Replacing GTX 555 in Alienware X51

My graphics card (1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX555) in my current computer, an Alienware X51 just over five years old, gave out last night. I am close to being done obtaining parts for my new computer, but was planning on using my X51 as a media center hooked up to my TV, so I'd still like to replace the graphics card in my X51.

I know that size is an issue with X51's but all my searches on replacements show results from years ago, suggesting graphics cards that are no longer being made. The specs for the GTX 555 are 8.25 inches long, 4.376 inches high, and dual-slot for width.

Any suggestions for a replacement that would work without having to modify the configuration? I'm willing to spend around $100.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you're just going to use it as an HTPC use the onboard video. You most likely won't be doing 4k on this system due to DRM requirements. Yes I'm aware there is non drm 4k sources like youtube and home videos but that usually can be done with the apps built into TVs or on consoles.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2017-05-19 at 09:53 PM.

I guess a Radeon RX 550 would get the job done. More than enough for a media center and has enough performance to play games like Dota 2, Overwatch etc on decent settings.

But if you're just gonna use it as a media center, try switching over to the onboard video before getting a new card.
    Think the X51 has a HDMI port going out from the motherboard, so try that one.

Edit: A Geforce GT 1030 is in the same price\performance range as the RX 550, should consider that one as well.
    Both of them are tiny cards with a low heat output, should fit your rig.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2017-05-19 at 09:54 PM.

I'm not a computer expert, but my assumption is it has already switched to the onboard video as the graphics card was disabled in Device Manager (Code 43). It is giving me a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 and only outputting to one monitor.

I am looking at the GT 730 as it is in stock at my local Best Buy, edit: pretty sure it will fit...
    Last edited by Bilbobubblin; 2017-05-19 at 10:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobubblin View Post
    I'm not a computer expert, but my assumption is it has already switched to the onboard video as the graphics card was disabled in Device Manager (Code 43). It is giving me a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 and only outputting to one monitor.
    Probably because Alienware didn't bother installing the intel hd graphics drivers. For the record, your video output won't switch to the integrated by itself. You have to physically plug a monitor into the output of the onboard. If you haven't done that, then what you're currently seeing is the broken output of the gtx 555.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2017-05-19 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobubblin View Post

I am looking at the GT 730 as it is in stock at my local Best Buy, not sure if it will fit though...
    look up the cards either on newegg or the manufactures website if its there. Neweg allways has the dimensions. If not google the card name with the maker and dimensions. I did this for my ram measuring by the MM and my video card as well.

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't know that about the onboard video... pretty interesting that a basically dead/broken card can still output some video.

I ended up going to Best Buy and getting the GT 730 for $80. Before buying I made sure to ask about their return policy, which is 15 days. So my options are still open - keep this card, return card and use onboard, or return card after getting a better one - but at least its working now...