Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Lol, ok you don't know, mainstream is what the majority of the mass market can afford, you are referring to the high performance segment, most people have a budget for parts especially for CPUs are around $100.

As much as someone like Linustechtips tries to classify products by its performance bracket as 'mainstream', its actually dictated by price, and price is king of anything, I will keep hammering this home but theres a reason why the best selling PC game in 2016 is farming simulator 2017 with under a million units sold and being only number 67 on the overall rankings.

Let that sink home to what mainstream is and why console game sales utterly demolish PC game sales, most people can't afford decent parts or I should rather say, people don't provide good and broad enough information about the components and try to think I7s as being the standard and considered 'mainstream' even though its out of reach for most buyers.

Also you realise the R5 1400 is around $150 right?, thats a 8 threaded CPU for almost half the price of the Intel I7, the price is lowering, and prices do need to come down, otherwise you will be stuck with a losing battle with PC game ports, mean just go back to the above to understand why, devs won't produce good ports most of the time and some games won't get released at all because they know damn well it won#t sell much, which is badddddddd.

By the way, in regards to your remark 'you dont have to buy it if you dont want to', I currently own a 5820K .
    Well, You've got Extreme platforms from intel and then mainstream, which is everything else, i7's included. If you don't accept that then there is also this:
    https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/comp...16-first-half/

The 6700k sold more units than what you would call mainstream.

and best sellers on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...tronics/229189
    The top 3 are all i7s.

By either definition, you are wrong.

its no different then GTX 1080/1070 vs the $100-150 Nvidia GPUs

ofc the cheapest cards sell more in pure units, but the "performance" segment is nothing to sneeze at either and the sales/overall profits are not nearly as small there as some people still continue to believe

this mentality that 99% of PC gamers dont spend more than $100-150 on their CPUs/GPUs needs to die

we do, thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

ofc the cheapest cards sell more in pure units, but the "performance" segment is nothing to sneeze at either and the sales/overall profits are not nearly as small there as some people still continue to believe

this mentality that 99% of PC gamers dont spend more than $100-150 on their CPUs/GPUs needs to die

we do, thankfully
    Don't know about that either, last gen I am pretty sure the 970 was the top selling card.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

If you just game and want maximum performance then probably i5. If you game and want to stream at some point then you get ryzen.

everyones a streamer these days

everyones a streamer these days
    Many of us do it for fun yes. Point is ryzen is for multitaskers and intel is just for gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, You've got Extreme platforms from intel and then mainstream, which is everything else, i7's included. If you don't accept that then there is also this:
    https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/comp...16-first-half/

The 6700k sold more units than what you would call mainstream.

and best sellers on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...tronics/229189
    The top 3 are all i7s.

By either definition, you are wrong.
    You are looking a places that sell CPU's. That would only help for people who assemble computers. In other words, enthusiasts and businesses who assemble their own PC's. The vast majority of processors are sold in business and branded computers which aren't included in those numbers. For example, Lenovo sold about 55 million odd PC's last year. You can be sure that the majority of those weren't 6700K's. Why would a business buy an overclockable CPU?

- - - Updated - - -

we do, thankfully
    I am pretty sure that if you look here (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/), you will notice that the vast majority of steam users have sub $150 video cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am pretty sure that if you look here (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/), you will notice that the vast majority of steam users have sub $150 video cards.
    you'll also notice 1080 being above RX480/1050Ti/1050, 970 being the best seller, 1060 & 1070 being near the top

my point made

you'll also notice 1080 being above RX480/1050Ti/1050, 970 being the best seller, 1060 & 1070 being near the top

my point made
    If I add the 970, the 1060, the 1070 and the 1080 together then I get 15.21% of 74.76%. That gives 11.37% which is pretty close to the 10% mark people have been talking about. I am sure if you add all of the cards above $150 you still won't get close to 20%. That means that the vast majority (80%+) of video cards on Steam are sub $150 cards. It's an indisputable fact. There is obviously a whole chunk of money to be made on that top 20% but they still make up the minority, by a large margin. If you are looking at the very high end cards, something like the 1080, then you are looking at roughly 1% which is very small.

Servers and bulk processors / GFX cards are where the bread and butter is. The high end stuff is the cream.

adding up only the units is pointless without taking prices and profit margins into account

so those 10%+ transform into quite a bit more than 10% when talking purely about profits and revenue for discrete GPUs .. hence their importance to the vendors

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll add my vote towards an R5 1600 just to counter-balance the ever annoying Intel/Nvidia wankfest I see pop up in every thread anymore.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    the ever annoying wankfest I see pop up in every thread
    exactly my thoughts towards Ryzen fans lately (and some AMD fans all the time)

that said the answer is obvious :

needs cores/threads - Ryzen
    need ST performance - Intel

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than a few FPS here and there, RyZen is still the better deal. Even in a blind test, you won't see a difference.

that said the answer is obvious :

needs cores/threads - Ryzen
    need ST performance - Intel
    That's an oversimplification of things. Very few people need only single thread performance or only need multiple cores. They need some sort of hybrid of those. For the vast majority of tasks, both will be more than adaquate on both counts for the forseeable future. Because of this, each camp (Intel and AMD) are in a position to push their preference. The debate stems from what each side thinks will happen in the future and what the person buying will need from the two systems. In most cases, they probably won't know what they really need. A person who encodes the odd video might think that more cores are invaluable for them where ST performance is more important because the are doing something else that relies on that and another person who thinks that ST performance is critical because they play game X forgets that they have 2 browsers, an office suite and 5 other applications running at the same time.

