Boogie2988 is getting weight loss surgery and I see it being a good thing for him because with the issues with his legs it's obvious that it's not easy for him to exercise much at his current weight. But I wonder if people see it as the easy way out. I'm a big guy myself and working on losing the weight but I'm trying to do it the long way. I've currently taken a second part time job this summer between semesters at a Kroger grocery store where I basically stock shelves. I just started this week and I see how much exercise I'm going to get and I'm glad. I walked 8500 steps the other day in one shift and for someone who is really overweight that's alot of work. I'm fine with it. It hurts like hell but I think it will be worth it to get some weight off.

I don't see myself ever getting surgery to lose weight. I want to lose it the right way. I've even started eating better.

Anyone who says its the easy way out has never seen someone go through it. The biggest eye opener for my mom was the person next to her in recovery after her surgery, that person was having thier second surgery of the same type because she relapsed. Some fail the program, others it saves thier life. Some people dont have the willpower to do it the easy way and moderate thier eating so they need an extreme to help them.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    do people think that people who get surgery are just looking an easy way out so they can punish their bodies again?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I think any surgery is good if it saves your life.
    Lobotomy ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Whether it's true or not, I've always heard that the biggest issue with morbidly obese people that lose a lot of weight naturally is that their stomach will never shrink down to a normal size. Making it impossible for the standard 1800 to 2000 calorie diet to make them feel full. If that's the case then surgery seems like the only viable option to keep the weight off if they don't go back to their old eating habits.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Also note that while it is fast weight loss you have altered your body that causes a fair number of side effects. A lot of the surgeries tend to prevent you from ever eating normally again you have to eat tiny portions just about constantly because your stomach capacity is so greatly reduced. It also can have a lot of impacts on your digestive track with painful/awkward effects.

It is a non trivial thing to do its not just snap your fingers watch the pounds fly off with no consequence. It is a life altering surgery and for some people it is good way to force the weight loss and to prevent weight gain but it is by no means the easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Moderating your eating is like 99%, the exercise won't do much, especially when your body gets used to it. The human body is amazing but even it has to obey calories in versus calories out.
    Depends on what exercise you do and how many calories you expend. For example, cyclists can not physically gain weight if they train regularly. They have to make pauses (days, sometimes weeks) in training to allow the body to recover and gain weight, or they start burning muscle mass (during races it is inevitable, hence constant munching of energy bars). It is near impossible for them to consume as many calories as they spend during races and training sessions. Expenditure can be as high as an equivalent of 300g of body fat per hour or even more (more than 2500kcal per hour, more than half a kilo of chocolate or 5 BigMacs). If you cycle 3-4 times a week for an hour with an average speed of 25-30km/h (17-19 miles / hour, and that really is not too fast even for a casual cyclist), it is a rough equivalent of doing 6-7 hours of heavyweight lifting each week. At that point you are practically not restricted to amounts or types of food you can consume. Each training hour you would lose 2 Big Macs worth of energy.
    http://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/cycling.htm
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2017-05-18 at 10:03 PM.

I wouldn't consider it an easy way out. Most physicians will require the patient lose a certain amount of weight before undergoing the procedure. Losing just 15 lbs reduces time spent undergoing operation and time spent in recovery. A loss of 10% body weight greatly reduces the risk of complications.

It is a serious procedure and in my world it should always be treated as a last resort. However, the vast majority of obese people, I am sure their weight can be fixed with simple dieting.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Easy way out? What the fuck are you talkign about? You act like this is some sort of competition. If you're extremely overweight, you're so out of balance and your body is so messed up that losing weight is very, very difficult for any multitude of reasons. Surgery helps remove some of that weight, so that the remaining weight can be trained away.
    Easy way out? Fuck me. Have you ever had surgery of any kind? There's nothing easy about it.

I need some surgery. Weighed in at 177.0 this morning. I need to get down to like 170. I'm like 5' 9.75".

Of course surgery isn't the answer. Removing fat doesn't make your body healthier. It makes it lighter and easier to do some things, but your muscles and organs won't even be acclimated so it's not even strictly better. Surgery is for weak people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Removing fat doesn't make your body healthier.
    So, I mean, by that logic, adding fat doesn't make one's body less healthy, either.

Had a guest lecture from a gastroenterology professor. This was how he described bariatric surgery: "Doctor, I can't stop eating. I want you to make it so miserable for me to eat, that I will stop eating"

And then he went on to describe how the surgery made it miserable for the patients to eat.

It works and it works well, you lose something like 25-35% of your excess body weight in the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So, I mean, by that logic, adding fat doesn't make one's body less healthy, either.
    Does adding a stent to someone's heart or a metal rod in someone with a broken bone really change the person's metabolism? "Healthy" means the whole body chemically is affected by a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Does adding a stent to someone's heart or a metal rod in someone with a broken bone really change the person's metabolism? "Healthy" means the whole body chemically is affected by a change.
    Yes and losing that weight makes the body "healthy" chemically speaking. Our endocrine system functions better, our organs become more efficient, our skin, bones, muscles (including, especially, the heart), etc., undergo far less stress, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yes and losing that weight makes the body "healthy" chemically speaking. Our endocrine system functions better, our organs become more efficient, our skin, bones, muscles (including, especially, the heart), etc., undergo far less stress, etc.
    Here are some specifics. Complications of obesity include:

* Arthritis
    * Sleep apnea
    * Cardiovascular disease (eg heart attack)
    * Diabetes
    * Cancer

I eat next to nothing and i weigh about 140 lbs

That might give you a clue to weight lose!