Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    After the school shootings and bombings in the 90's, I was in detention. I took a bunch of paper clips off the teachers desk, and started wrapping them around my pencil into coils. I was bored, and this amused me.

At one point the teacher asks me what I am doing. I sarcastically told him I was making a bomb. The teacher leaves the room and returns moments later with the police that the school kept on the grounds as security. I was pulled out of detention and given a stern talking to about making bomb threats. I was lucky that the teacher was also my soccer coach, and knew I was not serious, but the threat had to be taken serious due to the situations that had recently occurred.

I could have sued, I could have complained. But I did not. I didn't think about the implications of my statement at the time, but it made perfect sense to me once I was spoken to about it.

What i'm getting at is that instead of being offended, or felt discriminated against, perhaps they could have taken the time to understand that now may not be the right time to be making something that looks like a bomb when bombings are an issue.
    See? this is someone who probably grew to be a respectable member of society and someone who listens to cops when they tell him to stop, wish i could buy you a beer or something

The Patient Lothar from accounting's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Hey, as we are in full national stereotypes, is there anything more American than suing for millions on frivolous matters ?
    Suing for $17.31 because you had a shitty date?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    I didn't say suing means you iwn.

You can't sue someone for no reason. No court would look at a case that said "I'm suing this person because he told me not to make bomb threats after I made a bomb threat".

You had no grounds to sue in your situation.
    That's sort of the point. I could have done some dumb shit to get attention. But I didn't. I left it alone because once I was spoken to about it, and it was explained to me, I understood the implications of my actions.

I don't see how you are having a hard time understanding the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    See? this is someone who probably grew to be a respectable member of society and someone who listens to cops when they tell him to stop, wish i could buy you a beer or something
    I'm even the type to hook a cop up.

Last summer, it was deathly hot. I was on my way to the Sandwich Shop, and at the corner I saw a cop standing out side directing traffic around a utility workers area. While inside I bought a nice big cold bottle of water for him, and pulled up next to him and gave him the water and wished him a safe day. His eyes lit up in appreciation.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's sort of the point. I could have done some dumb shit to get attention. But I didn't. I left it alone because once I was spoken to about it, and it was explained to me, I understood the implications of my actions.

Because you're putting yourself above Ahmed when your situations were completely different.

You had literally zero grounds to sue. You made a bomb threat. A cop told you not to make bomb threats. No arrest. No penalty. No punishment of any kind.

Ahmed made a clock. Never claimed it was a bomb. Told them it wasn't a bomb. He got arrested.

You made an actual bomb threat and didn't get arrested. Ahmed made a clock and got arrested.

Do you not see how ridiculous your comparison is?
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-05-19 at 05:24 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Suing doesn't mean you win. Just like clock boy. Just because you submit a law suit, it doesn't mean you automatically win.

"EXCLUSIVE: Judge dismisses 'clock boy' lawsuit saying the school didn't discriminate against Ahmed Mohamed when the Muslim teen's teacher called the police because she thought he made a bomb

A federal judge ruled both the city of Irving, Texas and the school district do not owe damages"
    That implication when someone says "i could have sued" is that they believe there was a chance they could win.

Otherwise it's a meaningless expression because you can sue over literally anything. I could sue the GAP for not having a t-shirt in my size, or for their jeans being too tight in the thigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Because your example is completely different on many levels.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're putting yourself above Ahmed when your situations were completely different.

You had literally zero grounds to sue. You made a bomb threat. A cop told you not to make bomb threats. No arrest. No penalty. No punishment of any kind.

Ahmed made a clock. Never claimed it was a bomb. Told them it wasn't a bomb. He got arrested.

You made an actual bomb threat and didn't get arrested. Ahmed made a clock and got arrested.
    call me a racist, but if a kid brought something in my class that looked like a bomb, you best believe i'd be calling the police. This is not the time to be doing something like that.

Any wise parent who understands the unrest in this country regarding such a thing would not have allowed their child to do it.

Could you imagine a white kid wearing a trench coat walking into school with a realistic looking water gun on a hot summer day after the Columbine incident?

I'm sorry the kid and parents weren't aware enough to understand the problem they were about to cause. But hopefully it opened people's eyes to not be so ignorant.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    call me a racist, but if a kid brought something in my class that looked like a bomb, you best believe i'd be calling the police. This is not the time to be doing something like that.