In the words of House, "the patient always lies".

Personally I feel that the R5 is a bit more forward looking and the i5 is more suited to older games. That doesn't mean that both won't be able to do the job. They will. For the vast majority of users, they won't be able to tell the difference between them by working on both computers for at least 99% of the time.

What causes agrivation is both sides refusing to even accept that the other side will also be able to do the job. Unless the user has a specific use case where one is clearly better than the other (e.g. 7700K and gaming on a 144Mhz monitor or 1800X and Blender), pretty much every $150+ CPU is capable of doing most things as can be evidenced by the linked video above. That's for right now. In the future, that may change. Some might be much better than others and vice versa. Ironically, in the video above, the fastest gaming processor is the one that had a couple of hickups on Fallout.

What date are we looking at for the new i5's? Is this still mega rumor or semi confirmed? My board just got another agesa update and my ram is still stuck at 2400, should be fixed by now and its getting annoying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What date are we looking at for the new i5's? Is this still mega rumor or semi confirmed? My board just got another agesa update and my ram is still stuck at 2400, should be fixed by now and its getting annoying lol.
    So far it's still rumours, august would be earliest, also some info available via sisoft shows the coffee lake chip running on the 200 series chipset so it might also be compatible with those when launching, maybe even 100 series as it's still the same socket if anyone can be bothered to make bios updates for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    ^ pretty much what the poster above said

nothing 100% confirmed (tech companies these days dont seem to announce much in advance), but a bunch of rumors lately point to Intel moving up Skylake-X to June, which also frees up August for Coffee Lake (officially Coffee/8-th gen is at least "2H 17")

whether its would be a paper launch of hard launch is unknown

whether the new i5 would be a 6C/6T is unknown, for now it may look that way

whether all Coffees work on 200 series and potentially 100 series is unknown, but the sisoft thing at least suggests it works on 200 mobos

Just some final feedback if I may ask. The mb lists its ram speeds only up to 2666mhz, does this mean it cant use that 3200mhz ram at that speed? Also, is 16gb necessary or can I go with 8gb, its 2 sticks of 4gb. And how's the power supply? I'm also getting Samsung evo ssd elsewhere

AMD Ryzen 5 1600, AM4, 3.2 GHz, 6-core, Boxed 1 X 249,00 €

Asus PRIME B350M-A, mATX -motherboard 1 X 109,00 €

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL OC -näytönohjain, 6GB GDDR5 + Dawn of War III 1 X 289,00 €

Seasonic 520W M12II-520 Evolution modular ATX 80 Plus Bronze 1 X 77,90 €

Western Digital 1TB WD Blue, 3.5", SATA III, 7200rpm, 64MB 1 X 59,90 €

Corsair Carbide 88R MicroATX - 1 X 55,90 €

TP-Link TL-WN881ND, N300 WLAN-adapter, PCI-E 1 X 22,90 €

G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz, 1.35V 1 X 108,00 €

Total: 971,60 €

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Just some final feedback if I may ask. The mb lists its ram speeds only up to 2666mhz, does this mean it cant use that 3200mhz ram at that speed? Also, is 16gb necessary or can I go with 8gb, its 2 sticks of 4gb. And how's the power supply? I'm also getting Samsung evo ssd elsewhere

AMD Ryzen 5 1600, AM4, 3.2 GHz, 6-core, Boxed 1 X 249,00 €

Asus PRIME B350M-A, mATX -motherboard 1 X 109,00 €

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL OC -näytönohjain, 6GB GDDR5 + Dawn of War III 1 X 289,00 €

Seasonic 520W M12II-520 Evolution modular ATX 80 Plus Bronze 1 X 77,90 €

Western Digital 1TB WD Blue, 3.5", SATA III, 7200rpm, 64MB 1 X 59,90 €

Corsair Carbide 88R MicroATX - 1 X 55,90 €

TP-Link TL-WN881ND, N300 WLAN-adapter, PCI-E 1 X 22,90 €

G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz, 1.35V 1 X 108,00 €

Total: 971,60 €
    No what it means is it has been tested at that speed and 100% functional.

They are currently updating Agesa codes to support more memory at higher speeds. only problem is..3200 MHz is a ass raping in price.

Memory and ryzen is a crapshoot, the only way you are going to get guaranteed 3200mhz is buying a kit tested by gskill on a particular motherboard, but this will get expensive fast. Talking asrock taichi and above and gskill trident cas 14 3200 kits.