Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Do your states run their own independent foreign policy? No, they don't, so therefore this is quite absurd.

What does foreign policy have to do with making regulations?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What does foreign policy have to do with making regulations?
    Recognizing Armenian genocide is very much a foreign policy statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recognizing Armenian genocide is very much a foreign policy statement.

Then guess what Texas does...... Which would mean, guess what.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://asbarez.com/163544/texas-beco...nian-genocide/

Interesting that it goes state by state.
    No, it's not. Go learn how a Constitutional Republic works, which is what the US is, not a democracy or anything else for that matter, and you'll fully understand why it goes state by state. The fact that people aren't properly taught what a Constitutional Republic is in public schools, and the fact that the US is one, should be a crime.

The US has a little thing call state sovereignty, a fact Obama ignored and liberals want to erase from the law. The ACA was a violation of state sovereignty, until John Roberts rewrote the ACA for Obama and declared it a tax. Even though the Obama administration lawyers specifically argued to the Supreme Court that the ACA was not a tax, John Roberts said it was illegal unless it was a tax, so therefore he would consider it a tax to allow the law to stand. Same thing with the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, it violated state sovereignty and inserted language into the Constitution that does not exist. There is nothing in the original Constitution or the 14th Amendment that covers sex orientation or marriage. But SCOTUS illegally inserted that language so they could violate state sovereignty.

Generally foreign relations is outside the realm of states. A nice gesture none the less though.
    Not exactly since governers also travel to other countries because each state has its own economy and some rely on selling stuff to foreign countries or importing from them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Then guess what Texas does...... Which would mean, guess what.
    But they don't have their own foreign policy. Foreign policy and relations are dictated at federal level. That's the controversy here.

Did all states individually sanction Russia for the Crimea situation for example?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Lol... as if states/countries NOT recognizing it somehow changes historical facts...
    Its more of statement about being against it happening again and letting the world know we are not ignoring it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    No, it's not. Go learn how a Constitutional Republic works, which is what the US is, not a democracy or anything else for that matter, and you'll fully understand why it goes state by state. The fact that people aren't properly taught what a Constitutional Republic is in public schools, and the fact that the US is one, should be a crime.

The US has a little thing call state sovereignty, a fact Obama ignored and liberals want to erase from the law. The ACA was a violation of state sovereignty, until John Roberts rewrote the ACA for Obama and declared it a tax. Even though the Obama administration lawyers specifically argued to the Supreme Court that the ACA was not a tax, John Roberts said it was illegal unless it was a tax, so therefore he would consider it a tax to allow the law to stand. Same thing with the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, it violated state sovereignty and inserted language into the Constitution that does not exist. There is nothing in the original Constitution or the 14th Amendment that covers sex orientation or marriage. But SCOTUS illegally inserted that language so they could violate state sovereignty.
    Wow, all that ignorance and you forgot to mention the whole its the fed who handles foreign affairs usually, which this can be seen as, or its a big nothing because the states generally have no power in that realm. Obergefell also didn't violate state sovereignty, that argument is too broad as that would imply every single case decided by the SC violates state sovereignty. They are also a United States after all.

There is plenty that's not in the original constitution that we take for granted today, like the bill of rights which did not initially apply to the states until the SC ruled most of them did. We also have the right to privacy, and many other rights that are not in the original constitution, and yet are seen as important to us today. The current framework of the second amendment as framed by the late Scalia is also not what the second amendment originally stated, thanks to Scalia the Second puts a huge emphasis are self defense in most case law now, as well as defense against limitations because of self defense.

Now before you simply regurgitate talking points you read on some blog somewhere, maybe you should actually study and learn constitutional history. Because your argument here just shows ignorance.

Also your drivel about constitutional republic and democracy is absolutely random to the topic. Learn what those words mean please. Not sure why they even are a part of your argument. the idea that things go by state by state in this country has to do with federalism vs Unitary forms of government. The US has a Federal system where there is a division between a central authority, the states, and local governments and each have their responsibilities. What a constitutional republic is has nothing to do with the topic, or your definition.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-05-20 at 12:54 AM.

But they don't have their own foreign policy. Foreign policy and relations are dictated at federal level. That's the controversy here.

Did all states individually sanction Russia for the Crimea situation for example?
    Federal government says that smoking weed is illegal. Some states have made it legal.

There are things the Federal government has a law about but they also allow the State to decided to enforce it or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Federal government says that smoking weed is illegal. Some states have made it legal.

There are things the Federal government has a law about but they also allow the State to decided to enforce it or not.
    So what does the federal government say about Armenian genocide?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post

You ignored the whole, foreign policy angle.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what does the federal government say about Armenian genocide?
    In this case they have said it's up to each state to decide on it's own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to put in some simple things to talk about with the constitution.

Did you know the main reason the founders wanted to even have a bill of rights was to make sure they were at least not forgotten? Some of them didnt even want a bill of rights because that would be too limiting. They compromised and figured the original 10 were fine enough. That is also why there is a process to have more added.

The 13th amendment section 1 is technically the only amendment that is imposed on people directly. The rest tend to say government or imply government in some form as in a limitation on government (over simplification). The 13th is not written this way and is a direct constitutional limitation on people.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-05-20 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ignored the whole, foreign policy angle.
    Sad that we need to consider foreign policy before recognizing history and facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Sad that we need to consider foreign policy before recognizing history and facts.
    Nah, it likely is not foreign policy and is just what states do, like their national bird, or plant, or what ever. I just put that text in the OP because I did find it funny how the article worded it. It also has no bearing on the official US position. If the US tomorrow declared it a genocide, and Texas revoked it to say it was not a genocide, Texas would not be doing much, as it is now.

However, I am glad many in the US, including elected officials want to recognize a horrible atrocity as a genocide, and to tell Turkey to fuck off.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-05-20 at 12:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a state's duty to recognize history and facts.

Or where is the state recognition of Earth being round and the recognition of the holocaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Except Mississippi was a state during emancipation proclamation, the other ones weren't states yet.
    The point being that it does not matter if Mississippi ever did or didn't. It became law of the land regardless. I guess we should run around saying that Massachusetts and Connecticut have been anti-free speech and Bill of Rights until 1939 as its how long it took them to ratify those!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    The point being that it does not matter if Mississippi ever did or didn't. It became law of the land regardless. I guess we should run around saying that Massachusetts and Connecticut have been anti-free speech and Bill of Rights until 1939 as its how long it took them to ratify those!
    Pretty much

When it comes to things like that, its irrelevant. The law of the land is law of the land. You dont have to like it, you can petition to change it, but that does not change it until the respective authority does it

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly.

This reminds me of the thread about the Barcelona city council or whatever saying something absolutely stupid. Was it like sanctioning Israel or something?
    Barcelona (and the Cataluña region) have been wanting to secede from Spain for a long time now, so those type of comments from there are their way of letting everyone know they aren't Spain.

Its more sad that we thing a resolution in texas is a foreign policy thing instead of what it really is......a piece of paper with words on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's a state's duty to recognize history and facts.

Or where is the state recognition of Earth being round and the recognition of the holocaust?
    http://armenianweekly.com/2017/04/17...i-state-house/

Rhode island did.

I'm sure more did but I don't think I'm the one that needs to go google information up.