Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Not really. Expansions live about 24 months give or take about 2 months. If anyone is expecting 18 months or 30 months they're arguing for something with no precedent in reality. COULD that happen? Sure. But the highest probability is that this expansion will lead into the next one in roughly the same way as they past ones have which is announce at the Blizzcon the year after the current expansion, pre-release a few months thereafter. Alphas seem to take 1-3 months, betas around 4-5. It's just math and watching trends.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzcon would not be 2018 announce. It's in November.
    perhaps but i very much got the vib with legion that they are more concerned with content and story vs how long between xpacs that's why i expect this one to last longer
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Since I've been around for the release of all of them I'll give my thought on what could happen and why.

Class - Doubtful unless it really really fits some theme, never have we gotten a totally new class back to back in expansions.

Race - Very very likely, OR Subrace, I would be less surprised by Sub Race as coming up with a new race that fits armor models and fits the possible themes seems a stretch. I don't think Naga will end up playable, but I could easily be very wrong. I suspect Sub-Race if I'm a betting person.

Race/Class Combo - I'd put money on a decent number of these as well, as the possible themes coming (Black Army, Return of LK to a much lesser extent, Army of Light etc) sets up for expanding Priest/Paladin race/class combos for sure and maybe even Shaman.

Zones - I'd say at launch anywhere from 8 to 10...maybe more. If certain themes are addressed I could see some old world changes like Cata, but maybe a smaller extent.

BG - Maybe 1 new BG as the theme could explore some ideas for new BGs.

Arena - Doubtful, but who knows. Since Holinka has taken over PvP I'm not sure where its going nor do I keep up with it enough.

Raids - 3 tiers, spread out a lot like Legion. I think for once, we haven't seen t3 yet, they might have actually gotten their pacing right for the entire community and not just subsections ie too short so the mid level/casuals barely finish, or too long so the Top End is ultra burned out.

Those are my current guesses based on what we've gotten before. Until the theme is for sure a known it is hard to say. For certain I doubt a class, everything else is fairly up in the air. I'd like to see maybe a Witchdoctor class ranged with poisons etc, Tinker I don't much care about. But overall class wise, I'm not really seeking too much more. Race is another wall I can't figure out. Naga the models are just off to be players, especially with armor, Ogres are a little big and another one where armor becomes issue. For me personally, I'd rather see sub-races and more race class combos. But who knows where they will go. I'd also not be against a revamp of the old zones again. I enjoyed the breaking of them in cata, but would like to see them rebuilt to show time pass, it is something you either have to keep evolving over time or never do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Did WoW close down during WoD, or was it still the most sucessfull MMORPG in the world by far?
    The by far part is debatable. WoD really pushed back sub numbers. No they didn't close it down, but jsut because they dealt with the isse differently, does not mean the problem wasn't as bad. It's pointless anyway. It started with the assumption that Blizz wouldn't care what an MMO that was relaunched does. Which is completely bogus as major content patches and expansion releases always coincided. So Blizzard will definitely release some new content late june.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Since I've been around for the release of all of them I'll give my thought on what could happen and why.

Class - Doubtful unless it really really fits some theme, never have we gotten a totally new class back to back in expansions.
    We also never had a class and a race in the same expansion before MoP. Or an expansion without either a race or a class untill WoD. Blizzard likes to mix up things.
    Race - Very very likely, OR Subrace, I would be less surprised by Sub Race as coming up with a new race that fits armor models and fits the possible themes seems a stretch. I don't think Naga will end up playable, but I could easily be very wrong. I suspect Sub-Race if I'm a betting person.
    Subraces would be nice. They are a very much requested feature. It will be difficult to do for some races, but definitely less work than playable naga.
    Race/Class Combo - I'd put money on a decent number of these as well, as the possible themes coming (Black Army, Return of LK to a much lesser extent, Army of Light etc) sets up for expanding Priest/Paladin race/class combos for sure and maybe even Shaman.
    Not much to do with Priests. Orcs are the only ones who can't be priests currently. Honestly race/class combinations don't make much sense anymore. Cataclysm had some very weird justifications.

