Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Sort of.
    Activision-Blizzard is a publisher.
    Blizzard is still its own publisher and it's own studio.
    Of Which Vivendi Universal owns slightly more than half the shares of.
    Blizzard development isn't run by Activision, but by Blizzard. Activision doesn't publish Blizzard either.
    Viv Universal only owns 5.8% of Activision Blizz stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Litraphy View Post
    Uhm, what? It's not like Activision owns Blizzard.

Lol, why do you think they're called Activision-Blizzard.

Activision merged with their holdings company in 2007. That's exactly what it means.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownload View Post
    Viv Universal only owns 5.8% of Activision Blizz stock.
    When did they sell their majority?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    This is clearly the first step towards making it the Activision-Blizzard Launcher.
    I was thinking that. Battle.net will become the launcher for all Activision games soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Any way to get WoW Tokens without an active WoW sub?:P
    Make a ticket, ask for a day of gametime to try things out, buy tokens and use them.

When did they sell their majority?
    2013 they sold shares back to Acti/Blizz to drop from 63% to 11%. Following year the sold more to drop to 5.8%.
    Last edited by Blownload; 2017-05-18 at 10:08 PM.

I don't think people realize the hardcore bromance that Blizzard and Bungie have had as companies for years now. Especially since Blizzard is owned by Activision and Bungie has a 10 year contract with them for Destiny I'm not all that surprised. I personally think it's a great idea to help shore up any of the issues that Destiny 2 would have had that are PC specific issues that Blizzard as a company has perfected dealing with for years now.
    Last edited by bungie; 2017-05-18 at 10:11 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungie View Post
    I don't think people realize the insane bromance that Blizzard and Bungie have had as companies for years now. Especially since Blizzard is owned by Activision and Bungie has a 10 year contract with them for Destiny I'm not all that surprised. I personally think it's a great idea to help shore up any of the issues that Destiny 2 would have had that are PC specific issues that Blizzard as a company has perfected dealing with for years now.
    What a fitting poster name.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Nope, atleast read the FAQ, Bungie are the ones hosting the servers. Blizzard is basicly just hosting the icon.
    I am sure all the people that might do that will read all the FAQs too. Thank goodness we are saved!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaalrn View Post
    It was stated that Bungie will be taking care of server support and costumer support for Destiny2
    I am sure that everybody is going to read or care about that next time Blizzard gets hammered by somebody.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a smart cash grab for them. You can use the bnet tokens to buy it so now more people will buy it via that. As a result Activision/Blizzard gets about 20 extra bucks per game and at the same time dumps a few more active people into WoW even if only briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    And it begins. Just like fall of TF2.

Start promoting non-first-party games with bonus features for other games.

"Buy Destiny 2 and get a free hat in Overwatch!"

Destiny is already an Activision game. There's no reason every Activision game doesn't just move over to Battle.net and dump Steam.

(also thank god people are still calling it BNET cause fuck Blizzard App)
    I wouldn't be surprised if that will end up happening I would probably play COD if it was on the launcher and buyable with Bnet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Österreich or Austria for the english speaking
    well from a market point i makes some sense but i wonder how it fairs . as far i seen destiny so far its mediocre at best. so befor ill buy into it i will wait for some playable demo and/or reviews outside of IGN.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    The first Destiny was disappointing for me, the story missions were too short and it ended abruptly, if the second destiny promises and delivers a better story experience then I might consider buying it. I may also buy it if we get rewards in WoW and Overwatch.
    Great so this means Destiny 2 will lag like a Mofo like World of warcraft and also be down every tuesday with lots of issues after it comes back up...

why are they still calling it battle.net?

What a fitting poster name.
    Yeaaaahhh, just a handle I had since Halo Combat Evolved. (though it used be Bungiecord -- have since shortened it)

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? If you've been in development of games you'd also know what a rollercoaster ride development can be. Just look at how Overwatch came to be and how uncertain that was for a long time. They didn't even know if people would like it, but they went with it and it worked.
    If you have to name yourself a AAA-developer you'll have to back that up with some info on what you've worked with and whom, if you don't mind. Otherwise it's hard to believe you when you say you talk from experience and insight.

I disagree, this is entirely pressure from Activision and their investors. Blizzard could've supported any other game at all. Destiny 2 isn't lacking in money nor development time. This is cutting corners for a quicker launch. Convenience. Blizzard could've of course said no, but I think they see the money in this as well. It's a lucrative opportunity, because it puts Destiny 2 and Blizzards game next to one another, something one or the other is gonna benefit from.
    Oh, development is hectic. Sadly, and because I've been literally crept on by someone with barely my internet username (which I changed since then, hence the very bad name I have right now), I've decided to not give too much information about that anymore. All I can say is that I used to work at Ubisoft, but I've since left to work on my own projects and University in computer sciences.

Since we're talking about Destiny, you should know that a few months prior to launch, they've completely scrapped the lore and started back at point 0. Now, that part isn't really big news, it's been covered everywhere. But the interesting part here is Blizzard and how they played a role directly with the Destiny team: http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-sto...iny-1737556731

I really recommend reading it. If anything, it's a good insight into the VG development's cycle.

Ultimately, you are right that both has something to gain from this. After all, they are businesses. The interesting part here is that Activision own a lot of games. A really huge amount of them. So the decision to accept, say, Destiny (which is not even close to a number of sales a CoD can generate) over any other, more successful, game is the interesting argument here. So while it's fair to say that both have something to gain out of it, I think it's really important to understand the fact that Destiny is a game that has a core philosophy very close to Blizzard's own. Otherwise, the battle.net app would already be filled with hundreds of games from the Activision department.

I want to precise what I meant with the "Blizzard employees have been able to play Destiny early". A few things you should know: Blizzard HQ is highly protected digitally. Nothing goes out at all. Other Activision branches can't play the games from Blizzard. I can't speak for QA though, as I know Activision tend to playtest their games all over their studios, but then again that's irrelevant since QA aren't the ones making this decision. Blizzard itself is, therefore, an entirely independent team which own itself and Activision knows better than to meddle with them. If Blizzard decided to move out of Activision, which they definitely could considering their assets, that would be catastrophic and investors would start looking for whom to execute. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here.

Now, Blizzard's team leads, producers, and directors have most likely played the game. It's a common practice in studios to have developers play other games in development so the "knowledge" can be shared. You also have meetings with several higher ups where games like these get presented to a large, in-company closed-door audience at a very early stage.

I can't say for Blizzard themselves, as I have very little knowledge of what's happening inside the Blizzard HQ. But if I am to believe my own experience and my friends/colleagues working inside Activision's branches, this is not a decision pushed by Activision but something entirely independent.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It might seem harmless enough, but all I'm seeing is more activision creep.

The launcher will probably be rebranded to Activision soon enough.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Does this mean I'll be able to use my Blizzard Balance to purchase Destiny 2?
    Yes!
    The gold price of the EU Wow Token shot up by 12% (25k) as soon as this was revealed. I suppose we can look forward to yet another skyrocketing price explosion now...

By the time this game launches and all of its microtransactions go live the Wow token is going to cost half a million gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you're really adding some quality to the discussion.
    What is there to add? It's a simple business partnership by Blizzard. Bungie will pay Blizzard for their services and there will be another icon on Bnet. Literally nothing will change for anyone.

I don't understand the complaint of.....they may give out free shit in WoW if you play another game.

buy activision stock today, watch it soar after E3 and Blizzcon and next year Q4 earnings call, be rich 2 years from now, fuck 1000$/night hookers