Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I love how that sack of filthy fucking shit said our comments @ the FCC mean nothing and this isn't 'American Idol'.

Hes going to pay for that.
    You mean he'll get PAID for that. Quite lucrative I expect too.

just another front that will hurt the GOP's chances of staying in power going froward. it's shocking they don't see this but I guess when your eyes a stuffed with lobbyist money you can't see much.
    No it won't. When it starts to affect people in negative ways, it will be blamed on democrats and will be used to keep republicans in power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    just another front that will hurt the GOP's chances of staying in power going froward. it's shocking they don't see this but I guess when your eyes a stuffed with lobbyist money you can't see much.
    dont underestimate the Trump base.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    dont underestimate the Trump base.
    that 35-25% of the population isn't going to win you elections.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2017-05-19 at 03:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    that 35-25% of the population isn't going to win you elections, it barely did the first go around.
    I dunno man

I just thank goodness I live in an area with competing cable companies and internet providers. I used to live in an area only serviced by one company, so they could charge whatever they wanted and offer garbage customer service and support. Did you ever see that South Park episode about the cable company? It's so true to life it's scary.

The entire FCC should die except for perhaps its regulation of radio waves. Complete overreach, though in the next 15-30 years internet will rise above the ability to be regulated to the point that the FCC can't do crap about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I dunno man

whatever, you're free to feel that way.

Fantastic. As if Comcast wasn't shitty already.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Help me Goolge-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

But seriously, our ability to fuck up the most basic of things is constantly and proportionally depressing and astounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    You don't get it.

Netflix is already paying for their bandwidth. Their subscribers are already paying for their own bandwidth.

Essentially what you are calling fair is an ISP saying to a content provider "hey, we know you pay to access the Internet and we know your customers pay to access the Internet and your service but we're just gonna charge you a fee on top of that because reasons and if you don't pay it we'll just choke your service off".
    I do get it - they are charging for a service, but they would like to be charging for use, just like literally every utility company ever. I'm coming across as against net neutrality when that's not the case at all, but the sky is definitely not falling.

- - - Updated - - -

I must have more options in my area than a lot of you tho /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Darn, why is that? Is it cause them trying to do it is really slow?
    Everywhere Google is trying to build out, Google is getting sued. Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are attacking them legally to stall them, then rapidly build out fiber networks to keep Google out. Or in some cases, the incumbent cable companies plummet their prices to the point where its difficult to get people to switch to Google internet.

It's really difficult to compete against monopolies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willias View Post
    Everywhere Google is trying to build out, Google is getting sued. Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are attacking them legally to stall them, then rapidly build out fiber networks to keep Google out. Or in some cases, the incumbent cable companies plummet their prices to the point where its difficult to get people to switch to Google internet.

It's really difficult to compete against monopolies.
    I had that thought too. At least I have project fi and it's literally 1/4th of the bill my verizon wireless bill was.

This quote from the article sums up my position:

The plan "contains a hollow theory of trickle-down Internet economics, suggesting that if we just remove enough regulations from your broadband provider, they will automatically improve your service, pass along discounts from those speculative savings, deploy more infrastructure with haste, and treat edge providers fairly," Clyburn said. "It contains ideological interpretive whiplash, boldly proposing to gut the very same consumer and competition protections that have been twice-upheld by the courts... If you unequivocally trust that your broadband provider will always put the public interest, over their self-interest or the interest of their stockholders, then the Destroying Internet Freedom NPRM is for you."
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

The plan "contains a hollow theory of trickle-down Internet economics
    hahahahahah.. ahhhhhh... we're so fucked.

Wait, let me get this straight, and slap me if I err somewhere.

The US has a problem with monopolies when it comes to ISPs, which are so big and so powerful they can offer shitty service and still be top dogs, so much so that Comcast is loathed by a lot of its consumer base but is sometimes the only ISP in the area so they deal with them.

Now the US wants to reduce regulations in a market that already has a monopoly problem?

Yeah, unless I'm missing something, I can't see this being a good idea. The Comcasts and Verizon of this world will just throttle the competition even harder.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I do get it - they are charging for a service, but they would like to be charging for use, just like literally every utility company ever. I'm coming across as against net neutrality when that's not the case at all, but the sky is definitely not falling.
    You're right that other utilities do charge by usage, but unlike water and power, there's not really a finite amount of Internet to ration out. There's limited infrastructure, sure, but the solution to hitting that cap is to lay down more fiber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Wait, let me get this straight, and slap me if I err somewhere.

The US has a problem with monopolies when it comes to ISPs, which are so big and so powerful they can offer shitty service and still be top dogs, so much so that Comcast is loathed by a lot of its consumer base but is sometimes the only ISP in the area so they deal with them.

Now the US wants to reduce regulations in a market that already has a monopoly problem?

Yeah, unless I'm missing something, I can't see this being a good idea. The Comcasts and Verizon of this world will just throttle the competition even harder.
    Fuck US right?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Help me Goolge-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

But seriously, our ability to fuck up the most basic of things is constantly and proportionally depressing and astounding.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Just wanna point out that i'am currently at a friend's place in Mumbai, India and he has a 80 MB/ps line with no data caps and pays Rs.600 ($9) per month for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Just wanna point out that i'am currently at a friend's place in Mumbai, India and he has a 80 MB/ps line with no data caps and pays Rs.600 ($9) per month for it.
    slow speed but decent price. 300mb here costs me over $200/month but its also bundled with my cable tv and an useless home phone that i dont plug in.

its nice to have 3 people streaming video at one time and me playing a moba, not one person lagging