Zones - I'd say at launch anywhere from 8 to 10...maybe more. If certain themes are addressed I could see some old world changes like Cata, but maybe a smaller extent.
    They most likely won't ever do it to the extent of cataclysm till wow 2. The ones most overdue a revamp are the TBC starting zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    The by far part is debatable. WoD really pushed back sub numbers. No they didn't close it down, but jsut because they dealt with the isse differently, does not mean the problem wasn't as bad. It's pointless anyway. It started with the assumption that Blizz wouldn't care what an MMO that was relaunched does. Which is completely bogus as major content patches and expansion releases always coincided. So Blizzard will definitely release some new content late june.
    Yeah, MoP though it was pretty obvious for the reason behind a race and a class, there would be no better time to introduce both Pandas and Monks. As for WoD, it felt like the most after thought expansion in conception and really a test ground for a lot of new tech ideas, expansion on interactive questing scenarios etc. And we did get the revamp of class models, which kind of pushes me towards we could see sub-race over new race.

Agree on Race/Class combos, in this day and age they might as well scrap the you can't be this or that with this race. As we've already stretched the justifications to a breaking point. Would like to see more options of Paladins, but that is just me as a horde player who isn't a fan of playing Tuaren and I loathe Elves but their animations and armor look better so if I was to take my paladin seriously he'd probably be switched to Elf.

I agree on the Zones, but I imagine we'll be visiting some old zones depending on the theme of the expansion, but maybe not actually any revamp, but some culling of invasions or something in some of the water locked areas. But again, theme dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I don't think there will be another expansion.
    This is starting to look more and more like a possilbity.

I believe it may end up being something more like a DLC sized expansion after Legion something that goes back to the 5 level thing like Cata/MoP did but with a single patch update and thus more frequent expansions.

Ergo, its unlikley we will get many new *big* expansions after Legion, Legion feels like the last *big* expansion WoW has left in it. It also is a good option for blizzard to avoid content drought as it means more *expansions* per year keeps content fresh rather than loosing momentum over time.

If I was blizzard, the path id go is DLC-Expansions from this point on, after Legion, as it allows more realistic launch expectations and while not benig as forfilling as a full expansion, allows WoW to *slowly* ease out but keeps retention on player interest longer.

Ergo, its more likley to keep people from quitting the game because the content is more frequent.

can someone explain to me why some people are thinking that there wont be other expansions ? The game is doing much much better than it was in MoP/WoD, dafuq lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I agree on the Zones, but I imagine we'll be visiting some old zones depending on the theme of the expansion, but maybe not actually any revamp, but some culling of invasions or something in some of the water locked areas. But again, theme dependent.
    Revamp is totally possible, just not EK and Kalimdor. That was pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    can someone explain to me why some people are thinking that there wont be other expansions ? The game is doing much much better than it was in MoP/WoD, dafuq lol.
    Beats me. I wouldn't mind a relaunch as all the expansions piled on each other made things a bit messy, but why now? No idea. It would make sense I guess. If we end up using the pillars of creation and somehow heal Azeroth. But Azshara might steal the Tidestone so who knows when we can do this.

Really? How long do you think Legion will last?
    As long as people give them passes for releasing ONE quest each week and calling it the "largest content patch in WoW history"... hell they may slide Legion into 2020...

Deleted
    It's way to soon to announce the next expansion. Legion will last considerably longer than WoD.

WHat they SHOULD do is reboot WoW.

All existing characters get moved to a mausoleum page and you start completely fresh... they turn off all the patches and release wow over another 12 years. Tweaked of course...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    As long as people give them passes for releasing ONE quest each week and calling it the "largest content patch in WoW history"... hell they may slide Legion into 2020...
    Bah that's the only way. It's not like they can give tonns of content at regular small intervals. What's that? You know of a company that does that? Pff, you lie. Or something.

