Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    of course not. Some people are just evil or religious and will never change.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-05-19 at 09:14 PM.

I think pedophiles can and should be rehabilitated yes.

In fact, I have posted a thread on this same topic a year ago.

About 68 percent of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years, according to a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) released Tuesday.
    The report, entitled Recidivism of State Prisoners Released in 2005, is based on a BJS data collection which tracked a sample of former prison inmates from 30 states for five years following their release in 2005.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/once-a-c...ys-a-criminal/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yes. I absolutely believe that all criminals can be rehabilitated BUT not every criminal can be rehabilitated through run of the mill rehab facility. It then becomes is it financially feasible to rehab everyone and that is an emphatic NO.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    No but i believe most can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    not all know but most yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Being religious does not, in and of itself, make one evil.
    I disagree with you, but it is a free country and I respect other people opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, maybe not. The only way to find out is by trying.

Being religious does not, in and of itself, make one evil.
    Of course not. It's just used as an excuse. Those who do would be evil without it just the same, just with another excuse then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Depends on the crime, any person that is willing to physically harm another person e.g. murder, rape, or molestation I'd say probably not. Those kinds of crimes require a person to be fundamentally flawed mentally. It also depends on the circumstances, you can kill a person when it's for self defense but the latter two require premeditation and a complete lack of compassion.

For things like drug offences you could argue that the majority of those crimes shouldn't result in prison time anyway, circumstances permitting of course. Basically anything that only affects the individual committing the crime I'd say they could be rehabilitated. There's a giant spectrum of crimes though so it's hard to say really. For someone like Bernie Madoff I think that falls into the category of a mentally flawed person that's willing to financially destroy countless people for personal gain without regard for how the people will be affected.
    i wonder when it comes to murder do you count all murders? or say first degree murder where they planed it all out before hand. alot of people commit murder as a crime of passion and after words turn there lifes around years later in jail or regretting what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I think anyone can be rehabilitated but that requires more modern technology. Like the ability to wipe a person's memories effectively killing that person. Then you'd need to teach that person the basics like reading and etc, but in the end that person would have different experiences and wouldn't be a crazy person.
    wiping some ones memory wouldn't fix any mental problems that might lead them to a similar result.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    We'll use a recent story just for the sake of discussion:

http://www.wapt.com/article/boy-insi...-theft/9871713

Cliff Notes: Teens steal a car with a 6 year old in the back. Once they realized what has happened they shoot and kill the child.

I'm also curious if any charges are pending against the parent who left the child in the car in the first place.

That aside, I'm curious if anyone realistically thinks these teenagers can be rehabilitated, or at the very least, the shooter. If you do, why do you feel that way? Opinion or studies welcome.
    True evil is not common. Most people believe what they are doing is right. The problem is some learned behaviors are very hard to uncode from a persons core belief system. And often fighting those core beliefs will come with a lot of protest. So true rehabilitation takes a long path inward to a place most people do not want to go, and it takes an acceptance that you are in fact broken to begin with.

Really evil people, have wires crossed so far back in their core, that the concept of "broken" can only apply to the world, or others, and never themselves. Good people understand they and the world must change, and adapt. Evil does not adapt itself, it only changes the world to suit their particular broken self.

For instance, if I cannot satisfy a need... that's probably my fault, i'm doing something wrong. I will change myself to solve my unmet need. I will adapt, and grow and learn from my mistakes.

Bad people make incorrect assumptions that others are at fault for their own shortcomings. They attack and harm others to get their needs met, but could possibly see the fact that inside they are their own problem. If they can be shown their mistakes, and understand them as mistakes. They might be able to correct their core, and learn to grow as a person, and respect the world.

Evil people, are sure the world around them is at fault, and they are flawless. If their needs are not met, they will use the world however they choose, at the detriment of anyone and anything around them, the world is simply their toy to use, the world will meet their needs through force if necessary.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Some yes, some no. Next question.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Imo real criminals can't be rehabilitated, not talking about victimless crimes like drug possession or similar stuff but when people who intentionally go out of their way to cause death and destruction or ruin other people lives just for the joy of it. Those kinds of people should feel the full weight of the law and after they served their sentence, they should never be in position to do this kind of damage.
    wondering whats the limits of real criminal? is it just "intentionally go out of their way to cause death and destruction or ruin other people lives just for the joy" or would you apply that title to thief's robbers ect.

No.

I have known some criminals and there was no way they would ever be rehabilitated.

Some of them actually considered crime their "job" and showed basically no inclination of:
    1) Stopping
    2) that anything they were doing was wrong.

So no, I don't imagine those guys will ever be rehabilitated.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelE View Post
    of course not. Some people are just evil or religious and will never change.
    what does religious have to do with any thing? and please don't say Muslims believe they have to kill all none believes cause that's hogwash 99% don't believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    About 68 percent of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years, according to a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) released Tuesday.
    The report, entitled Recidivism of State Prisoners Released in 2005, is based on a BJS data collection which tracked a sample of former prison inmates from 30 states for five years following their release in 2005.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/once-a-c...ys-a-criminal/
    america barley try's at rehabilitation and tend to give over long sentences that robs a person of most chances to turn around when they get out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelE View Post
    I disagree with you, but it is a free country and I respect other people opinions.
    oh god your gonna start tipping your atheist fedora aren't you.

No, but at least in the US, most of them can. Especially since we have so many people imprisoned for low-level drug offenses, and many of them just need actual rehab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fixed.

filler
    IllegalOpinions.jpg

Literal thought-crimes though, how dismal. I'd expect that from some third-rate African backwater, not a sensible developed country.

No. Absolutely not. They don't deserve it. Someone that killed someone in the first degree should never have a second chance at anything.

Petty theft etc of course. However I think the issue for them is more the fact they can't get a job when they get out so they resort to doing it again in order to pay for food.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-05-19 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I wouldn't consider a lack of willingness or consent on their part to mean that they can't be rehabilitated though in the same way that not being allowed to use a nearby bucket doesn't mean you can't move water in the sense that it's literally impossible. There are reasons in that case that they won't be rehabilitated, but that's a different matter entirely.
    And I'm sorry for being contrarian here. But this is kinda important.

I have to ask myself what is a personality. Some people have weird interests. Some people have weird morals. What makes me me, is a combination of impulses, influences, genetics, environment and possibly the notion of a soul with preferences - who knows. I cannot say for sure why my morals and outlook is as they are. I can justify it to myself, and I can cook up answers to those question - but I cannot say for sure why I am as I am. What I can say is that my personality is mine, and nothing else is gonna take that away. I like the way I am.

Which is why I am ever so scared of the notion of changing personalities, even bad ones, against someones will. Imagine a dystopian future where everyone who did any crime or action countered to societal norms were subject to a forced personality change. I would fight that with everything I had. Harmony is not worth it if the cost is our individuality.

It is totally something different if the owner of that personality doesn't like it. Then sure, go for it. Change away. I'm not sure some magic pill is the best way to do so, as I think there is value in the journey of change itself. But I'll accept that solution no problem.

Bringing us to the monsters. The people whose personality isn't compatible with society. And who society must for reasons ranging between good and excuses, must lock away. I do believe these people have the right to be the personality they are. Even if the consequence is that those people must be locked up.

Now that said - I agree with the sentiment in spirit. There are many sick people out there, who would have far better lives if treatment was possible. I just don't agree to force it on them unless they want it.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    No.

And for people like the teens in this story they shouldn't even be given the chance. Their lives became forfeit the second they choose to kill an innocent child. Death sentence is acceptable.
    I vote for public flensing and evisceration.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.