Any wise parent who understands the unrest in this country regarding such a thing would not have allowed their child to do it.

Could you imagine a white kid wearing a trench coat walking into school with a realistic looking water gun on a hot summer day after the Columbine incident?

I'm sorry the kid and parents weren't aware enough to understand the problem they were about to cause. But hopefully it opened people's eyes to not be so ignorant.

It's not about calling the police. You also had the police called you.

He was physically arrested. You had a "stern" talking to. Do you not see the difference?

And you actually did something illegal.

A pencil case is not a realistic looking bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets also look at how many layers they went through until the case was dismissed. I'm not alone in thinking this was a bad move. The teachers, the cops, the judge. All thought this was a reason for concern, and not discrimination.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about calling the police. You also had the police called you.

He was physically arrested. You had a "stern" talking to. Do you not see the difference?

And you actually did something illegal.
    I was close to be arrested. It was my compliance and voucher from the teacher that allowed me to not be cuffed and brought in. He was my soccer coach, so he knew me very well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, schools are suspending kids for cutting paper into a gun shape, arresting a kid for bringing a clock to school fits logically with that.
    "clock"

He was clearly full of shit and wanted to play the victim card, which got him a lot of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Everyone knew he was full of shit, some just felt the need support him because of his skin color and religion.
    Well said. I believe what those folks did is called virtue signaling.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets also look at how many layers they went through until the case was dismissed. I'm not alone in thinking this was a bad move. The teachers, the cops, the judge. All thought this was a reason for concern, and not discrimination.

- - - Updated - - -

I was close to be arrested. It was my compliance and voucher from the teacher that allowed me to not be cuffed and brought in. He was my soccer coach, so he knew me very well.
    So... you weren't arrested even though you something illegal...?

Back to my original question, on what grounds could you have sued?

Ahmed had actual grounds to sue. You had zero.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    "clock"

He was clearly full of shit and wanted to play the victim card, which got him a lot of attention.
    Huh, a disassembled clock, put back together in a pencil case doesn't look like the clock you bought from Walmart? Shocking.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... you weren't arrested even though you something illegal...?

Back to my original question, on what grounds could you have sued?

Ahmed had actual grounds to sue. You had zero.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, a disassembled clock, put back together in a pencil case doesn't look like the clock you bought from Walmart? Shocking.
    Well considering wrapping paper clips around a pencil is not how you make a bomb, and I had no other pieces to make a bomb, nor did I say i was going to use a bomb, nor did I threaten the teacher, students, nor the school, I potentially could have sued for discrimination because of the way I looked and dressed (white kid, long hair, dark 'gothy' clothes) paired with a sarcastic comment that wasn't actually a threat.

For comparison, Telling someone you own a gun, is not the same as saying you will shoot them.

10+ Year Old Account
    "clock"

You know that's what electronics look like when disassembled right?

Or do you think every motherboard looks like a bomb?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering wrapping paper clips around a pencil is not how you make a bomb, and I had no other pieces to make a bomb, nor did I say i was going to use a bomb, nor did I threaten the teacher, students, nor the school, I potentially could have sued for discrimination because of the way I looked and dressed (white kid, long hair, dark 'gothy' clothes) paired with a sarcastic comment that wasn't actually a threat.

For comparison, Telling someone you own a gun, is not the same as saying you will shoot them.
    Telling someone you're making a bomb could very easily be interpreted as a threat. And even if not, bomb making in and of it-self is illegal, so there still would have been grounds for an arrest and investigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

A real suit case bomb looks much cleaner.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

But it has a power cord sticking out of it!! What kind of clock uses a power cord?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I potentially could have sued for discrimination because of the way I looked and dressed (white kid, long hair, dark 'gothy' clothes) .
    Yeah, those edgelord white kids are so painfully discriminated against.

You just sound like you never grew out of your angsty phase.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

A real suit case bomb looks much cleaner.
    If the clock looked that, then I could understand the arrest.

Deleted

Left is a homemade bomb, right is ahmeds clock

You have to be a fucking idiot to believe his intention was not to make it look like a bomb.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Left is a homemade bomb, right is ahmeds clock

You have to be a fucking idiot to believe his intention was not to make it look like a bomb.
    Or you know, he did something he has done plenty of times in the past and that was disassemble some electronics and rebuild them in pencil cases.

I also like half of the "homemade bomb" is not being fully shown. Have to push that narrative.