New race: 1 (0.83)
    That is, in my opinion, a horrible idea. Either make two races or none at all. The idea of the same race can join both fractions is not something I agree with. While I really enjoyed MoP, I did not like the fact the Pandarens could be Alliance or Horde.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    That is, in my opinion, a horrible idea. Either make two races or none at all. The idea of the same race can join both fractions is not something I agree with. While I really enjoyed MoP, I did not like the fact the Pandarens could be Alliance or Horde.
    Yeah they most likely won't do something like that again. Of course if we ever get Naga I don't know what could satisfy the other faction. If they ever ralaunch wow, or make a wow 2 ore something, maybe they can go with a third faction. A coalition of races that band together to protect themselves from the Alliance Horde conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    This is starting to look more and more like a possilbity.

I believe it may end up being something more like a DLC sized expansion after Legion something that goes back to the 5 level thing like Cata/MoP did but with a single patch update and thus more frequent expansions.

Ergo, its unlikley we will get many new *big* expansions after Legion, Legion feels like the last *big* expansion WoW has left in it. It also is a good option for blizzard to avoid content drought as it means more *expansions* per year keeps content fresh rather than loosing momentum over time.

If I was blizzard, the path id go is DLC-Expansions from this point on, after Legion, as it allows more realistic launch expectations and while not benig as forfilling as a full expansion, allows WoW to *slowly* ease out but keeps retention on player interest longer.

Ergo, its more likley to keep people from quitting the game because the content is more frequent.
    Why? Blizzard is a multi billion dollar corporation, do you know how that works? WoW can go on forever, simply because now the company has other entities to support wow, on top of its own box sales, the sub system is nothing more than peanuts at this point and could be scrapped if desired.

Probably not a normal class as that would need an order hall and artifact weapons for the 100-110 leveling, but A new hero class is possible.
    Take away the level jump and the hero class isn't so heroic. Hero classes should have 4 specs like the druid, dh is just lacking.

Bah that's the only way. It's not like they can give tonns of content at regular small intervals. What's that? You know of a company that does that? Pff, you lie. Or something.
    It's not really about "new content", it's about content that balances reward with effort. And making ALL the content reward different thigns so as to draw you into doing it all.

Now it's all ala carte and it all gives the same rewards. SO I can just do WQs and gear decently well... why do 50 dungeons this week? Why do Mythic raiding when there is HEroic, Heroic when there is normal, normal when there is LFR? A little higher iLevel? for what? so I can run the raid AGAIN the next "difficulty"?

That is just a horrible incentive.

Now if raid gear was the sweetest looking gear in the game, and I had to do normal dungeons to gear for heroics, then heroics to gear for raids, and each level provided better looking and statted gear? That would be enticing. But it's all homogenized... the gear all looks the same, an LFR hero looks just like a mythic raider.

And stats are simply no longer desirable if it is only to run the same content again.

So which is better? Rush to endgame and then grind 500 mythic+ dungeons always dropping the same lame loot... or have a game where you have to do 100 normals dungeons to gear for 200 heroics dungeons, to gear for 200 normal raids, to gear for 200 heroic raids?

Which, over a course of 9 months has a greater feel of progression?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    next expansion is defo void lords old gods, like they are not even trying to hide it anymore.

leaks should speculate the features, not the expansion, as we already know what is next

8.0 will most likely have less content than WoD. They will tell us that they focused too many resources on making Legion the best it could possibly be, and people will begin to defend 8.0 and tell everyone how much better 9.0 will be. And the cycle will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    its those stupid people who dont stop to tell that wow is death lol, yeah death with millions of core peoples playing it +a few millions playing it for his content and grinding

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    next expansion is defo void lords old gods, like they are not even trying to hide it anymore.

leaks should speculate the features, not the expansion, as we already know what is next
    I'll take that bet. Azshara and N'Zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    its those stupid people who dont stop to tell that wow is death lol, yeah death with millions of core peoples playing it +a few millions playing it for his content and grinding
    To be fair quite a few of those people only stay because of friends and/or nostalgia and never tried any MMO that isn't wow. Of course that still means millions of players that keep it alive, but maybe not for the right reasons.